NCAA Frozen Four in Lake Placid, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Frozen Four in Lake Placid, NY

First of all, hats off to all of the teams and (most) of the fans at this year's Frozen Four. While I was a bit bummed that Plattsburgh did not make it to the championship game, there was plenty of incredible hockey all weekend long. Clearly, St. Norbert and Norwich earned their spots in the final game - and to have a game extend into two overtime periods was absolutely incredible.

What were your thoughts? I had a great time with a bunch of fans from all four teams (with the exception of a few knuckleheads from Norwich). Hope you enjoyed the game(s)!

Feel free to check out my exclusive recap of the Frozen Four at
    http://www.therobbrennan.com/journal...i-ice-hoc.html

Most importantly, I would like to take a moment and thank those of you who have read (and continue to read) my posts throughout the season. Here's to 2011

Re: NCAA Frozen Four in Lake Placid, NY

I watched the game on CBS College sports. Hockey rarely captivates on TV but its compounded watching Div III on an International Rink.
    I believe it changes the game so much that it could hurt in the long run. I do not believe this is the right place to play quarter finals and a National Championship. All four teams played great its not about them or their style of play. We saw the Olympics benefited from the NHL size rink this year.Talk about draining the energy out of the game.

Comment

Before this gets too off course, can we all agree that there are knuckleheads supporting teams at every school? Good....

Lake Placid is a special place, even if they oversell the whole "1980" dream connection. Small town that has seen better times, but that is a reflection of what is going on around us, not the spirit of it's townsfolk, who I found to be friendly and appreciated having us there. It is a venue that is almost custom built for a tournament like this (well, I guess it WAS custom built for the Olympics...)

After the Lakers lost, I contemplated bailing on last night's game - that would have been as smart as heading to the rest room with 2 min to go in the second OT to beat the line (I asked the guy sitting in front of me where he was going... )

Walking around town yesterday talking to fans wearing SNC and Norwich colors was a delightful experience - meeting player mom's, dad's, brothers, sisters, grandparents, etc...all very proud and significantly more mellow than the army of CanAm hockey natzi's that stayed in my hotel...it's nice to know they will grow out of that phase as their kids get older. (or not - cue the knucklehead music)

I know there is a need (and responsibility) to move the tournament closer to the Mississippi every so often, but it is hard to come up with a pedestrian friendly location like LP. I parked my car at the hotel when I arrived Friday - it hasn't moved since.

One final congrats to all four teams - only one went home with the hardware, but all four are winners.
      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
        Before this gets too off course, can we all agree that there are knuckleheads supporting teams at every school? Good....

I know there is a need (and responsibility) to move the tournament closer to the Mississippi every so often, but it is hard to come up with a pedestrian friendly location like LP. I parked my car at the hotel when I arrived Friday - it hasn't moved since.

One final congrats to all four teams - only one went home with the hardware, but all four are winners.
        I'll second that, IMO, Excellent, and spot on.
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Absolutely! One of my favorite things was running into a group of Oswego fans (on Friday) who were constantly chanting "Oswego Plattsburgh final!"

I met plenty of new faces this time around and the vibe was incredible. On the whole, the crowd seemed pretty enthusiastic, upbeat, and respectable. That was a great way to close out the season.

On a totally unrelated note, was there any truth to the rumors I heard in town about Oswego leaving on Friday night - or did they stay for the whole thing? Not a big deal, but I was just mildly curious...

Comment

Originally posted by TacoRob View Post
            Absolutely! One of my favorite things was running into a group of Oswego fans (on Friday) who were constantly chanting "Oswego Plattsburgh final!"

I met plenty of new faces this time around and the vibe was incredible. On the whole, the crowd seemed pretty enthusiastic, upbeat, and respectable. That was a great way to close out the season.

On a totally unrelated note, was there any truth to the rumors I heard in town about Oswego leaving on Friday night - or did they stay for the whole thing? Not a big deal, but I was just mildly curious...
            I don't remember seeing anyone at the hotel, and I know Plattsburgh did.

Funny thing about the "Oswego Plattsburgh final", when we were out talking with the Zamboni's they were really hoping for that also, but I gotta say the SNC/Wich final was just as worth it.
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by TacoRob View Post

Most of the Oswego fans that were sitting near us (Sec 20 behind the NU bench) during their game, stayed for the final. Interestingly enough many of them were rooting (however quietly) for Norwich.
              The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

I have to say I am very impressed with the way all the teams played and all the fans. After seeing the way the game unfolded last night I am somewhat kicking myself for leaving yesterday early afternoon. I had heard the weather up there was not supposed to be great today and didn't wanna take the chances. Oh well I lost on that one. I wish I would have stayed. Oswego did leave on Friday night.
                Oswego State 2000

OSWEGO STATE GREAT LAKERS 2006-2007 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!

Comment

Lakers rolled into town Saturday am at 0330...the coaching staff thought it smart to get out of town after the Alumni/Blue Line Club gathering...
                  LakerEagleLover

Comment

Lakers rolled into town Saturday am at 0330...the coaching staff thought it smart to get out of town after the Alumni/Blue Line Club gathering...
                    ?
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

That's what I gathered as well. Apparently the team was staying in the same hotel as St. Norbert, and Gosek thought it wise to avoid any potential encounters, given how hard the team (particularly the seniors) were taking it. Better safe than sorry!

Honestly, if that was the reason, good on Gosek for recognizing the situation and doing what he needed to in order to keep his boys out of trouble.
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                        That's what I gathered as well. Apparently the team was staying in the same hotel as St. Norbert, and Gosek thought it wise to avoid any potential encounters, given how hard the team (particularly the seniors) were taking it. Better safe than sorry!

Honestly, if that was the reason, good on Gosek for recognizing the situation and doing what he needed to in order to keep his boys out of trouble.
                        Did the teams stay in different hotels? When we were at the post game party, Plattsburgh arrived first, then Norwich, and we got their early and the SNC coaching crew were downstairs going over gameplans in the lobby...
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post

It only takes one lapse of judgement by one person connected to the program for the wrath of the NCAA to rain down upon you...the coaches didn't want to stay up all night on patrol...
                          LakerEagleLover

Comment

I believe it is the NCAA that requires the teams not advancing to leave their hotel after the game for some of the reasons listed below.
                            Go 'Wick!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the players stay at the LP olympic athlete traning center?

Comment

Working...
                              X