SNC offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNC offseason thread

I figured we might as well start an offseason thread. My first order of business is to offer some final thoughts on the 09-10 season.

Overall they exceeded my expectations. I went into it thinking a top 2 finish in the NCHA, an appearance in the Peters Cup final, and an NCAA bid would be a pretty solid season based on some of the non-seniors they lost. I guess I would have thought any banner would be a success, whether it was a regular season championship, a Peters Cup, or a Frozen Four. They did all of those things. Special thanks to the Seniors for helping the program attain 3 regular season NCHA Championships, 3 Peters Cup Championships, 1 NCAA Semi-Final appearance, 1 NCAA runner-up finish, and 1 National Championship.

Great things from last season -
    **The tone was set early when they went over and dominated a couple of games against Stout.
    **They had a couple of stinkers (Salem State and Eau Claire) but they bounced back quickly and led wire to wire in the NCHA.
    **Taking care of business so decisively in the NCHA playoffs was a real highlight.
    **I know many, including myself, who had major doubts about O'Brien in goal and were uneasy about them not bringing in someone else to at least challenge for playing time. I remember saying in private conversations I wasn't sure they could get to a Frozen Four with him in goal. He really stepped it up and played like some told us he could, so I humbly say I was clearly wrong.
    **Last but not least, I thought this may have been Tim Coghlin's best overall coaching job of his career. They played with discipline, were again dominant at home, played consistently hard, got some marked improvement from guys coming back, and blended in some new guys nicely. He seemed to tinker more than I'd noticed in the past to get certain guys on the ice in certain situations and more often than not the correct buttons were pushed.

Pleasant surprises from last season -
    **The freshman blended in nicely.
    **O'Brien improved by quite a bit as I elaborated on above.
    **Johan Ryd improved by leaps and bounds. He was an effort guy who skated well last season in the handful of games he played, but I wasn't sure of his overall skill level. He played a lot more and a lot better than I would have ever guessed.
    **The Ryd/Pulak/Longley line was handed quite a bit of responsibility by the middle of the season in generally taking the ice against the other team's top line. Down the stretch they were terrific and put up 15 points between them in 6 post-season games despite not really being looked upon to score as their primary duty.

Disappointments from last season -
    **I think it's human nature to think your team could have gone one step further than it did and it's a bitter pill to swallow to think all you needed was 1 more goal in almost 100 minutes of hockey to get another National Championship. At home it was hard to recognize they were down 2 bodies for half the game, certainly contributing to them running out of gas. As bad as you want it and as much as it stings at the time, I'm not about to deem this result a disappointment after stepping back.
    **My only major concern in the big picture was the lack of consistent power play production. Since they are losing two very skilled forwards from the top PP line in Wheeler and Boyd they'll have some work to do.
    Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
    2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
    2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
    Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Re: SNC offseason thread

Congratualtions! Ya done good.
    Oswego State 1980 Grad
    (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

I look at it this way, we were #1, and you were #1.01.

Saturday's championship game was the best DIII hockey game I have ever seen, eclipsing the Midd/NU 2OT semi (won by Midd ) in 2004 for me.

Looks like you've got a lot of talent coming back.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Great season summary MW..
        Couple more observations:
        1 -- Thanks to the senior class (Wheeler, Allen, Boyd, Tikka, Nopper, Fylling & Szkodzinski). Provided the leadership throughtout the season to get this team to the National Championship game. These seniors got to the FF three out of their four years
        2 -- This season was one of most satisfying I have experienced as a long time SNC traveler. The two game sweep at Stout got the season off to the right start. Showed the newcomers what it takes to be a consistent winner in the NCHA.
        3 -- It was great to meet all the SNC faithful in Lake Placid. Had the opportunity to get to visit with several of the parents I had not met previously.
        4 -- I was very impressed that SNC president, Thomas Kunkel, traveled with the team.
        5 -- The long drive was well worth it....with all three games decided by one goal. Jim & Scooter were great travel partners...
        6 -- The third period of the Oswego -- SNC game was one the very best 20 minutes of hockey I have ever seen. It was described as a 'fight among heavy weights'.
        7 -- Also agree with MW, that Coach C. and staff did a masterful job in fitting all the pieces together in melding this team for the run to LP. No super stars on this team, just a group of hard working young men.
        Last edited by pete99race; 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM.
        SNC Men:
        Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
        SNC Women:
        O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

A Norwich 21 GUN salute to the SNC team and fans--usually reserved for heads of state.

