Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

DU is going to be playing in a hostile environment. RIT has an enrollment of 16,000 and is only a few hours away from Albany in Rochester. Cornell travels very well with some of the loudest and most creative fans in the country, and is also in driving distance, and so is UNH.

The Pios will have 50-100 fans at most.

Three of the best goalies in the country will be in this regional, so scoring intensity will be at a premium.

DU had better be ready to buckle down and play hard. This is no cupcake regional.

Comment

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Let's be honest here, the reason why we're ripping on a lunchbox like Melrose is that deep down we think he may be right. We want him on that wall. . .we need him on that wall. Oh wait, sorry. Wrong scenario.

Let's just be grateful for being assigned to an eminently winnable regional and hope the Pioneers show up.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        Let's hope you are right.

I think this team has some issues that need fixing around work ethic, d-zone coverage, allowing odd-man rushes, first line scoring, special teams and fragile goaltending. Outside of that they are fine...
        Aside from THAT Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play? lol. IMHO it all flows from work ethic. DU just can't be standing around taking tickets like they did this weekend, otherwise an early out.

Comment

RIT comes in as the hottest team in the country with 10 straight wins, and two of those 10 over Air Force, a team that gave DU a rough time and who we were a little lucky to beat. They have great goaltending, and will have a lot of fans in the house in Albany, as this it their first NCAA D-I appearance.

DU had better be ready.

Comment

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

From an outsider's viewpoint, it certainly was not the same DU team that whupped North Dakota in January.

DU success all year has been driven by their top half-dozen stars. They didn't dig deep for the extra effort this weekend (for example, Wisconsin's goal #2 where Cheverie pretty much waved at a floating wrister from 50 feet).

But next week is another story, and I am 100% sure Gwozdecky will insist on the extra effort next weekend. I would not be worrying about guys like Rhak, Rug, Colborne, Chevy (who got some nice rest on Saturday). The only weak spot I can see is depth, which gets a little tougher without Maiani.

Good luck in Albany.

Comment

Originally posted by JLSinGJ View Post
              Nice to know that Barry Melrose will be pulling for Cornell while broadcasting the games. You can tell he knows alot about the WCHA, since he pointed out that UND had to win last night if they wanted to go to the regionals.
              I remarked to one of UAH's coaches that "If you listen to Melrose, Hockey East and the ECAC are one step below the NHL. WCHwhat, Barry?"

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

While we are all hoping last weekend was an aberration in an otherwise great season, it will be very interesting to watch the intensity level of Denver in this regional.

If the St. Paul debacle didn't force a little humility and resolve into these players, nothing else will.

I think Monday's practice should be very interesting to see how the coaching staff prepares the Pioneers for the regional. Will there be some punishing skates? How will Lalonde get Chevy refocused? What can be done about the poor defense? The top line? The special teams? How will the captains and seniors deal with the wake up call in St. Paul?

DU still has enough talent to beat anybody in the country, but they need to reach deep within and show everyone what kind of team they are going to be in this NCAA tournament. At the very least, we'd better see an improved start to the game. We need to see skates digging in and moving instead of gliding. We need to see back checking and forechecking and shot-blocking. We need to see an all-out effort, or these guys WILL take it to their graves.

Focus. Effort. Drive. Maybe Gwoz needs to reach for some inspiration. Bring in the players of the teams that won NCAA championships to talk to the boys and about how it felt and how they overcame adversity. And bring in some players of DU teams who fell short, and have them talk about the lifelong regrets they harbor. Perhaps hearing from fellow peers will help put this team into some sense of perspective...

