X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota - Offseason Thread 2010

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
    As a roughrider, I am offended. The fact that my horse and I don't gallop at a leisurely pace and instead choose to race full boar across the prairie, sleep outside on the ground, and eat what we kill does not make it ok to use us as the moniker of a Universities sporting teams! This is another example of public insensitivity and anther avenue towards hate speech/actions on fellow roughriders, I will not stand for it in fact I am sitting down right now!
    Theodore Roosevelt once said: " I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn't inquire too closely into the case of the tenth. The most vicious cowboy has more moral principle than the average Indian"

Which makes it rather ironic that the NCAA has a major award named after him and Phil Jackson and Ron His Horse is Thunder both like Roughriders.
    Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Originally posted by PCM View Post
      Many people (including Phil Jackson and Ron His Horse is Thunder) like Roughriders. I can't say that I'm crazy about it, but it's better than some of the other options I've heard. I could live with it, but I'd like to think that we would come up with something more unique to the state and original.

My favorite, which I explained here, is Wild Nokotas. There's been a lot of discussion about this idea on SiouxSports.com. I was surprised at how many people liked it, although there are some who hate it.

You could be right because even with the approval of a strong majority from the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock tribes and being removed from the NCAA list, there's nothing that says any school has to play UND or admit it to a conference.
      Thanks PCM. I had not read that post before. Certainly it is unique among nicknames, and unique to North Dakota. But I would prefer either Fighting Nakotas or just Nakotas. And who gives a rat's *** what Phil Jackson likes?
      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
        Thanks PCM. I had not read that post before. Certainly it is unique among nicknames, and unique to North Dakota. But I would prefer either Fighting Nakotas or just Nakotas. And who gives a rat's *** what Phil Jackson likes?
        Phil has been Californicated. No nickname please.

Comment

Originally posted by omahasioux1 View Post
          Phil has been Californicated. No nickname please.
          Isn't there a law against californication? But I agree with PCM - it would be better to have a nickname, and one unique to UND and North Dakota would be best if Fighting Sioux goes away.

Comment

one unique to UND and North Dakota would be best if Fighting Sioux goes away.
            If the teams are to be renamed, I can agree with this. We should not adopte some lame, generic nickname that 28 other schools also have.
            sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
              If the teams are to be renamed, I can agree with this. We should not adopte some lame, generic nickname that 28 other schools also have.
              Huskies has a good ring to it.

I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post

I like Mavericks better. And our Maverick logo can be green to distinguish us from the Red and Purple Mavericks.

Comment

Will it be possible to just change the name and keep the logo? Because, how can a logo be hostile and abusive? spirit Lake Sioux?
                  Bob is making me concerned
                  I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                    Will it be possible to just change the name and keep the logo? Because, how can a logo be hostile and abusive? spirit Lake Sioux?
                    The tribal councils of both the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake Sioux must officially approve UND's use of the Fighting Sioux nickname.
                    Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                      I like Mavericks better. And our Maverick logo can be green to distinguish us from the Red and Purple Mavericks.
                      Beats the Banana Slugs
                      sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                        Arrgghhh.....

Comment

Arrgghhh.....
                          Talk like a Pirate Day is September 19 not April 19.
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                            Talk like a Pirate Day is September 19 not April 19.
                            Oops. I'll repost that in September, when we have a new nickname.

Comment

Oops. I'll repost that in September, when we have a new nickname.
                              Sept of 2011, since we will still be the Fighting Sioux in Sept of 2010.
                              I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

We have the endorsement from Spirit Lake, so...

Without changing the logo, the North Dakota Fighting Spirit? That would be a nice little middle finger to the NCAA/SBoHE/Standing Rock
                                Remember when you were young? You shined like the sun...

Comment

Working...
                                X