Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tier I & Tier II MA Girls's to Nationals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tier I & Tier II MA Girls's to Nationals?

Who are they? I can not find anything on for Mass on this?

Other districts yes...

Who is going to Green Bay?

Who is going to Lansing, MI

Re: Tier I & Tier II MA Girls's to Nationals?

Originally posted by NoGo View Post
    Who are they? I can not find anything on for Mass on this?

Other districts yes...

Who is going to Green Bay?

Who is going to Lansing, MI
    Did Mass really figure out a way to send a 19U Tier I team to the Tier II in Lansing to represent the district? Is this just a rumor?

Comment

Did Mass really figure out a way to send a 19U Tier I team to the Tier II in Lansing to represent the district? Is this just a rumor?
      Looks that way

Comment

What are girls's?

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
          What are girls's?
          What Golum chased before he lost his ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
            What Golum chased before he lost his ring.
            Girls's would be real bad Englishs's....don't think Golum ever chased any girls's thou...

Comment

There's at least one other district that is sending a team that for years has competed at the Tier 1 level (and gone to National's a time or 2). So it's not just 1 team probably multiple ones. Those teams should dominate the play.
              Last edited by PapaStars; 03-25-2010, 02:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Tier 1
                U12 - East Coast Wizards, Assabet Valley
                U14 - Assabet Valley, East Coast Wizards
                U16 - Assabet Valley
                U19 - Assabet Valley

Tier 2
                U12 - Bay State Breakers
                U14 - Bay State Breakers
                U16 - Massachusetts Spitfires
                U19 - Massachusetts Spitfires

There was only one National Bound state tournament held in Massachusetts. The winners (and finalists in the case of U12 and U14) qualified for Tier 1 and the finalists (3rd place in the case of U12 and U14) qualified for Tier 2. The caveat was that if a program qualified a team in one age group at Tier 1 then it could not send a team in another age group to Tier 2.

I agree that this is a bit of a sandbag job. All 4 teams going to Tier 2 Nationals played a "Tier 1" schedule (top division of the NEGHL and Polar Bear tournaments). Bay State even won the top tier of the Polar Bear tournament which included more than half of the field that will be in Green Bay (Assabet, Wizards, Mid-Fairfield, CT Northern Lights, Anaheim Lady Ducks, Buffalo Bisons, Montgomery Blue Devils)!!

Anything less than a sweep of the Tier 2 nationals will have to be considered a disappointment...

Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that "Tier 2" is so loosely defined and unclear...Massachusetts has the opposite problem at Nationals on the boys side, routinely getting pounded by 7-10 goals (no exaggeration, especially at U12 and U14) by sending pure town teams.

I'm not sure what the answer is for Massachusetts girls, but two options would be:

1. Send town teams
                2. Send the best "2" team from the club programs

The first scenario would result in the blowout losses the boys experience. The second scenario would likely be no different than what we will likely see in Lansing...

Comment

Originally posted by PapaStars View Post
                  There's at least one other district that is sending a team that for years has competed at the Tier 1 level (and gone to National's a time or 2). So it's not just 1 team probably multiple ones. Those teams should dominate the play.
                  Who are you talking about? The Ducks? Alliance Bulldogs?

Just because teams may have gone to the Tier I in the past does not mean that they should not be in Tier II now. When there is no other option then those teams have gone Tier I.

Take the 19U Alliance Bulldogs from Texas for example. This team was the Ice Jets 2004-2006, Texas Attack 2006-2008, Dallas Stars 2008-2009. This has been the same head coach, same group of players and same association with different names. Here is the history…

2005 12U First and only trip to Tier I
                  Ice Jets defeated Co Selects AA team at Districts in AZ’ defeated the Texas Blaze in Championship game. Went on to go 1-2-1, made the final 8, and were beat by Assebet 4-1 in the first game on Saturday morning. By the way…Co Selects were the host and sent their AAA straight to districts…

2006 14U minor…Loss to AZ Selects and Co Selects AAA in pool play in Denver. Beat the Co Selects AA and Texas Blaze in pool play. All players were 13 or younger.