Comment

Interesting. What kind of approach does Gwoz take? And is he capable of a "Herbie Moment?" We may have gotten a hint with the benching of our two biggest stars (plus the rest of the first line). I'm thinking that speaks louder than any Vince Lombardi rant. Besides, these guys KNOW exactly what they did (and didn't do) and presumably, what they have to do to avoid it happening again. The soft(er) approach may be the better bet here. And Swami's right, bring back some players to talk to 'em. I was thinking about the 60th anniversary game, where they felt badly about losing and letting down the old guys, 'til the old guys gave 'em an ovation. It's time for some old (and not so old) guys to give 'em a talk. And arranging some sort of pep rally/sendoff by students wouldn't be a bad idea, either.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 03-21-2010, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Anybody got a line on decent airfare from Denver to Albany/Windsor Locks? I just bought my ticket to Detroit. All the arifares to Albany east coast are through the roof.
                    Go Pioneers!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      While we are all hoping last weekend was an aberration in an otherwise great season, it will be very interesting to watch the intensity level of Denver in this regional.

If the St. Paul debacle didn't force a little humility and resolve into these players, nothing else will.

I think Monday's practice should be very interesting to see how the coaching staff prepares the Pioneers for the regional. Will there be some punishing skates? How will Lalonde get Chevy refocused? What can be done about the poor defense? The top line? The special teams? How will the captains and seniors deal with the wake up call in St. Paul?

DU still has enough talent to beat anybody in the country, but they need to reach deep within and show everyone what kind of team they are going to be in this NCAA tournament. At the very least, we'd better see an improved start to the game. We need to see skates digging in and moving instead of gliding. We need to see back checking and forechecking and shot-blocking. We need to see an all-out effort, or these guys WILL take it to their graves.

Focus. Effort. Drive. Maybe Gwoz needs to reach for some inspiration. Bring in the players of the teams that won NCAA championships to talk to the boys and about how it felt and how they overcame adversity. And bring in some players of DU teams who fell short, and have them talk about the lifelong regrets they harbor. Perhaps hearing from fellow peers will help put this team into some sense of perspective...
                      Right from the bus to the ice today,bag skate em!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Nate Dewhurst and John Lee have a total of 3 career goals--all of which have been scored in the WCHA playoffs/Final 5.
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Rochester had an interesting season. They started the year 0-5-0 before righting the ship and going 26-11-1.

Of interest to DU fans they got waxed twice by WCHA near-cellar dweller Minnesota State Mankato 6-1 & 3-0.

They have won 10 in a row and were an impressive 15-3-0 at home, but only 9-8-1 on the road.

They play in the weakest conference in college hockey and were 4-6-0 in non-conference games.

If not for all the NCAA upsets last year and DU's ongoing problems with Air Force, this game would be a prime candidate for a 5 goal victory. DU should win something like 4-1.

http://www.uscho.com/schedules/team..../gender,m.html

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            Rochester had an interesting season. They started the year 0-5-0 before righting the ship and going 26-11-1.

Of interest to DU fans they got waxed twice by WCHA near-cellar dweller Minnesota State Mankato 6-1 & 3-0.

They have won 10 in a row and were an impressive 15-3-0 at home, but only 9-8-1 on the road.

They play in the weakest conference in college hockey and were 4-6-0 in non-conference games.

If not for all the NCAA upsets last year and DU's ongoing problems with Air Force, this game would be a prime candidate for a 5 goal victory. DU should win something like 4-1.

http://www.uscho.com/schedules/team..../gender,m.html
                            They were 0-6-0 in non-conference games. The 4 NC wins on their schedule were the 4 AHA playoff games.
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              That's generous! The 4 wins are the AHA playoffs, so not really OOC games. I think your conclusion is a good one. The playoff RIT team now isn't really comparable to the RIT team (performance or context wise) that went to Mankato on New Years day. Nobody seems to underestimate, or look past, RIT any more ... too bad!

It should be a great weekend in Albany and I am looking forward to seeing DU play.

Edit: I see du78 beat me too it, while I was typing
                              -M

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Maybe some of the DU fans will look past RIT out of a lack of exposure, but I think the Denver team won't be looking past RIT one bit. Gwoz talked on ESPN about how RIT has done a amazing job in transitioning to D-I, under Wilson. With 16,000 students, this a school that can resource their growth and become a power program over time. They have terrific fan support, and it's going to take a strong effort from Denver to win.

Comment

Working...
                                X