Attendance at NCAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attendance at NCAA

Very disappointed with the attendance at Ridder. Lots of empty seats...

Re: Attendance at NCAA

Originally posted by ohcanada View Post
    Very disappointed with the attendance at Ridder. Lots of empty seats...
    No kidding. And one has to laugh at the story in the program (which was riddled with inaccuracies all over the place.) Page 12 says they expected ticket demand "to be at levels not before seen in collegiate women's hockey."

Wow.
    All the fun is in the journey

Comment

What are they charging for tickets?
      Can't understand why teams (or the NCAA) are even charging for any games. If we are trying to build the sport for spectators and fans admit for free and make money on beer . LOL

Comment

According the box score in the paper this morning, the attendance was 2,070. It actually felt and sounded like more than that, a good atmosphere for both games I thought. But without Minnesota in the final there will be lots more empty seats on Sunday. How many will depend on how many UMD fans drive down tomorrow morning.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Capacity at Ridder is listed at 3400. I doubt that it was half filled for either game. That includes the Gopher band. Previous frozen fours had much better attendance, even without the home team.

Comment

There is a thread going in the Men's Frozen Four section that is trying to address this very problem. The solution: combine the Men's and Women's frozen four. Have the women play Th/Sa and the men play Fri/Su. Anyone who wins the lottery for the men's package would get free admission to the women's games, while there would still be some tickets set aside for people just wanting to buy the women's package. The hope would be that it would increase attendance for the women as well as create a buzz about college hockey on the whole.

Your thoughts?

Link to the thread
            University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs
            2007 Alumni
            WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1984, 1985, 1993
            WCHA Tournament Champions: 1984, 1985, 2009
            NCAA Appearances: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1993, 2004, 2009, 2011
            Frozen Four Appearances: 1984, 1985, 2004, 2011
            National Champions: 2011

Comment

Well whatever the NCAA is doing now, it isn't working. I do expect Mercyhurst to get some good support next year. I hope it'll be just like Duluth in 2003.

If my memory serves me right, part of the reason for moving the women's season back so early was not so much about IIHF conflicts, but because they didn't want the men's and women's NCAA tournaments to conflict. This always struck me as odd, because it meant the women's quarterfinals conflict with conference quarterfinals (probably the busiest men's hockey weekend of the year in terms of # of teams involved and the importance of the games), and then the Frozen Four conflicts with the men's finals.

Comment

Originally posted by UMDSimmerdown View Post
                The solution: combine the Men's and Women's frozen four.

Anyone who wins the lottery for the men's package would get free admission to the women's games,

Your thoughts?
                In the Frozen Fenway game, we couldn't even get many men's fans to come to the women's game when they were included on the same ticket, for the same day right before the men's game.

Exactly how many of those men's fans are going to go out of their way on the "off" day to go watch the women?
                113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                  In the Frozen Fenway game, we couldn't even get many men's fans to come to the women's game when they were included on the same ticket, for the same day right before the men's game.

Exactly how many of those men's fans are going to go out of their way on the "off" day to go watch the women?
                  I'm not saying its going to pack the house, but I would guess you'd have maybe 1,000-2,000 more fans if it were done that way. Like you said, its the "off" day, so maybe people are just looking for something to do. The current system isn't working, I doubt the NCAA gets their money back for renting the venue under the current system. Even if it is only 1,000-2,000 extra fans, the added concessions money couldn't hurt.
                  University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs
                  2007 Alumni
                  WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1984, 1985, 1993
                  WCHA Tournament Champions: 1984, 1985, 2009
                  NCAA Appearances: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1993, 2004, 2009, 2011
                  Frozen Four Appearances: 1984, 1985, 2004, 2011
                  National Champions: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    According the box score in the paper this morning, the attendance was 2,070. It actually felt and sounded like more than that, a good atmosphere for both games I thought.
                    There were more people than that. That just counts the tickets sold and does not include player pass lists and those with credentials. My guess would be that there were around 2,500 people at the peak. Because there were a lot around the railings as well as upstairs.