2007 14U Loss to Co Selects AAA Championship game 3-1 down in Houston. Darn near tied it up with less than a minute but gave up a empty netter with <30 secs, After this game they loss a top defender to NAHA and 2 players to SSM

2008 16U minor Loss to Co Selects AAA team in AZ 8-0 in pool play and 8-1 in the Championship game. #2 goal point scorer for 2 consecutive years moved to Baltimore after this season.

2009 Loss to Co Selects AAA in Denver in a best of 3 series, with very close games. The best Co Selects ’92s (Fry, Turgeon, Gross etc) were all on the 19U AAA, so they had a better chance.

2010 19U team with 2 -’91, 6 - ’92, 5 – ’93, 4- ’94 & 1 – ’95. 55% of the team is 16 or under…
                  There were 24 girls who tried out for this team in May 2009. The team played a Tier I schedule when they went to Nike Bauer & Polar Bear. In games against top Tier 1 teams the scores were:
                  Loss to New Jersey Rockets 8-2
                  Loss to CT PB 6-1
                  Loss to CT PB 3-0
                  Loss to Chicago Mission 8-0

On a friendship weekend to Chicago where they played the Mission, they also played against Chicago Young American (0-0 tie & 4-2 win) and Naperville Highs School (Bulldogs won - Naperville won the Girl's Illinois State High School Championship this past weekend...)

This team has NEVER beaten the top team out of Colorado. Most likely they never will be able to. Colorado routinely has 60+ girls try out for their top teams. They have AAA, AA, & A teams. Yes Alliance did win the district tournament and played strong there. The games were a little closer then the final scores show. At the end of the second period in 3 pool play games the score was difference was 1. The biggest lead after 2 periods was in the championship game were the score was Alliance 3 Co Sel 0, with the final being Alliance 4 Co Sel 2. The Alliance Bulldogs 19U is a solid Tier II team and average to less than average Tier I team.

In looking at the other districts they seemed to figure it out. If you are talking about the Ducks I can see why they went Tier II at 19U. They had a 12U team win a Tier I championship a few years back..the 19U lost a top ’92 forward to prep school. The association made a good call here. They will be a solid team in Tier II, but based on their record this tear they are not sandbagging. They did send their 16UAAA, 14UAAA & 12UAAA to Tier I.
                  Last edited by NoGo; 03-29-2010, 09:09 AM.

Comment

These two comments seem to contradict each other…
                    Originally posted by girlshockeyfan View Post
                    I agree that this is a bit of a sandbag job. ...
                    Anything less than a sweep of the Tier 2 nationals will have to be considered a disappointment...
                    The second one is the one that makes it look like the folks that run girl’s hockey in Mass are focused on collecting up championships…I am trying to figure out if you are trying to be funny, or sarcastic or if this is just a display of smug hubris…

You said:
                    Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that "Tier 2" is so loosely defined and unclear...
                    So are you indicating that the folks in Mass cannot figure that out? So if Assebet Valley has a 19U Red team and 19U White team then would the better team be the Tier 1 team? The next team the Tier II team? The Spitfires have a top 19U team and #2 19U team correct? That is what their web site says. In following score this year I see where the 19U Spitfires played well against the top team from Assebet Valley, and routinely beat the #2 team by 3 or more goals. Perhaps that is part of the growing pains with the Tier II program.

I'm not sure what the answer is for Massachusetts girls, but two options would be:
                    1. Send town teams
                    2. Send the best "2" team from the club programs...
                    The answer to your question will be # 2…

The first scenario would result in the blowout losses the boys experience. The second scenario would likely be no different than what we will likely see in Lansing...
                    Really? Well we will have to wait and see what the powers that be in Mass determine for next year.

