Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fix the **** nets

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    If you want it to be accurate you can always have an electronic trigger in the pucks. If anyone remebers FOX's NHL coverage in the 90s they use to have a little blue circle around the pucks for normal passing and trick shots and it would turn red for slap shots and what not. Maybe implement something similar. All you would need is some sort of sensor in the puck and the net that would only activate on a goal. It would not be that costly to implement and could be outfitted rather quickly.
    Same tech is used today to put the down lines across the field for Football. Still, something better should be done for the nets, either slightly beefier netting, higher tensile strength material. Or a few more set fixed cameras so that they can get the replay right.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      First Vermont went to the Frozen Four on an overtime goal that went through a net last season. Then tonight UNH ties Cornell 1-1 with another one that went through the net. Thankfully the referees made the proper calls on both occasions, but one of these nights someone's going to get screwed on something like this, and they're going to have a legitimate beef. God forbid if it happens in the National Title game.

A puck should not go completely through the net and come out the other side. The makeup of the nets need to be changed. This is completely unavoidable and should be fixed.
      Last week at the same venue Saint Lawrence had a shot that the majority of people (including the on ice officials and both teams) thought hit the post and came right back out. A TV replay (which I didn't see as I was at the game) apparently showed the puck moving the net and coming right back out. I was told they showed the replay just before a commercial and when they came back no one commented or replayed it again.
      It's clear that some how goal calls are being missed and some without even the benefit of going to a replay or review. At least in tonights game they went to a replay. Last week the game continued and even after a TV timeout it was never even reviewed or questioned.

I don't have the answer but it sure does seem there should be some sort of technology that could/should do a better job than what is happening on the ice with the officials only.
      SLU

Comment

Heck, and if Sislo's 2nd goal was on an angle...you know, the one where he avoid two checks and then scored? That one could have blown through the net and perhaps through the boards. Butler's goal? Too good for the net to hold.
        AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Don't forget the olympics all that was left was the burn mark of the puck going through.
          dash 8
          what does North Dakota's gov't have that Minnesota won't have? A budget Surplus

Comment

Originally posted by dolan View Post
            They got rid of that because the players said it altered the pucks and made it harder to handle/shoot. I have no reason to believe it would be any different now.
            If they can put a sensor in a tennis ball without affect, I think they can certainly make it work in a puck..
            Anthem singers should not be American idol wannabes. - Dubbie31

Comment

Ok. How many pucks this year in college hockey found the back of the net? And how many went through the net?

The glass isn't supposed to break from shots, either. But sometimes it does.

Sometimes it even happens twice in a period - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4f3qkhZa7M
              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Years ago, the netting on the nets wasn't pulled so tight. If the netting was hung looser, you'd see the net itself move at least 6" or more when the puck hits it. It would then be obvious if the puck hits the netting. In addition, the puck would stay in the net much more often instead of flying out at half the speed of sound.

What is the reasoning for the tight netting anyway?
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Build the back of the net out of 3/4" plywood...that pucks not coming through there...
                  License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

Use the chainlink nets that are on outdoor rinks.
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Wait until one of the big boys (Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, BC, BU, etc.) gets screwed. We'll have a riot on our hands around here, and rightfully so.
                      It happened to MN against NMU in a regional game many years ago, and the Gophers wound up losing because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Years ago, the netting on the nets wasn't pulled so tight. If the netting was hung looser, you'd see the net itself move at least 6" or more when the puck hits it. It would then be obvious if the puck hits the netting. In addition, the puck would stay in the net much more often instead of flying out at half the speed of sound.

What is the reasoning for the tight netting anyway?
                        The nets are supposed to be tight enough that the puck doesn't lay on the back of the net. I'm not sure there is an easy fix to the problem. Loosen the nets and the puck stays in but lays on the back of the net. Or shrink the holes in the net which will make it more difficult to see in the net. Personally, I'd like to see the nets loosened up a bit.

Comment

Yeah, the New Jersey Nets are pretty terrible. I don't know what it'll take to fix them, I don't watch basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            Umm, early round NCAA playoff between UMN and NMU (?) it happened to the Gophs then. Shot one through the net and the refs and goal judge were the only ones in the building who didn't see it.
                            Correct, 1980 v. NMU. Aaron Broten shot IIRC.
                            Last edited by Greyeagle; 03-27-2010, 03:17 PM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I saw this happen once at the Dane County Coliseum. Denver got screwed and it cost them the game. We were sure live that it had happened, and we went home and watched the WPT replay and sure enough, puck went through the net. In this case there was actually a broken twine in the net. We went down behind the net the next night and the hole was still there.

I agree, this should never happen. I can't believe it can't be addressed by a redesign of the net.

Comment

Brad May video upcoming here.

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_v0HSV6yIYQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_v0HSV6yIYQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">
                                Instead of netting, make the net "enclosure" out of that tempered glass that shatters. The goal judge can see the puck if it just skids on the ice into the net, and a blazing shot will not go through the "net", it will hit the glass "net" and shatter; then simply replace the cage!! That was easy.

* Before you guys hammer me, of course I'm kidding!*
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X