This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota - Offseason Thread 2010

I posted this in a different thread but I really like this letter to the editor:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...blisher_ID/40/

Very well written and I am in agreement that we have no nickname whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post
      I posted this in a different thread but I really like this letter to the editor:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...blisher_ID/40/

Very well written and I am in agreement that we have no nickname whatsoever.
      That's a great letter. Even before this letter I supported the idea of just being "North Dakota". The thought that it would prompt people in other places to ask why we don't have a nickname is highly appealing.
      sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

I think so also! Screw thr NCAA and the SBoHE!
        Long live the FIGHTING SIOUX!!!
        Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
          A great plan, except the Fighting Sioux don't play in Denver next season.
          Oh, so you're saying the formerly Hostile and Abusives are yellow and not even gonna show up? Typical. The Hakstols go into retreat mode.

[May hit the links this weekend if the weather cooperates. Broken Tee in Englewood. FORE! ]
          sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
            That's a great letter. Even before this letter I supported the idea of just being "North Dakota". The thought that it would prompt people in other places to ask why we don't have a nickname is highly appealing.
            I agree that the letter is excellent, but I can't agree with the idea of simply becoming "North Daktota." While Fighting Sioux fans are off sulking in the corner -- believing that they're making some sort of statement about the loss of their beloved nickname and logo -- others inside and outside the university will be pushing their ideas about how UND hockey should be defined. To me, inaction is not an option.
            Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Originally posted by PCM View Post
              I agree that the letter is excellent, but I can't agree with the idea of simply becoming "North Daktota." While Fighting Sioux fans are off sulking in the corner -- believing that they're making some sort of statement about the loss of their beloved nickname and logo -- others inside and outside the university will be pushing their ideas about how UND hockey should be defined. To me, inaction is not an option.
              I don't see going with simply "North Dakota" as either sulking or inaction, its a choice to go in a different direction. I also don't think it has a snowball's chance in the proverbial hot spot of happening, I'd put a lot of money on a bet that UND will have a new nickname. But I do like the thought of just being "North Dakota".

Comment

I don't see going with simply "North Dakota" as either sulking or inaction, its a choice to go in a different direction.
                Sorry, but this statement you made strikes me that way:
                Even before this letter I supported the idea of just being "North Dakota". The thought that it would prompt people in other places to ask why we don't have a nickname is highly appealing.
                Most people won't care why UND doesn't have a nickname. So the idea that it somehow makes a statement or sends a message will be lost on all but a few diehards. Plus, it could just as easily become a source of derision or a badge of shame for the university.

Taking a pass on choosing a new nickname certainly is inaction. If you want UND's athletic teams to get stuck with some generic, bland, feel-good nickname, offering no good options is the best way to assure it will happen.

I also don't think it has a snowball's chance in the proverbial hot spot of happening, I'd put a lot of money on a bet that UND will have a new nickname. But I do like the thought of just being "North Dakota".
                Kelley mentioned it as a possibility last week during his community forum. So I think it has more than a "snowball's chance" when UND's president brings it up.
                Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=76291

UND has submitted a bid to host the 2013 Women's Frozen Four, athletic director Brian Faison said today.

This would be the senior year for the Lamoureux twins.

Who knows if the NCAA will grant the final to Ralph Engelstad Arena with the logos in it; the NCAA was rather vague in saying what UND would need to do. UND will soon chat more with the NCAA about it.

There's no doubt it would be an attractive bid for the NCAA and there's no doubt that the Sioux figure to have a very good team that season.
                  I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Sorry, but this statement you made strikes me that way:

Most people won't care why UND doesn't have a nickname. So the idea that it somehow makes a statement or sends a message will be lost on all but a few diehards. Plus, it could just as easily become a source of derision or a badge of shame for the university.

Taking a pass on choosing a new nickname certainly is inaction. If you want UND's athletic teams to get stuck with some generic, bland, feel-good nickname, offering no good options is the best way to assure it will happen.

Kelley mentioned it as a possibility last week during his community forum. So I think it has more than a "snowball's chance" when UND's president brings it up.
                    name ONE good option. ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by wasmania View Post
                      There is no one good option that absolutely everyone will like, but there are some far better than others.