On Friday afternoon, I was rooting for you guys to take Oswego out of Saturday's equation--simply because greedy me didn't want to have Norwich have to deal with OSU. Thanks for that bit of heavy lifting but I didn't count on the lesson you gave Norwich in endurance Saturday night. No doubt for you, it was a 100 minute heartbreaker but you have so much to be proud of by being part of the most dramatic and spectacular DIII playoff game in history.

No one doubts that your club will be in the hunt again next year in the Final Four. Me? I shall be heading west to Minneapolis for some of that great Mid-Western hospitality. Hopefully we will be bringing our Cadet team with us so our teams can "visit again". And special cheers to the four SNC fans I met in a saloon Friday night. Nice guys and great SNC fans.

Thanks again for all. Great game SNC. Good luck in 2010-11
          Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
          Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
            A Norwich 21 GUN salute to the SNC team and fans--usually reserved for heads of state.

On Friday afternoon, I was rooting for you guys to take Oswego out of Saturday's equation--simply because greedy me didn't want to have Norwich have to deal with OSU. Thanks for that bit of heavy lifting but I didn't count on the lesson you gave Norwich in endurance Saturday night. No doubt for you, it was a 100 minute heartbreaker but you have so much to be proud of by being part of the most dramatic and spectacular DIII playoff game in history.

No one doubts that your club will be in the hunt again next year in the Final Four. Me? I shall be heading west to Minneapolis for some of that great Mid-Western hospitality. Hopefully we will be bringing our Cadet team with us so our teams can "visit again". And special cheers to the four SNC fans I met in a saloon Friday night. Nice guys and great SNC fans.

Thanks again for all. Great game SNC. Good luck in 2010-11
            Old Rook:

I would also like to say that it was nice meeting you and your group in the bar for some very good conversation. I look forward to seeing you in Minnesota next year. I would say that the lion share of college fans were great for the weekend. The only issues of fan abuse that I encountered was from some idiot Can Am follower from New Jersey who wanted to let us know that East coast hockey was king. Other than that, I can say that I met many great fans from all of the teams represented. Again, congrats to Norwich on the championship and congrats to all 4 teams for representing their respective schools on and off the ice.

TBB
            SNC: 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
              Great season summary MW..
              Couple more observations:
              1 -- Thanks to the senior class (Wheeler, Allen, Boyd, Tikka, Nopper, Fylling & Szkodzinski). Provided the leadership throughtout the season to get this team to the National Championship game. These seniors got to the FF three out of their four years
              2 -- This season was one of most satisfying I have experienced as a long time SNC traveler. The two game sweep at Stout got the season off to the right start. Showed the newcomers what it takes to be a consistent winner in the NCHA.
              3 -- It was great to meet all the SNC faithful in Lake Placid. Had the opportunity to get to visit with several of the parents I had not met previously.
              4 -- I was very impressed that SNC president, Thomas Kunkel, traveled with the team.
              5 -- The long drive was well worth it....with all three games decided by one goal. Jim & Scooter were great travel partners...
              6 -- The third period of the Oswego -- SNC game was one the very best 20 minutes of hockey I have ever seen. It was described as a 'fight among heavy weights'.
              7 -- Also agree with MW, that Coach C. and staff did a masterful job in fitting all the pieces together in melding this team for the run to LP. No super stars on this team, just a group of hard working young men.
              Pete:

I could not say any better. Ditto from me with the addition of thanking my travel partners-Pete, Scooter, Jim, Dave, Jerry, and Kieth for finishing off all of the beers and great laughs after the tourney concluded.

