No announcement yet.

Midwest Regional, Miami vs. Alabama-Huntsville, Bemidji State vs. Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Midwest Regional, Miami vs. Alabama-Huntsville, Bemidji State vs. Michigan

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
    As Miami has already played Bemidji, I can attest that they are quite physical. It's a team that plays a very fast, aggressive style of hockey. It's quite fun to watch unless you're on the other team.
    So what you are indirectly saying is that Saturday nights game between Michigan and Bemidji will be a real barn-burner? That does raise two major concerns for me as I am a Michigan fan. One, will Michigan be able to remain well disciplened and two, how will Hunwick react to the on-slught of offense by the opposing team?
    Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Re: Midwest Regional, Miami vs. Alabama-Huntsville, Bemidji State vs. Michigan

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Awesome. Since Bemidji State is definitely in the WCHA.

If you don't know what you're talking about, post in the St. Cloud thread, like the rest of the idiots.
      CHA is no longer. I think it is appropriate to consider Bemidji a WCHA team when comparing them to other WCHA teams.
      Great moments...are born from great opportunity.
      THIS IS BEAVER HOCKEY.

Comment

Originally posted by BeaverFan View Post
        CHA is no longer. I think it is appropriate to consider Bemidji a WCHA team when comparing them to other WCHA teams.
        Thank you. I look forward to our game Saturday, it should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
          Don't forget Roswell GA's Neil Ruffini. He's been a major contributor down the stretch.

Also, Boom Boom's grandson is a presence on the ice.
          http://www.nuvo.net/sports/article/i...tian-geoffrion
          I hope the TV color commentators do a tiny bit of internet research (which the CHA final game crew did none) on the Geoffrion family before joking about a UAH player named Geoffrion from Brentwood TN.
          Yeah, Ruffi has been playing well as well. He centers some of the time, but he's been playing LW on the 2nd PP line. He had the key one-timer that turned into a rebound assist for the GWG against Niagara. I think Coach has moved him to wing to get him more ice time now that TV timeouts let us roll just three lines.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Couple of things to note.

Officials could be up in the air. NCAA won't allow officials to work the game if they worked either conference so unless both teams are from that conference CCHA and CHA refs are out. At least the CHA uses CCHA officials some of the time. Philo and Langseth worked the CHA final. I'm not sure about all the CHA games though since the conference covers such a huge geographic footprint. So CCHA officials may need to be avoided. I'm guessing to avoid inevitable conflicts in who can work the games the refs won't be CCHA refs or anyone who worked CHA games.

The ice and boards at Fort Wayne are d e a d, dead. At least for every game I've seen Notre Dame play there that was the case. The boards almost seem absorbent as pucks seems to hit them and just carry along behind and around the net, and the ice seemed soft to me when ND has played there.

And speaking of speed, I believe speed is what has UM where they are (well, that and generous placement by the NCAA ). I think the key to BSU will be slowing them down from the tops of the faceoff circles in the UM zone to the same area in the BSU zone. BSU has the style and discipline to do just that, but if they try to play UM one-on-one, they play into their hands. I think Bemidji has some guys than can move, but Michigan is loaded with both forwards and defensemen who can fly. I think this is where MU failed to beat them last week. They were scorched in the transition game. Miami and Michigan are fairly even in talent but play differently and Miami tried to play Michigan's game and got burnt.

The key to Miami winning is likely as simple as playing their best game for 60 minutes. Huntsville is on a high note, and playing well but likely doesn't have the ammunition to skate with Miami for a full game. Notre Dame nearly fell victim to them in 2007 because once they got up 2-0 they quit playing their game. They watched UAH swap goalies after Macnicol (sp?) gave up 2 goals on NDs first 3 shots and figured it was in the bag. Even with UAH being assessed 5 straight penalties, Notre Dame did not skate hard and seemed unwilling to try to bury them. It was almost as if they were waiting to win instead of trying to win. UAH tied it up and it took nearly 40 minutes of OT for Notre Dame to win it. And they had nothing left for MSU the next night and still lost by just a single goal.

I also wonder if the lighter schedule for CHA teams (UAH has played 9 fewer games and has had a week off) will help them. It probably won't matter, but it won't hurt. Miami needs to realize it takes 60 minutes at this stage and if they don't, it will be a dog fight. I know every fan always says "don't worry, my guys will be ready," but Miami has looked just a little off now for a few games and I am very curious to see how they come out this weekend. My picks are for Miami and Michigan to win Saturday and Miami to win Sunday. But don't forget in October I picked Notre Dame to have people in Fort Wayne who would be dressed to play hockey, not dressed in suits.
            Last edited by IrishHockeyFan; 03-23-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Remind me again just which conference logo is stitched onto the Bemidji jersey?
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by houseote View Post
                Didn't Darren Puppa's cousin or some sh*t play for UAH? I could've sworn that he was on your 1998 Nat'l Championship team... Whoever he was, he had our number going away...

Yeah Geof, I'm sure Grady still can hear your voice, along with other voices... He was rumored to be a little "off," even by goalie standards!!
                That would be Derek Puppa.

GFM <-- off by most standards, but on medication
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                  Couple of things to note.

