Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: East Regional: #1 Denver v. #4 RIT; #2 Cornell v. #3 New Hampshire

RE: Attendance.

Cornell fans always travel well, and were hoping to be placed in Albany. I expect a solid showing for them in Albany.

UNH will send it's band (hopefully I'll drive, and get a free ticket). Fans . . . questionable. Having the later game will surely help, as it will mean folks cutting work at 2 or 3, rather than the whole day -- which I'm sure is the case for CU fans, as well.

Denver . . . good luck. Tough to be a #1 seed, but no where near home.

I would imagine RIT fans would also travel well, it being in state, and driveable.

RE: Games

My hockey brain expects a Denver v. CU final; my hockey heart hopes for a UNH v. RIT final. I do think UNH can beat Cornell, but will they? If they come out firing, and ****ed off about not having scored in two weeks (by the time the game comes around), they can. UNH MUST play physical with Cornell; on a smaller ice sheet, the Big Red's style of play will affect UNH's quick transition game even more than it did at the Whit.

No idea what to expect from the Denver / RIT game; only memory I have of Denver is UNH losing to them in the NCAA Regional in Amherst, MA, and that was a long time ago. Wish I could make the early game, just to watch.

Game 1: Denver 4 (ENG) RIT 1
    Game 2: UNH 3 Cornell 2 (2 OT)
    Final: Denver 4 UNH 3 / Cornell 5 Denver 3*

Yes, I know; I said I expect a CU v. Denver final, but never pick against UNH, even when I should. Hence the double pick for the final game. Sue me.
    I haven't been on here in a year...
    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post

Denver . . . good luck. Tough to be a #1 seed, but no where near home.
      The closest regional to Denver this year is St. Paul, and the number of actual DU fans there would have been negligible anyway - the bonus there would be picking up a little bit of support from other WCHA fans against non-WCHA opponents. There are some East Coast alums for Denver, but not enough to make much difference in Albany. We're a small private school with 5,000 undergrads.

That said, I think Albany will be a tough environment for Denver, but slightly better than being sent to Yost, which top-seeded Denver drew in 2002, and 6,000+ Michigan fans made a huge difference in the outcome - a loss for the Pioneers.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        "BigRedTerrier?" As in, a fan of both Cornell and BU? Are you not aware that this is illegal? Are you also a BC fan in your spare time?
        In the early 70s, definitely illegal. But I did my undergrad at Cornell and PhD at BU, so I have allegiances to both.

That being said, when they play each other I always resort to my first love, CU

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
          Goals will be at a premium - 3 of the best statistical goalies in the NCAA here.
          Cheverie - WCHA First team all star goalie
          Foster - Hockey East first team all star goalie
          DeMichiel - AHA first team all star goalie
          Scrivins - ECAC Dryden Award top goalie (I couldn't find ECAC all star list, but I imagine if they have one, he's in it?)

Comment

I am a Holy Cross fan since my nephew plays there. AHA will be "well represented" in this year`s tourney. RIT can play w/the big boys.You have a great defense,which can also score.The offense is very good & goaltending is great.I predict RIT over Denver 4-2.Good Luck Guys !

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
              Cheverie - WCHA First team all star goalie
              Foster - Hockey East first team all star goalie
              DeMichiel - AHA first team all star goalie
              Scrivins - ECAC Dryden Award top goalie (I couldn't find ECAC all star list, but I imagine if they have one, he's in it?)

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Pet_Donkee View Post
                As a UNH fan i like the Cornell draw. We have played them once already this year. I agree with wolverine, if UNH scores first I am confident that can pull it out!!

I remember being at the 03' (i think) final four in buffalo, it was a great game against cornell.
                you guys did great with this draw, if you got Michigan or North Dakota in your bracket, you didn't do so well IMO, see BC....... good luck UNH, i really think you can make some noise here...........

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedTerrier View Post
                  I don;t doubt there will be a nice Cornell showing. I know UNH travels well, but will many be able to make it there for a 6:30 start on Friday?
                  I'll be there, I took this day off work months ago.
                  UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Didn't Denver win a few years ago and started out in the east, way away from home. I dont think its going to matter to denver how far away from home they are. There playing for one thing, just like everyone else.

Cornell will have the most fans, by far.

Comment

Originally posted by skates View Post
                      I am a Holy Cross fan since my nephew plays there. AHA will be "well represented" in this year`s tourney. RIT can play w/the big boys.You have a great defense,which can also score.The offense is very good & goaltending is great.I predict RIT over Denver 4-2.Good Luck Guys !
                      Nothing like a Holy Cross fan envoking a big #4 vs. #1 upset.. God Bless you! If Chevy and Denver play like they did this past weekend, RIT will get by them.

Denver played lousy and lost 2x
                      Cornell played ok and won 2x
                      RIT won 2x
                      UNH licked their wounds.

I'll stick with the RIT upset.. why not! 3-2 in OT.

UNH won't have 4 wks of rust on them coming into this Cornell game.
                      UNH 5 Cornell 2

the big UNH-RIT Final. 4-1 Cats.

GO CATS!
                      GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pet_Donkee View Post
                        Didn't Denver win a few years ago and started out in the east, way away from home.
                        Yes.. they beat Bemidji State in OT, maybe even double OT.. and then beat UNH - both games in Amherst.
                        GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
                          Yes.. they beat Bemidji State in OT, maybe even double OT.. and then beat UNH - both games in Amherst.
                          I was at that game unh had them down and out held the lead mid way through the third , denver scored pp goal, than if i remember correctly stantsy scored game winner with like 2 min left.

Comment

Nothing like a Holy Cross fan envoking a big #4 vs. #1 upset.. God Bless you! If Chevy and Denver play like they did this past weekend, RIT will get by them.

RIT won 2x
                            UNH licked their wounds.

UNH 5 Cornell 2

GO CATS!
                            Your optimism is an inspiration!
                            Last edited by C-H-C; 04-13-2010, 06:05 AM.
                            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

RIT won 2x
                              UNH licked their wounds.

UNH 5 Cornell 2

GO CATS!

I hope you're right. This was suppose to be a rebuild year for the cats, and i think there ready to win out of the conference games now! I honestly think if they play lie they can, and all the lines working good they can. (I know its the same for every team, but I didnt expect this to happen this year. Faith)

Comment

There were about 2,000 people at that Regional, IIRC. The final was on Easter Sunday, which didn't help.

Albany will be a different story, attendence wise.

I would think RIT would have had a better shot at Denver had Denver won or played well in St. Paul, and the Pioneers would perhaps be naturally overlooking the Tigers in the Regional.

This year, with Denver having played poorly in St. Paul, I think we'll see a much more focused Denver effort in the Regional as a result. Denver has played well all season and was the best team in the rugged WCHA. There is a lot of personal and school pride to salvage with the bad showing last weekend, and I think you'll see a different DU team in Albany than you saw last weekend. If we don't see a better performance from Denver, I would be very surprised...this DU team won't be taking anyone lightly.

Comment

Working...
                                X