Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey 2010 Off Season Thread. Albany to A.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Hockey 2010 Off Season Thread. Albany to A.C.

Well with the 2009-2010 season in the books, it's never too early to look forward to next season. There will be a solid contingent of returnees including two skilled goal tenders, a young but talented, and now experienced d-corps, considerable offensive talent, intriguing newcomers and (I assume) our COTY Nate Leaman and assistants Bennett and Barr. Of course our departing seniors take with them a lot of offensive production and experience on the blue line and a tremendous amount of leadership and character. However, the foundation has been laid and the bar raised in terms of development of the program.

Please discuss.

Re: Union Hockey 2010 Off Season Thread. Albany to A.C.

This thread was started way too early.

What's the site for the latest recruits/committments?
    Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post

But a lot later than it could have been.

Are you referring to Heisenberg? If so, here's the link:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...0NQeXIJG47g-ug

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post

Would you rather it had been started as early as ours?

Heck of a season you guys had. Let's make the capital district the tough weekend next year!

Comment

Could not be more proud of the boys. Great season!
          2008-2009 ECAC Pick The Standings Contest Champ!

Comment

Congrats to U on a heck of a year. Last night it looked like Cornell could have beaten an AHL team. Nothing to be ashamed of in losing to that club.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Would you rather it had been started as early as ours?

Heck of a season you guys had. Let's make the capital district the tough weekend next year!
              Agreed....I would have rather it ended last night than March 7th, but there's nothing wrong with wanting the ride to keep going.

I have little doubt the capital district trip will continue to be difficult next year. I already can't wait for the RPI-Union games.
              Last edited by aweise; 03-21-2010, 05:09 PM.
              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Congrats to you guys on a great season. One win away from the Big Dance! I'm almost not looking forward to meeting the Dutchmen at Starr next year..
                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I guess the world is a safer place with UHM not making a trip to Ft. Wayne or St. Paul. *sigh*
                  The off season is already taking too long to pass

Comment

I know I'm late to the party with the congratulations, but Leaman did an outstanding job this season and I hope that Union continues to improve (not as much as RPI, of course). The Dutchmen have been getting a lot of press in the Albany T-U (yes, I know it's the Times-Useless, but it's still press). They've been on the front page each of the last three days, including above the fold both today and yesterday.

Again, I hope Union continues to improve and we can make the CD a terrible place to visit next season.
                    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                      I know I'm late to the party with the congratulations, but Leaman did an outstanding job this season and I hope that Union continues to improve (not as much as RPI, of course). The Dutchmen have been getting a lot of press in the Albany T-U (yes, I know it's the Times-Useless, but it's still press). They've been on the front page each of the last three days, including above the fold both today and yesterday.

Again, I hope Union continues to improve and we can make the CD a terrible place to visit next season.
                      Thanks, Burgie. I think both teams will have some work to do, but the trip into the CD should be a tough one for visiting foes. As far as media coverage, this will always be a Siena town first and foremost as to a large extent their alums have a huge presence in the area as opposed to UC and RPI who have more of a national alumni base. Nonetheless I think the ascendency of the local college hockey teams cannot help but be noticed and any increase in recognition is well deserved.

Comment

I'm half expectign to see a few familiar names pop up in the transaction lists for the AHL and ECHL. Any word on these possibilities?

Comment

Originally posted by OsecnUC View Post
                          I'm half expectign to see a few familiar names pop up in the transaction lists for the AHL and ECHL. Any word on these possibilities?
                          I know that MVT has advisors and would like to play professionally. I would assume Jason Walters and Schreibs are interested in playing professionally as well. Mike Wakita is also interested, and hopefully he is on the mend. Not sure about the others.

