Expand The Brackets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expand The Brackets?

If the BB guys can talk about expanding to 96 teams (when a #16 hasn't EVER beaten a #1), why can't we talk about a modest expansion from the fiels of 16? What I'd like to see is and expansion from sixteen to 20 or 22 teams, with Nos. 17-20 or 22 playing a "playin game" against Nos. 13-16.
    There are always teams that end up on the outside looking in, but #17 probably is usually more deserving of a chance that a #21 or 23. For example,
    Ferris State was a top ranked team all year and didn't make the field becasue of a couple close losses. Whatdaya think?

Re: Expand The Brackets?

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
    If the BB guys can talk about expanding to 96 teams (when a #16 hasn't EVER beaten a #1), why can't we talk about a modest expansion from the fiels of 16? What I'd like to see is and expansion from sixteen to 20 or 22 teams, with Nos. 17-20 or 22 playing a "playin game" against Nos. 13-16.
    There are always teams that end up on the outside looking in, but #17 probably is usually more deserving of a chance that a #21 or 23. For example,
    Ferris State was a top ranked team all year and didn't make the field becasue of a couple close losses. Whatdaya think?
    Because the field is already large compared to the number of teams overall. As it stands, over a quarter of total teams make it to the tournament. 96 teams in basketball would be proportionately equivalent to the current hockey bracket.

Comment

No.

Comment

Expand The Brackets?

Remember all, Holy Cross beat Minnesota a few years ago so parity exists a lot more in D1 hockey that basketball.

Comment

Remember all, Holy Cross beat Minnesota a few years ago so parity exists a lot more in D1 hockey that basketball.
          That isn't a reason to include more schools. Any school is capable of an upset or two, but the schools all knew what it had to do all year to make the tourney. The ones that didn't make it didn't do it. 16 out of 58, as has been said, is already over the recommended 25%.

I am not a fan of continually watering down sports tourneys.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Absolutely not. If anything, it will get scaled back down to 12 teams at 2 regionals again, but it won't be expanding anytime soon until the BTHC is established
            I keed, I keed, but I had to.

Comment

65 teams over 348 schools is what we have in D-1 college hoops. That ratio in hockey would lead to an 11-team NCAA tournament.

We're lucky to have a 16 team tournament as it is.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by richl49 View Post
                No.
                What he said.
                Originally posted by mookie1995
                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  We're lucky to have a 16 team tournament as it is.
                  Correct. They may start pushing it back to 12.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Hockey should beat basketball to the punch and have a 96 team tournament. Include 38 DIII teams.
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

like most, i am reading this as a thinly veiled "my team got screwed" thread, so with that in mind...

in agreement with everyone else that it does not need to be expanded. 16 is a quarter of the total teams playing d1 hockey.

that said, when looking at ferris state, they were 11th in RPI, 14th in KRACH and 15th in the Pairwise. Ferris didn't take care of their business during the regular season/playoffs, and their overall record, while impressive at 21-13-6, was against the 30th ranked schedule in college hockey... their out of conference schedule was weak at best, 6-2-0 against Robert Morris (2-0), Canisius (1-1), Uconn (2-0), Merrimack (1-0) and Yale (0-1).

a "couple of close losses" did not keep them out of the tournament. If you are going to play a weak OOC schedule (1 game vs a TUC), then you need to get it done in conference, which they often times did not. (0-3-2 vs miami, 0-2-0 vs alaska, 1-1-0 vs michigan state, 1-1-0 vs michigan, 0-2-1 vs nmu). their overall record against tucs of 6-10-3 kept them out. 15-3-3 against non-tuc.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                        like most, i am reading this as a thinly veiled "my team got screwed" thread, so with that in mind...
                        Incorrect. Fricker is not a Ferris poster.

A couple of close losses did keep Ferris out: The two that we took last weekend. If we win either game, or tie on Saturday, we are not having this conversation.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                          Hockey should beat basketball to the punch and have a 96 team tournament. Include 38 DIII teams.
                          I think the opposite should happen. They should just have the conference winners play in a tournament. If you can't win your own conference, you don't deserve crap.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            I think the opposite should happen. They should just have the conference winners play in a tournament. If you can't win your own conference, you don't deserve crap.
                            That's a good idea. In fact, they should just give the national championship to the team that wins the conference tournament of the best league.

8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Heck, that's what they do in the NYSPHSAA. Perhaps put in three wild cards (since we're going to 5 conferences), and then have a best 2-out-of-3 for the play-in round, and then your frozen four? Or, take your suggestion, have a national frozen five, and then a play-in game to the frozen four.

Comment

Working...
                              X