Special thanks to the Seniors who have certainly made their mark in the SNC history books with all of their success. Thanks to all!
              SNC: 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toe Blake's Brother View Post
                The only issues of fan abuse that I encountered was from some idiot Can Am follower from New Jersey who wanted to let us know that East coast hockey was king.
                Sadly even the best of events will turn out the ash and the trash of any sport. We all had a great time and that is what is important. See you guys next year in the Twin Cities. Cheers.
                The Old Rook
                Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Toe Blake's Brother View Post
                  The only issues of fan abuse that I encountered was from some idiot Can Am follower from New Jersey who wanted to let us know that East coast hockey was king.
                  I freely admit I've only been following college hockey for about 15 years, but I don't recall SNC or UW being dominated by teams from New Jersey. I love hammering down idiots like this. I wish I could have been there.

Comment

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I was a big fan of Shane and Sam when they were in fairbanks on the icedogs, and got to see both games this weekend. I'm now looking for either a game jersey or a good authentic or replica jersey (home or away). Does anyone know where to get one? I saw several at the game, but can't find them for sale anywhere online.

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                      I freely admit I've only been following college hockey for about 15 years, but I don't recall SNC or UW being dominated by teams from New Jersey. I love hammering down idiots like this. I wish I could have been there.
                      I don't know, I don't think either team has ever beaten a team from NJ
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by grawk View Post
                        I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I was a big fan of Shane and Sam when they were in fairbanks on the icedogs, and got to see both games this weekend. I'm now looking for either a game jersey or a good authentic or replica jersey (home or away). Does anyone know where to get one? I saw several at the game, but can't find them for sale anywhere online.
                        SNC/CCC Pro Shop http://www.cornerstoneicecenter.org/...op/default.asp (better luck here for jerseys)

SNC Bookstore: http://www.bkstr.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10001
                        Last edited by SNC23PRIDE; 03-25-2010, 06:49 AM.
                        You Just Can't Hide that Green Knight Pride!
                        National Champs 2008, 2011

St. Norbert Hockey Webcast
                        UW-Stevens Point Hockey Webcast
                        SNC's 2006 NCAA Tournament Run Pics
                        SNC's 2007 Tournament Run Pics & Videos
                        SNC's 2008 Tournament Run Pics
                        UWSP Men's Hockey 06-07 Pics & Videos
                        UWSP Men's Hockey 07-08 Pics & Videos
                        2005 Honorable Mention: The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey’s “Benedict Arnold Award” for Outstanding Turncoat.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                          I don't know, I don't think either team has ever beaten a team from NJ
                          I guess we'll call it a draw then, which hardly makes New Jersey dominant.

Question. Did I see something during the Frozen Four that Tim is 5 wins away from becoming the NCHA's all-time winningest coach? I know Bob Peters put up probably 200 more wins overall during his long career, but I'm thinking maybe 2/3 of them were in the NCHA. {paging Dan} I hope he coaches here another 20 years so maybe it won't happen for a very long time, but am I crazy to think someday teams might be playing for the Coghlin Cup for a regular season title or he might have the conference coach of the year award named after him?

Comment

From my updated notes:

St. Norbert coach Tim Coghlin (UW-Stevens Point, 1989) is 365-104-39 in his 17th season in De Pere. Coghlin owns a glossy 64-22-4 all-time post-season record. The Green Knights are 221-35-22 in the last nine seasons. Coghlin’s 355 wins as a coach in the NCHA is 15 short of Bemidji State’s Bob Peters’ record of 370 (St. Norbert did not play in the NCHA in Coghlin’s first year). Coghlin’s teams have 11 NCAA Division III Tournament appearances, 11 NCHA regular-season championships, eight NCHA Peters Cup titles, six NCAA Division III Frozen Fours and one NCAA Division III championship. He was the captain of UW-Stevens Point's 1989 national champion.

Comment

Thanks Dan. I missed a digit. Needing 15 wins it should be later next season then instead of early next season.

Comment

Working...
                              X