Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

The NCAA covers the charter costs of the official travel party, which for hockey is 37 people. Beyond that number, schools are charged for the remaining seats, so it all depaends on the size of the plane and how many bigwigs, band members, and other seats the school wishes to pay for...

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      t.

I believe when DU & CC chartered the plane to Columbus one team took one side of the plane and the other team took the other side. Of course CC flew home early.
      Whoooosssshhhh!!!
      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
      Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        The NCAA covers the charter costs of the official travel party, which for hockey is 37 people. Beyond that number, schools are charged for the remaining seats, so it all depaends on the size of the plane and how many bigwigs, band members, and other seats the school wishes to pay for...
        That conflicts with what I heard in Albany.

The NCAA covers the full coach fare of X number of people from point A to point B - Lets say Denver to Albany. 37 people at $650 per seat comes to $24,050. If the charter flights costs $47,000 DU has to make up the difference.

The problem that often arises is its sometimes impossible to find 24-37 seats on a commercial flight with just 7 days notice between certain markets.

DU had to come up with a large chunk of change to fund the trip to Albany. Not because they brought more than 37 people, but because of the high cost of the charter. The Chancellor approved the expenditure.

The reason why the NCAA is cracking down on Tournament travel is that they are getting stuck with huge baggage charges, high airfares and high fuel surcharges/taxes in non-revenue producing sports.
        Last edited by dggoddard; 05-04-2010, 09:56 AM.

Comment

That conflicts with what I heard in Albany.

The NCAA covers the full coach fare of X number of people from point A to point B - Lets say Denver to Albany. 37 people at $650 per seat comes to $24,050. If the charter flights costs $47,000 DU has to make up the difference.

The problem that often arises is its sometimes impossible to find 24-37 seats on a commercial flight with just 7 days notice between certain markets.

DU had to come up with a large chunk of change to fund the trip to Albany. Not because they brought more than 37 people, but because of the high cost of the charter. The Chancellor approved the expenditure.

The reason why the NCAA is cracking down on Tournament travel is that they are getting stuck with huge baggage charges, high airfares and high fuel surcharges/taxes in non-revenue producing sports.
          They must have changed the rule recently. That's a cost upcharge that the NCAA is now passing on to the schools. Seems to me the NCAA should sign an airline sponsorhsip deal that would allow them to sets aside a number of planes for charter during the three seasonal NCAA championship periods to help ease the cost burden on the schools. Currently, the NCAA has to scramble for available planes...

Comment

Some hockey talk to interrupt the lacrosse talk.
            From Schlossman (Herald sportswriter) twitter:

NTDP prospect Rocco Grimaldi has narrowed his college choices to UND, Denver and Notre Dame. He says he won't decide before July.
            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

I believe when DU & CC chartered the plane to Columbus one team took one side of the plane and the other team took the other side. Of course CC flew home early.
              Actually that was at the Final Five that year. They flew out together and back together.

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                Actually that was at the Final Five that year. They flew out together and back together.
                Wow, that must have been some flight! When they were flying out to Columbus they probably figured one of the two teams would go home happy. Imagine how happy Matt Carle was, Nat. champ and the Hobey!!! And we need to get that Rocco kid. Imagine how much fun it will be to say "Rocco" And how about that last name, Grimaldi, royalty or what?
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                  He is supposed to visit all 3 schools on his trip back to California. He will be a 2011.
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                    Wow, that must have been some flight! When they were flying out to Columbus they probably figured one of the two teams would go home happy. Imagine how happy Matt Carle was, Nat. champ and the Hobey!!! And we need to get that Rocco kid. Imagine how much fun it will be to say "Rocco" And how about that last name, Grimaldi, royalty or what?
                    I was thinking the same thing. We gotta get that kid.
                    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing. We gotta get that kid.
                      Yo Rocco!
                      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                        Yo Rocco!
                        You know I remember as a rookie "poster", I said the same thing about Bozak. Something like, "how cool will it be to hear an anouncer with a deep voice saying, "Tyler Bozak" Of course I hadn't reached my 1000th post yet , so it went ignored , but anyway...

I don't care how he plays, we have to have a kid named Rocco!!!!
                        Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                          Glad to Schlossman is breaking stories two months later than LetsGoDU. I guess the Pony Express fell behind schedule this winter when they couldn't cross the Red River.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2010/03...th-dakota.html

Comment

Glad to Schlossman is breaking stories two months later than LetsGoDU. I guess the Pony Express fell behind schedule this winter when they couldn't cross the Red River.
                            I don't see anything in the LGDU post about the month of July.
                            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2010/03...th-dakota.html
                              When in reality, someone asked him in the comments section of his blog and he said he would ask Grimaldi and find out. I knew those were Rocco's top 3, but that was a while ago and some people probably thought things might have been narrowed down by now.

Comment

Wolves up 2-1. Doell was not playing.
                                "Chicago goaltender Peter Mannino (6-3) earned the victory with 27 saves and survived a 17-6 shots disadvantage in the third period as Texas attempted to claw back."
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X