Previous frozen fours had much better attendance, even without the home team.
                    I was worried it was going to be even worse. The marketing for this event was too little, too late. The game-in, game-out fans were there, but there just aren't enough of them. The only hope of doing well in Minneapolis for this type of event is to reach out to youth hockey organizations, and it sure didn't look like this happened.

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                    Well whatever the NCAA is doing now, it isn't working. I do expect Mercyhurst to get some good support next year. I hope it'll be just like Duluth in 2003.
                    My impression is that the NCAA is doing very little. I also think that Minnesota has hosted too much. Too many WCHA finals, too many Frozen Fours, too many men's regionals, too much NCAA basketball means zero buzz for this event. St. Cloud or Mankato would be better the next time around (assuming Duluth does the next western site with their new arena.) Gopher/Bulldog/Badger fans could still get there, but it wouldn't be same old, same old. And the East should bid more often than they apparently are doing these days.

I'm not saying its going to pack the house, but I would guess you'd have maybe 1,000-2,000 more fans if it were done that way.
                    If you get 1,000 men's fans but lose 1,000 women's fans, is that a gain? My worry with locking the women's event to the men's is that then the women's schedule/locations will be always at the mercy of whatever decisions men's hockey makes, with zero input as to if something is hurtful to the women's game. Conflicting with World Championships really tarnishes the Frozen Four if the best players leave.

What I think is vital to the attendance of the game, not just for the NCAAs but in general, is for former players and their families to stay involved. I saw a former Badger and her dad last night, and it wasn't the first time they've been at a game with no Wisconsin connection. I have a lot of respect for those who recognize that the game did a lot for them and now give back to it once they are no longer directly involved. Some parent's are great about coming back to support their daughers' former teammates and beyond. Others never find their way back to the building. I find that rather lame.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      ...without Minnesota in the final there will be lots more empty seats on Sunday. How many will depend on how many UMD fans drive down tomorrow morning.
                      I'll be there. I didn't buy my ticket until after last night's game and I was still able to get a reserved seat (not the bench type) between the blue line and center ice. But I expect I'll be able to find a better seat if I really want one. I don't know how a national championship tournament doesn't draw more people. We almost filled the DECC in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        I also think that Minnesota has hosted too much. Too many WCHA finals, too many Frozen Fours, too many men's regionals, too much NCAA basketball means zero buzz for this event.
                        The WCHA Final Five tournament at the X drew over 15,000 for the play-in game on Thursday. This is without the Gophers participating this year . There should be a very good crowd tonight with SCSU and North Dakota playing for the title.

I agree that the Twin Cities probably hosts more hockey events than it needs to. Seems like there is always a lot to choose from, especially when March rolls around.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Capacity at Ridder is listed at 3400. I doubt that it was half filled for either game. That includes the Gopher band. Previous frozen fours had much better attendance, even without the home team.
                          I don't think it was close to 2000 last year.

Comment

There is a thread going in the Men's Frozen Four section that is trying to address this very problem. The solution: combine the Men's and Women's frozen four. Have the women play Th/Sa and the men play Fri/Su. Anyone who wins the lottery for the men's package would get free admission to the women's games, while there would still be some tickets set aside for people just wanting to buy the women's package. The hope would be that it would increase attendance for the women as well as create a buzz about college hockey on the whole.

Your thoughts?

Link to the thread
                            Brilliant idea....I'd be much more likely to travel a long distance (and spend the associated money) to watch teams other than my own play if there was that much more good hockey to watch at the same time...makes it a much bigger event

Comment

Box score lists attendance for the final as 1,473.

I estimate far fewer than that actually in the building.

IMO there is no other way to cut it except to say it was a deplorable turn out in the so-called state of hockey.

Also perhaps worthy of note: Yesterday afternoon in Saint Peter the D-III 3rd place game (featuring the host school Gustavus) drew 461. The evening championship game box score lists attendance of 138.
                              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Working...
                              X