What Mass appears to have done for this year is to twist the sprit and intent of the new USA Hockey Tier II Girl’s Championship in an effort to claim a perceived birth right of Mass girl’s players…
                    Sad part is that the girls that play on Spitfires will get the blame for winning. That is wrong. It is not their fault that district officials display smug hubris…

May be wrong, but here is my prediction…

Final Four
                    Alliance Bulldogs
                    Lady Ducks
                    Mass Spitfires
                    Saint Claire Shores

Any of those three teams has a chance to disappoint you. That is why they play the games, correct?
                    Last edited by NoGo; 03-26-2010, 12:32 PM. Reason: to eliminate Golum spelling issues

Comment

[QUOTE=girlshockeyfan;4720603]Tier 1
                      U16 - Assabet Valley
                      U19 - Assabet Valley

Tier 2
                      U12 - Bay State Breakers
                      U14 - Bay State Breakers

I agree that this is a bit of a sandbag job. All 4 teams going to Tier 2 Nationals played a "Tier 1" schedule (top division of the NEGHL and Polar Bear tournaments)."

This is actually a pretty "sad" situation when USA Hockey allows a district to send Tier 1 teams to the Tier 2 national tournament. In every other district that I know of, you have to declare whether you are Tier 1 or Tier 2. The Mass Spitfires u16 team is ranked the 9th best Tier 1 team in the US. They won 1-0 over Team Pittsburgh who finished 2nd in the Tier 1 Elite League Standings only to Little Caesars u16 which is the top team out of Michigan this year! And the Mass Spitfires u19 team has SEVERAL d-1 prospects including a goalie who is going D-1 this year! I wonder how she will feel playing in a Tier 2 tournament against teams that typically play in "B" brackets in tournaments. I don't usually say much, but I have to cry FOUL here. I guess Mass isn't happy with just Assabet winning most levels every year!

Comment

[QUOTE=pakidnyc;4728008]
                        Tier 1
                        U16 - Assabet Valley
                        U19 - Assabet Valley

Tier 2
                        U12 - Bay State Breakers
                        U14 - Bay State Breakers

I agree that this is a bit of a sandbag job. All 4 teams going to Tier 2 Nationals played a "Tier 1" schedule (top division of the NEGHL and Polar Bear tournaments)."

This is actually a pretty "sad" situation when USA Hockey allows a district to send Tier 1 teams to the Tier 2 national tournament. In every other district that I know of, you have to declare whether you are Tier 1 or Tier 2. The Mass Spitfires u16 team is ranked the 9th best Tier 1 team in the US. They won 1-0 over Team Pittsburgh who finished 2nd in the Tier 1 Elite League Standings only to Little Caesars u16 which is the top team out of Michigan this year! And the Mass Spitfires u19 team has SEVERAL d-1 prospects including a goalie who is going D-1 this year! I wonder how she will feel playing in a Tier 2 tournament against teams that typically play in "B" brackets in tournaments. I don't usually say much, but I have to cry FOUL here. I guess Mass isn't happy with just Assabet winning most levels every year!
                        Doesn't seem fair. If the state final is Assabet vs Spitfires for the Tier ! spot, why would the loser get to go to Tier II

Comment

Hux,

You are From Mass. Can you comment/clarify this, why the loser of Tier I final goes to Tier II

Comment

It is not without precedent. Districts make their own rules on who goes. Last year, I know at least one boys district that did this (New England?).

Last year, Mid-Fairfield Blues Tier I U16 (boys) team unexpectedly lost the District Championship game to a team they pounded all year. As the #2 team, they went to the Boys U16 Tier II Championships and promptly pounded everyone there winning the quarter, semi and final games 9-1, 6-2 and 6-1.

Comment

My understanding in Mass is that teams registered as National bound and no distinction was made as to Tier level. Losing finalist teams were then considered eligible for Tier 2 Nationals as long as no other team from that program was going to Nationals at the Tier 1 level.

Comment

Working...
                              X