Hobey hat trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobey hat trick

Who do you think will be in it? This year it's up for grabs, IMHO. Last year I felt it was clear cut with Gilroy, Wilson and another one completing the trio, but this year I don't know.

I think that at this moment Cornell's Scrivens is really making a case for himself. Nyquist maybe too? I have no idea who the third one would be.
    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Re: Hobey hat trick

Nyquist, Cheverie and Smith.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Butler, Cheverie, and Scrivens.
      I haven't been on here in a year...
      Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

I would love to see Butler in there. Will "They" value Butler the way we do, though?

I thought maybe Nyquist, Cheverie, and Scrivens, but two goalies? Then I thought Nyquist, Butler, and... but how to choose between the two goalies?

Okay, purely from the heart:

Nyquist, Butler, and Scrivens.
        Last edited by WildKitty; 03-21-2010, 01:44 PM. Reason: upon further drinking...
        Originally posted by state of hockey
        Tecate tonight. Haha!
        Originally posted by state of hockey
        Ugh. That was a bad idea.
        Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

Comment

I think Nyquist and Cheverie are locks at this point. I have no idea who the 3rd should be.
          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Fortunately for Bobby Butler, he now has the opportunity to perform on the national stage in the NCAA Quarterfinals. I'm confident he will try to make the best of it.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
              Butler, Cheverie, and Scrivens.
              how can you leave the leading scorer in the nation out of this talk?
              Curse of the Timmy

Comment

In my lowly opinion Nyquist, Cheverie, and Smith. I dont think Nyquist will win due to Maine not making the tourney. I would say Smith gets it after all is said and done.
                It may be 10 below, Under 5 feet of snow,
                But no matter where we go, WE ALL LOVE ORONO!!!

Comment

Obviously Cheverie faced better competition than Scrivens, but all the numbers favor Scrivens. I'll go with him, Brendan Smith, and Nyquist even though Butler was HE POTY.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    Obviously Cheverie faced better competition than Scrivens, but all the numbers favor Scrivens. I'll go with him, Brendan Smith, and Nyquist even though Butler was HE POTY.
                    the funny thing about butler being the HE PotY is that Nyquist was a unanimous first team hockey east selection while butler recieved the same distinction albeit not unanimously...

if i had a guess, i'd say nyquist, cheverie and smith

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                      how can you leave the leading scorer in the nation out of this talk?
                      Because he's a sophomore - and that's the only reason.

Is he deserving? Absolutely. But I believe the top 10 is as far as he'll get, this season.

But if I had a vote, I wouldn't want to bestow such a high honor on a younger player (this, among many reasons, is why I'm glad I don't have a vote). I don't think Nyquist will go pro early, at least not this year, so I believe he'll have another year to perform; having seen him play, I fully expect him to grow even stronger, and put up bigger numbers next year -- especially scoring more goals.

Another reason: he's done playing. It shouldn't matter, but I think it usually does . . . that's why I was glad UNH made the NCAAs -- another chance for Butler.

Now, I'll have to go look; I know Bobby's a senior, and I believe the other two are upperclassmenas well. It's very rare to see an 'underclassman' win the Hobey -- granted, I've not looked at the non-winners to make the hat trick, to see if underclass make the final 3. You would know about freshman winning the Hobey (see Kariya).

It's a similar situation to when Mike Vick first entered the NFL; he had an amazing rookie year, and there was talk of giving him the MvP award. The question was, do that now, and what if he gets better (we all know how that turned out). I feel the same way about Nyquist; I don't see him going pro NOW (perhaps after next year), so he'll be there again next year.

Lastly, when you come right down to it . . . I just hate Maine
                      Last edited by unhpuckfan2001; 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM.
                      I haven't been on here in a year...
                      Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                        Because he's a sophomore - and that's the only reason.

Is he deserving? Absolutely. But I believe the top 10 is as far as he'll get, this season.

But if I had a vote, I wouldn't want to bestow such a high honor on a younger player (this, among many reasons, is why I'm glad I don't have a vote). I don't think Nyquist will go pro early, at least not this year, so I believe he'll have another year to perform; having seen him play, I fully expect him to grow even stronger, and put up bigger numbers next year -- especially scoring more goals.

Another reason: he's done playing. It shouldn't matter, but I think it usually does . . . that's why I was glad UNH made the NCAAs -- another chance for Butler.

Now, I'll have to go look; I know Bobby's a senior, and I believe the other two are upperclassmenas well. It's very rare to see an 'underclassman' win the Hobey -- granted, I've not looked at the non-winners to make the hat trick, to see if underclass make the final 3. You would know about freshman winning the Hobey (see Kariya).

It's a similar situation to when Mike Vick first entered the NFL; he had an amazing rookie year, and there was talk of giving him the MvP award. The question was, do that now, and what if he gets better (we all know how that turned out). I feel the same way about Nyquist; I don't see him going pro NOW (perhaps after next year), so he'll be there again next year.

Lastly, when you come right down to it . . . I just hate Maine
                        Colin Wilson was a sophomore last year. Nyquist had a better season this year than Wilson did last year. Nyquist not making the Hat Trick would be an absolute joke. With all due respect to Butler, who I'd have 5th, I think the other 2 spots come down to Smith, Cheverie and Scrivens.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                          the funny thing about butler being the HE PotY is that Nyquist was a unanimous first team hockey east selection while butler recieved the same distinction albeit not unanimously...

if i had a guess, i'd say nyquist, cheverie and smith
                          Don't forget that Thiessen was the best player in Hockey East last year while Gilroy was the best player in the country...funny how this stuff works.

And Da Costa was a finalist for POTY, Brian Gibbons wasn't, yet Gibbons made first team and Da Costa made second team.

It's be easier if Hobey voting was limited to each league's POTY in my opinion.

Comment

Cheverie, Nyquist, and Smith.

Comment

The best player deserves the award, if said player is a Soph, than so be it, he deserves to win the award period.

I have a hunch that some voters share the same narrow minded opinion that unh2001 has.

Comment

Working...
                              X