Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    With a seating capacity of 2,000 and figuring on 8 home games at $15 per ticket comes out to $240,000. In other words, attendance only covers Coach T's salary. By my rough calculations, DU would need to draw around 10,000 per game to start making money.

Now if DU can get Hopkins to come out to Colorado and they manage to attract 50,000 to Mile High, then you've really got something ($750,000). That's obviously not going to happen overnight, but that is what DU needs to be working towards. DU needs to partner up with an experienced "event planning" company to host a game like that.
    DU at best would need to partner with Air Force and schedule a day of lacrosse. This happened at Gillete Stadium this year:

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-lacros/...021110aaa.html

I dont think they got more than 10K. The NCAA final gets about 40-50K depending on the location.

The issue is with the timing. You would hope to attract alumni and kids who play. Around here (eastern MA) weekends are when Lax teams play their games and I would think you would not want to conflict with that FWIW.

If anything even a small crowd could help build brand awareness and give far flung alumni of perhaps some big schools (like a UVA,Syracuse, or notre dame) a chance to see their school. It would could also be a recruiting tool for any eastern school looking to tap western tallent.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      1. Most likely Ostrow, Martin and Wrenn. We'll know within 2 weeks.
      I haven't looked through the roster to see who the other likely candidates would be. But why do you think Wrenn would make captain? If any of the sophomore defensemen would be candidates (which seems like a stretch), I'd think Donovan would have a better shot than Wrenn.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
        I haven't looked through the roster to see who the other likely candidates would be. But why do you think Wrenn would make captain? If any of the sophomore defensemen would be candidates (which seems like a stretch), I'd think Donovan would have a better shot than Wrenn.
        I based it on this:
        http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...0-11-captains/

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
          All of this is very interesting and I know that the title of the thread is "All things....", but can we please for the love of God get back to talking about hockey? I'll give you a topic (said with thick New York accent):

2- Who are we really excited to see next year among the Freshmen?
          Talk amongst yourselves!!
          I agree with Swami's answers except on #2. I will add Makowski and Nick Shore as being regulars in the line-up along with the 3 players he mentioned. I see Makowski as filling Wiercioch's spot in the line-up. Bennett. Zucker and N. Shore have some big shoes to fill with Rock, Ruegs and Big Joe gone. Should be a good battle between Brittain and Murray for the goalie's job. I would not be surprised to see a goalie rotation to start off the season.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

1. Most likely Ostrow, Martin and Wrenn. We'll know within 2 weeks.
            2. Bennett, Zucker and Brittan. All of them will crucial for DU next year.
            3. Dusty Jackson. We missed his big body last year banging up front.
            4. I don't think so. Playoff underachievement is a serious concern.
            5. Gwoz likely went to Columbus as "consultant" but likely ostensibly to send a warning shot across DU's bow to leverage a better contract from DU, which I hope they are working on now. Gwoz is a great coach, but if he ever did leave DU, the DU job is one of the top 5-10 college jobs in the country, and they would be able to attract some excellent candidates from all over the hockey world to fill it. Michigan is the likely next big open job. I'd expect them to hire Mel Pearson to fill it. He's been Red's assistant forever. Lucia will have a good year at Minnesota, and will be there for a while longer.
            Since Ostrow had the A he probably is the favorite. How about Nutini? Nobody can question how hard he works. Get back to the Dman captain.

Getting Dusty back should be a real plus. And I'll be interested to see if Knowlton keeps improving as much as he did last year. The "X" factor could be if Salazar can work hard enough to get back on the ice and score like he did as a Freshman. That could be a tall order without Bozak to set him up, but it would be great to have the Goal Czar back.
            Last edited by vizoroo; 05-12-2010, 01:04 AM.
            GO DU !!!

Comment

Interesting. I wasn't really sure how much of a "presence" he has on the team--he just seemed a little green to me. But his U-18 captainship is a good background.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                Interesting. I wasn't really sure how much of a "presence" he has on the team--he just seemed a little green to me. But his U-18 captainship is a good background.
                Wrenn was also Captain of the World Champion Under-18 USA team.

I'd be surprised if Martin was Captain, maybe he'll get an "A"

The delay in naming a Captain reminds me of 2005-06 when they delayed naming Gaithier captain and ended up splitting the job with Matt Carle.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  As I understand it several high schools in Denver outdraw DU lacrosse, so DU needs to start getting serious about the marketing.