Officials could be up in the air. NCAA won't allow officials to work the game if they worked either conference so unless both teams are from that conference CCHA and CHA refs are out. At least the CHA uses CCHA officials some of the time. Philo and Langseth worked the CHA final. I'm not sure about all the CHA games though since the conference covers such a huge geographic footprint. So CCHA officials may need to be avoided. I'm guessing to avoid inevitable conflicts in who can work the games the refs won't be CCHA refs or anyone who worked CHA games.

The ice and boards at Fort Wayne are d e a d, dead. At least for every game I've seen Notre Dame play there that was the case. The boards almost seem absorbent as pucks seems to hit them and just carry along behind and around the net, and the ice seemed soft to me when ND has played there.

And speaking of speed, I believe speed is what has UM where they are (well, that and generous placement by the NCAA ). I think the key to BSU will be slowing them down from the tops of the faceoff circles in the UM zone to the same area in the BSU zone. BSU has the style and discipline to do just that, but if they try to play UM one-on-one, they play into their hands. I think Bemidji has some guys than can move, but Michigan is loaded with both forwards and defensemen who can fly. I think this is where MU failed to beat them last week. They were scorched in the transition game. Miami and Michigan are fairly even in talent but play differently and Miami tried to play Michigan's game and got burnt.

The key to Miami winning is likely as simple as playing their best game for 60 minutes. Huntsville is on a high note, and playing well but likely doesn't have the ammunition to skate with Miami for a full game. Notre Dame nearly fell victim to them in 2007 because once they got up 2-0 they quit playing their game. They watched UAH swap goalies after Macnicol (sp?) gave up 2 goals on NDs first 3 shots and figured it was in the bag. Even with UAH being assessed 5 straight penalties, Notre Dame did not skate hard and seemed unwilling to try to bury them. It was almost as if they were waiting to win instead of trying to win. UAH tied it up and it took nearly 40 minutes of OT for Notre Dame to win it. And they had nothing left for MSU the next night and still lost by just a single goal.

I also wonder if the lighter schedule for CHA teams (UAH has played 9 fewer games and has had a week off) will help them. It probably won't matter, but it won't hurt. Miami needs to realize it takes 60 minutes at this stage and if they don't, it will be a dog fight. I know every fan always says "don't worry, my guys will be ready," but Miami has looked just a little off now for a few games and I am very curious to see how they come out this weekend. My picks are for Miami and Michigan to win Saturday and Miami to win Sunday. But don't forget in October I picked Notre Dame to have people in Fort Wayne who would be dressed to play hockey, not dressed in suits.
                  Geez, going from the most action from any boards in North America (JLA) to extremely dead boards (Fort Wayne) will be a stark contrast.

How has the NCAA helped Michigan win the CCHA Tournament? Wow, rudy can't give Michigan any credit.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    That's just fluff, kinda like how little girls collect stickers.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                      Funny things about MacNicol in that game:

1. During the CHA tournament run in 2007, UAH switched goalies in all three games. We joked on radio about putting Mac out there and then pulling him. Then it actually happened.

2. Mac wore his green bucket from the Cleveland Barons all during the season; he left juniors and came to UAH at the Christmas break because we were down to two goalies. Coach Ross made him swap buckets for the regionals because, well, ND has green as a primary color. I don't think Blake was ever comfortable in the new bucket he wore.

This 2010 team reminds me a lot of that 2007 team, except we know who our goalie is. As Talbie goes, so go the Chargers.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

This season, BSU still has the CHA logo. Until the first puck drop next fall, we are a CHA team. Period.

The best thing about BSU is that the play smart defensively... As previously stated, they don't get caught in odd man rushes often. They take smart penalties, control the puck and win faceoffs. They don't take a ton of shots, but more often than not, the pucks go in. And, most especially, not a lot of shots find their way on net in their defensive zone. The stats where they are grossly outshot is typically when the other team is dumping the puck on net. The team is amazing at blocking shots.

I watched BSU's win over Miami in November. Realizing it was still early in the season, I couldn't help but find myself saying "This is the #1 team in the nation?" I was waiting for the big red machine to show up. I never saw it. I doubt that will happen in the tourney. I will say this much: I sincerely hope Miami doesn't overlook UAH!!

This will be a good regional, no matter what the haters say! There will be three well played games this weekend. I am certain that Bemidji State will play well and be competative. Am I 100% that they'll win? No. Will they get up to play? I have no doubt in my mind!

Let's go Beavs!!

Comment

It is still the 2009-2010 season, as soon as Bemidji has played their last game of this season, which they haven't yet, they'll be part of the WCHA.
                          Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          Originally posted by UMICHhockeyRULZ View Post
                          That's just fluff, kinda like how little girls collect stickers.
                          Go beat off to your ugly ****ing helmets.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by houseote View Post
                            This season, BSU still has the CHA logo. Until the first puck drop next fall, we are a CHA team. Period.
                            That's a minor technicality...

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Go beat off to your ugly ****ing helmets.
                              Your ***** envy is noted.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICHhockeyRULZ View Post
                                Your ***** envy is noted.
                                envy? isn't that a club that startthebus frequents? Figures you'd be into it too.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X