The best option is for UND to keep the nickname it has with the official approval and support of the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes. After attending Friday night's rally and walk, I'm more hopeful that it's a realistic option.

Comment

There is no one good option that absolutely everyone will like, but there are some far better than others.

The best option is for UND to keep the nickname it has with the official approval and support of the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes. After attending Friday night's rally and walk, I'm more hopeful that it's a realistic option.
                        In your opinion, what do you think the better options are? I like keeping the Fighting Sioux name, but I don't think the PC police will allow it, regardless of tribal support.
                        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                          In your opinion, what do you think the better options are?
                          Many people (including Phil Jackson and Ron His Horse is Thunder) like Roughriders. I can't say that I'm crazy about it, but it's better than some of the other options I've heard. I could live with it, but I'd like to think that we would come up with something more unique to the state and original.

My favorite, which I explained here, is Wild Nokotas. There's been a lot of discussion about this idea on SiouxSports.com. I was surprised at how many people liked it, although there are some who hate it.
                          I like keeping the Fighting Sioux name, but I don't think the PC police will allow it, regardless of tribal support.
                          You could be right because even with the approval of a strong majority from the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock tribes and being removed from the NCAA list, there's nothing that says any school has to play UND or admit it to a conference.

Comment

I wasn't aware of that. And looking back at my earlier statement that you referenced I can see where you might have read that as sulking, but it wasn't what I intended to communicate. I'm disappointed by the direction things are going, but it's far from the end of the world.
                            Originally posted by wasmania View Post
                            There are other good options, they just aren't the one we've had for the last several decades. And, as PCM stated, no matter what else is used there are people who won't be happy with it.

There are some who won't be happy with anything else no matter what it ends up being, if it isn't "Sioux". The simple fact it isn't Sioux will be all they care about. And some people will probably walk away from the school in terms of giving their financial support. But at the end of the day UND is my school, plain flat, and simple. I want the Sioux name to stay and have argued for keeping it for many years. But UND is bigger than the Sioux name and will go on with or without it, and I'll continue to financially support the school in the same ways I have for the last few years regardless.
                            Last edited by ecbrevik; 04-18-2010, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I wasn't aware of that. And looking back at my earlier statement that you referenced I can see where you might have read that as sulking, but it wasn't what I intended to communicate. I'm disappointed by the direction things are going, but it's far from the end of the world.
                              I agree. I suspect that the first national championship UND wins in hockey, football or basketball under a new moniker, many of those who jumped ship after Fighting Sioux was dropped will be back on board.

I believe that if UND is going to ask Fighting Sioux fans to jettison a great nickname and logo for the sake of the university's athletic future, it owes them a prominent place at the table in selecting a replacement. If Sioux fans forfeit the opportunity, at some point down the road, a new name will be picked and they'll have little input in the process.

That's why I'd prefer to see UND be ready to immediately adopt a new identity the year after Fighting Sioux nickname is gone. The more time that passes after that, the easier it is to ignore the voices of those who lost a cherished the tradition.

Comment

Many people (including Phil Jackson and Ron His Horse is Thunder) like Roughriders. I can't say that I'm crazy about it, but it's better than some of the other options I've heard. I could live with it, but I'd like to think that we would come up with something more unique to the state and original.

My favorite, which I explained here, is Wild Nokotas. There's been a lot of discussion about this idea on SiouxSports.com. I was surprised at how many people liked it, although there are some who hate it.

You could be right because even with the approval of a strong majority from the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock tribes and being removed from the NCAA list, there's nothing that says any school has to play UND or admit it to a conference.
                                As a roughrider, I am offended. The fact that my horse and I don't gallop at a leisurely pace and instead choose to race full boar across the prairie, sleep outside on the ground, and eat what we kill does not make it ok to use us as the moniker of a Universities sporting teams! This is another example of public insensitivity and anther avenue towards hate speech/actions on fellow roughriders, I will not stand for it in fact I am sitting down right now!
                                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Working...
                                X