DU has been drawing a more upscale audience than they get for hockey. If I was to stereo-type the crowd I'd say eastern educated, Cherry Creek resident, 1 european car/ 1 SUV, Whole Food shoppers.
                  Your description of a DU Lacrosse fan pretty well describes 5,000-6,000 DU alums who are between the age of 23-65 who live within a 3 hour drive from Albany. That is why I am so annoyed that so few of us drove in for the DU-R.I.T. Hockey game.
                  OK. Lacrosse this weekend on the Island. I hope some DU fans come besides the parents of current and former players. I am getting psyched and nervous. Denver 10-Stony Brook 9.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
                    Your description of a DU Lacrosse fan pretty well describes 5,000-6,000 DU alums who are between the age of 23-65 who live within a 3 hour drive from Albany. That is why I am so annoyed that so few of us drove in for the DU-R.I.T. Hockey game.
                    OK. Lacrosse this weekend on the Island. I hope some DU fans come besides the parents of current and former players. I am getting psyched and nervous. Denver 10-Stony Brook 9.
                    Go to insidelacrosse.com. It contains a blog by Trevor Tierney which you shall all really enjoy. For what its worth, still today another person came up to me with compliments about the Sunday Times article about DU Lacrosse.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
                      DU needs to do a better job getting word out to alumni about the games and locations. Once students leave the Denver area, DU sports falls off the radar screen for most DU alums.

Comment

Still skating:

AHL

Brock Trotter 5-5-10 +5 Hamilton Bulldogs (Hamilton is missing 3 of their best players because the Habs keep winning )

Gabe Gauthier 4-3-7 +2 Manchester Monarchs

NHL

Matt Carle 0-7-7 +6

Would you believe the Flyers could win 3 straight to force Game 7? Can they win 4 in a row?
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                          Still skating:

AHL

Brock Trotter 5-5-10 +5 Hamilton Bulldogs (Hamilton is missing 3 of their best players because the Habs keep winning )

Gabe Gauthier 4-3-7 +2 Manchester Monarchs

NHL

Matt Carle 0-7-7 +6

Would you believe the Flyers could win 3 straight to force Game 7? Can they win 4 in a row?
                          I watched the game last night, geeeez, what a classic meltdown the Bruins are in right now. I have to say though, with Matt Carle on the Flyers I was a little conflicted He got tons of face time. Once while sitting in the penalty box and another long shot of him skating to the bench. He looks totally comfortable out there, making blind passes, back hand passes on the tape, skating hard and fast, messing with speedy forwards like Savard. One time he gloved the puck, dropped it to himself, did a give and go and took an awesome shot that the goaltender stopped. It was classic Matt Carle. He looked just like he did at the college level in comparison to the others on the ice, just faster and stronger. Very cool!!!
                          "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                          Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                            I watched the game last night, geeeez, what a classic meltdown the Bruins are in right now. I have to say though, with Matt Carle on the Flyers I was a little conflicted He got tons of face time. Once while sitting in the penalty box and another long shot of him skating to the bench. He looks totally comfortable out there, making blind passes, back hand passes on the tape, skating hard and fast, messing with speedy forwards like Savard. One time he gloved the puck, dropped it to himself, did a give and go and took an awesome shot that the goaltender stopped. It was classic Matt Carle. He looked just like he did at the college level in comparison to the others on the ice, just faster and stronger. Very cool!!!
                            No question in my mind that playing with Pronger has stepped Matt's playing up to another level. His confidence is back and his talent is showing again.

BTW Matt had 6 blocked shots (6 of 30) in game 6. Shades of DU vs Maine in the 2004 Championship game.
                            Last edited by vizoroo; 05-13-2010, 09:33 AM.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Just when you thought you've read every possible article about DU's Lax coach, this gem comes along. Needless to say, I wouldn't mind seeing a few of Tierney's tactics employed by our hockey program...

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2010/05...-year-one.html

Comment

Here is an another different DU Lax article in today's Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/college...mens_lacrosse/

This year's DU lax program has generated more national publicity for DU than any other activity (academic, athletic or artistic) at DU this year. To have major feature arcticles in the New Yorker, The New York Times, and Associated Press, as well as local and sport specific coverage has been amazing. Not since Michelle Kwan graduated from DU in 2008 has DU seen this kind of media coverage...

Comment

Working...
                                X