Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expand The Brackets?

Originally posted by jonnyquest View Post
    How can anyone talk about expanding the tourney field since we've lost four programs and a conference since 2003?
    The crazy offseason newbie threads are coming in early this year.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I say expand the brackets. What would be better than more College hockey to watch.

Comment

I say eight teams selected in a smoke filled room play two-game total goals series on campus sites with beer for all. Old time hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
          I say eight teams selected in a smoke filled room play two-game total goals series on campus sites with FREE beer for all. Old time hockey.
          I edited your post.
          Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

How about a round-robin tourney, with each each team visiting each others' barns?

It is really the fairest way to do it.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Forget the tournament all together.
              All 58 teams should just get a "Thank You For Participating" plaque.
              Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                I edited your post.
                Ahh, all good Freds think alike.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  Hockey should beat basketball to the punch and have a 96 team tournament. Include 38 DIII teams.
                  Cant believe it, but Im with Dirty. and if the D!!! schools cant free up the schedules, then extend it to HS teams.

stev

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                    Even as a fan of the second team out this season, I still say no. For a 58-team division, our tournament's the perfect size. Absolutely no changes are needed or necessary.
                    Which is exactly why the NCAA would do it.
                    If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Expand The Brackets?

I just threw this out to see the reactions. Interesting, especially the sour grapes post. No matter how many teams are in the draw, the next one not
                      selected is going to be upset. I agree that we don't want to water down the field by overloading it, but there is more parity in D1 hockey, and I think it
                      could handle a modest expansion. I guess the bottom line summary is, "if
                      it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Comment

Originally posted by WILD E WOLVERINE View Post
                        No going back - 12 teams meaning a team could possibly need only 3 wins for a national championship...no way. I like the 16, if college hockey expands expand the tournament.
                        So you're saying that no national title won before 2003 was worth all that much? Interesting...
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

College hockey should expand the tourney to 36 heck lets have everybody make the tourney.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Tournament expansion is dumb... even in BB.

Both the NCAA hockey tournament and NCAA basketball tournament work fine the way they are. Honestly what bubble school this year in hockey can really say it deserves to be in the tournament? If you can't get up to whatever is required for the year as an at-large (14 this year) then you shouldn't be in the tournament. If you didn't make the tournament, you didn't take care of business. We on the BU forum know with two regular season victories @ UVM we would have made it high enough to get into the tournament, but we didn't so we stay home, no *****ing.

58 teams... 16 in the tournament = 27.6
                            347 teams... 65 in the tournament = 18.7

If college basketball does expand to 96 teams (which is a stupid idea) the percentage will be 27.66 or pretty much the same as the current hockey system. Why would bubble teams even want the tournament expanded? It's supposed to be something you EARN! As a Northwestern basketball fan (go ahead, joke away) I'll be ****ed if the tournament expands to 96 teams next year and it becomes the first year the Cats make the big dance (I know, I know, I'm sure we'll find a way to screw it up). It's supposed to be difficult.

Keep the tournament where it is. It's sad for USCHO that threads like this exist.
                            Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
                              Honestly what bubble school this year in hockey can really say it deserves to be in the tournament? If you can't get up to whatever is required for the year as an at-large (14 this year) then you shouldn't be in the tournament. If you didn't make the tournament, you didn't take care of business.
                              Exactly. It's not like there are 14 undefeated teams every year - not even close. Every team has ample opportunity to get in by simply taking care of their own business - good lesson for life, there.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I really don't think they should expand the brackets. They are about the right width apart. You can read all the teams and it fits well on a sheet of paper. I guess if you wanted wider brackets you could draw them up yourself, but I don't think they are needed for everyone. Well maybe some of the older hockey followers would appreciate an expanded bracket so the team names can be written in larger type.

And for goodness sake, certainly don't add any more teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X