In another area of interest, I hope the AD gets a contract extension in front of Nate Leaman ASAP. His current agreement was extended to the end of the 2011-2012 season. There are always a few coaching vacancies this time of year and I've actually seen his name mentioned on a few threads, like Ohio State, his home state, Harvard and even Maine both of which he also coached as well, not that we posters have any influence over such matters (or at least I hope we don't ). In any event, I think coach is obviously deserving of a vote of confidence and gratitude for all that he and his staff have accomplished. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Rick Bennett's name pop up for openings as well as his head coaching days are IMO a matter of when, not if.
                          Last edited by Wholin1; 03-22-2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't be that surprised to see MVT playing this weekend. This is the time of year that many players who have just wrapped up their NCAA career get a chance to play as an unrestricted free agent for the last 6 or 8 games of the season before the playoffs. It gives them the chance to show off their stuff and a chance to get a feel for pro play without many strings attached.

On the coaching front, expect Leaman to entertain offers from other teams. You can't blame him and there's no harm listening. It would be nice to see him get a nice offer from one of these high-er profile teams and then maybe would could see Bennett get his break...right in Schenectady . Not that I'm looking to see our coach of the year leave, but this way both would get a new opportunity and further recognition. I, for one, would have no problem with Bennett running the program.

Comment

Oops...Just posted this in the other thread but I guess this is the place for it. Off-season started too early this year.

I never got to comment on this weekend and give my general thoughts on the season because as soon as I got home from my capital district trip on Sunday, I learned that my home was still without internet access from the storm a week ago. Anyway, we are still without cable and internet but I'm at the public library now so I figured I'd get this in.

I don't think I have ever had such a bittersweet feeling after a sports season. When I made this thread ("Albany? This is the year"), I have to admit that although I wanted it to happen, I was skeptical as to whether or not it was more fantasy or more reality. As soon as I saw the team play that first weekend against Maine and after speaking with a lot of the players and the coach, I truly believed that this was going to be a special year. I say bittersweet instead of just sweet because I think this team was good enough to reach the national tournament and to come so close leaves a bitter taste. I can confidently say that I will never step foot in Fort Wayne, Indiana but I wanted to be there (or St. Paul, Albany, Worcester) so badly this weekend. After we beat St. Lawrence, I started to look at airfares to St. Paul and Fort Wayne. As early as November, I was even looking at hotels in those locations but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. However, looking back on the season as a whole and seeing what this team accomplished, it is very sweet.

To Schreibz, Waks, Mario, Wally, Lareau, Shaffer, Christo, and Pudge: It was a helluva run over these last four years. I remember going to games our freshman year and sitting in the front of section Q (I moved to the back starting sophomore year ) and thinking how tough it was going to be rooting for such a terrible team. Then every year after that, the school went farther than any year in history. In 2008, Union managed to get the 4th seed and the first round bye before being swept in the 2nd round. In 2009, Union managed to barely get home ice before winning a playoff series for the first time and then taking Princeton to 3 games in the ECAC Quarterfinals. This year, the team reached new heights. The highlights of the season for me include the first weekend sweep of Maine, the win over RPI on January 16th where Messa was well overcapacity (that night, Union reached #7 in the PWR!), Senior Night victory over Quinny 7-3 (LET'S GO SENIORS DA DA DADADA), the entire playoff series vs. Quinny (5 OTs then coming back to win the next two), and then the win over St. Lawrence in the ECAC Semi-Finals. In the finals, Cornell was just too strong and I felt like we never got any momentum going. After all, with 8(?) penalties being called against us, that was kind of tough to get anything going.

Anyway, I think the future of the team is bright despite losing so many talented players this season. We still have Keith and Corey in goal. We still have Brock, Coburn, Stu, Juice, Forgaard, Reid, and JS on D. We still have Prezzy, Boileau, Luke, Zajac, Welsh, Bootsy, Kelly, John and Wayne Simpson, Yanovitch, Pallos, and Bodie on offense. It will be tough for me to be as big a fan and for me to go to as many games since I will be 150 miles away from Messa Rink as opposed to 150 yards from Messa Rink but I will do my best to stay up to date.

It has been a great run and it has been great talking Union hockey with all of you.

LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA...for life.
                              Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM.
                              LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Working...
                              X