Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    They certainly can't overlook Air Force next weekend, even though they are in last place in the ECAC. DU is definitely the "Cinderella" in this year's tourney.
    The Air Force game doesn't matter in terms of league standings, as DU has clinched the league trophy and the NCAA auto-bid. Where it might matter is in the battle for the best possible seeding and the regional rivalry. DU may also be careful about who plays, as they make not want to risk injury with the AQ bid already sewn up.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      The Air Force game doesn't matter in terms of league standings, as DU has clinched the league trophy and the NCAA auto-bid. Where it might matter is in the battle for the best possible seeding and the regional rivalry. DU may also be careful about who plays, as they make not want to risk injury with the AQ bid already sewn up.
      Exactly, DU up to #12 in today's USILA coaches poll....

http://www.laxpower.com/update10/binmen/poll01.php

And #17 in tournament selection index (TSI).

http://www.laxpower.com/update10/binmen/tsi01.php
      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Mark Kizla's Column in the Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15004728

Don't miss the video on the same page. Good game footage and interviews.
        Last edited by Puck Swami; 05-03-2010, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Mark Kizla's Column in the Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15004728

Don't miss the video on the same page. Good game footage and interviews.
          Good video. Nice gatorade bath for Coach Tierney.

Comment

Great win. And by the sound of it, an enthusiastic crowd.
            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Good stuff this weekend. The NCAA tournament is going to be tough and winning a game would be a huge step forward.

Comment

More on Dineen. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=28133

Comment

Some chatter on the laxpower message board about DU's playoff date/opponents.

DU is now 11-4 in lax, and with three wins over top 20 teams (two of them top 10), there is a small chance they could rise to be the #8 overall seed, which would mean a home NCAA playoff game. We need to see how the last weekend of games unfold next weekend....

On the other hand, it seems more likely as of now that DU will be more likely to fly to North Carolina, probably to play North Carolina or Duke.
                  The NCAA lacrosse committee tries to make travel as easy as possible. If they can keep us on the same seed line (3 or 4), they would prefer that we travel to Maryland or Princeton. Best non-stop flights. I agree that UNC or Duke is probably who we would draw otherwise.
                  We are not getting a #8 seed. Strength of schedule too weak.
                  Loyola is now a bubble team. That's what happens in 16 team fields.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
                    The NCAA lacrosse committee tries to make travel as easy as possible. If they can keep us on the same seed line (3 or 4), they would prefer that we travel to Maryland or Princeton. Best non-stop flights. I agree that UNC or Duke is probably who we would draw otherwise.
                    We are not getting a #8 seed. Strength of schedule too weak.
                    Loyola is now a bubble team. That's what happens in 16 team fields.
                    We've played Maryland both times in recent NCAA tourney appearances in 2006 and 2008. I'd sure like to play some other school. Princeton would be terrific. Tierney would love that, as he recruited those players...

Comment

Hockey team chartered to Albany for regionals. Would make sense for the Lax team to charter to wherever on the East Coast. It wouldn't matter who they played as a charter can go anywhere.
                      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

You are correct about the charter. It's probably tough to find a commercial flight with 40 seats at the last moment anyway. I just remember that when we were sent to MD a few years ago, mention was made of how it eased up on other schools traveling plans. (we had to fly anyway. but some other school got to bus by flip flopping seedings)
                        I also don't want to play the Terps again. We got clocked there with a better team, but no Tierney. He must be amazing, for our talent is not top 20 material. I want Princeton.
                        For you DU78:

Dillon Roy: I came to Denver so I could beat Johns Hopkins.

Comment

Chartering a plane is an expensive proposition and although DU is reimbursed by the NCAA for Tourney travel it usually only covers about half of the charter cost for the hockey team. That is why DU has teamed up with Air Force or CC in some recent charters.

When you have school budgets that are set a year ahead of time, a charter flight is an unbudgeted expense. The Chancellor would have to approve the expense if the Athletic Department doesn't have the money.
                          Last edited by dggoddard; 05-04-2010, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Turns out that DU Womens Golfer Sue Kim dropped out of DU. She was one to the two highly touted recruits with the last name "Kim" that were Freshmen an DU this year.

Add Sue Kim’s name to the list of college freshmen who lasted only one semester. Kim, 18, left Denver in December and moved with her parents to La Quinta, Calif.

“I couldn’t adjust to the whole college thing,” said Kim, who plans to compete on the Canadian National Team this summer as an amateur before going to LPGA Q-School.

Kim played in all four tournaments for the Pioneers. Her best finish was T-12 at the Ron Moore Intercollegiate. Kim was a two-time junior Canadian Order of Merit winner and was 26th in the Golfweek/Junior Rankings when she signed with Denver.

The Pioneers finished the fall ranked 18th.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              Chartering a plane is an expensive proposition and although DU is reimbursed by the NCAA for Tourney travel it usually only covers about half of the charter cost for the hockey team. That is why DU has teamed up with Air Force or CC in some recent charters.
                              That must be an interesting dynamic! I wonder how much they intermingle? I assume most of them know each other from their various youth programs, but still...
                              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                                That must be an interesting dynamic! I wonder how much they intermingle? I assume most of them know each other from their various youth programs, but still...
                                College hockey players have friends on almost every team and party with each other after many series. The coaches are also usually pretty good friends with each other, unless some recruiting battle boils over.

Only the fans seem to harbor deep resentment.

I believe when DU & CC chartered the plane to Columbus one team took one side of the plane and the other team took the other side. Of course CC flew home early.

Comment

Working...
                                X