Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Dino has a fan in the Columbus Press. http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...s.html?sid=101 Arace was the Whaler beat writer back in the day,covered Dineen as a Whaler and a Blue Jacket.
    Last edited by Bagman; 04-29-2010, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
      Jay Stickney is NOT alone:

Worst Cliche in Hockey; The two goal lead.

I included this blog post for Sioux fans because the 2009-2010 Fighting Sioux hockey team had a propensity to blow/throw a few away games after they had taken a two goal lead.
      In an otherwise excellent piece criticising the Ottawa Senators for their collapse in game six against the Penguins, Wayne Scanlan remarks that the pressure was building as the Senators “set out to defend what Don Cherry always calls the worst lead in hockey: the two goal advantage.”

Now I know what he’s getting at: With a one-goal lead, a team keeps its focus, and with a three goal lead it would require a serious collapse to lose. But two goals? It’s close enough that you need to stay focused, but big enough to convince you that it is OK to relax. But is there any indication that a two goal lead is, objectively, a worse lead to have than a one- (or three-) goal lead? I find it hard to believe.

First thing to keep in mind is that all failed two-goal leads are also failed one-goal leads. That is, on its way to squandering a two-goal lead, a team must also squander a one-goal lead. So, it is analytically the case that the number of squandered one-goal leads is equal to, and empirically a certainty that it is greater than, the number of squandered two-goal leads. [MACLEAN'S.CA]

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/
      But only Jay is so predictable in deploying that cliche that he's got a special clock to keep track of how long it takes him to pull it out of his duffle bag.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
        The women's golf team got placed in the Central Regional for the upcoming NCAA Championships. They're a 6-seed (out of 24 in the region), and will play in Columbus, Indiana. Link. They play May 6-8.

8 teams plus two individuals advance from each of the three regionals, so as long as they hold seed, they should get to play in NC for the championship in 3 weeks.

r
        Latest NCAA and NGCA rankings for Women's Golf and our competition in the regional:
        DU 16/17
        Arizona State 2/2
        USC 4/5
        Purdue 7/8
        Michigan State 13/11
        Georgia 14/15
        New Mexico 21/23
        Florida State 22/22

Hard pressed to believe we could knock off Arizona State or USC, but wouldn't be surprised to see us move up a spot or two if we play as well as they did at SBC Championship.

(Let's wait to take the top 2 down at the Championships!)
        GO DU !!!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          Latest NCAA and NGCA rankings for Women's Golf and our competition in the regional:
          DU 16/17
          Arizona State 2/2
          USC 4/5
          Purdue 7/8
          Michigan State 13/11
          Georgia 14/15
          New Mexico 21/23
          Florida State 22/22

Hard pressed to believe we could knock off Arizona State or USC, but wouldn't be surprised to see us move up a spot or two if we play as well as they did at SBC Championship.

(Let's wait to take the top 2 down at the Championships!)
          Guys, we gotta finish this thread. The title makes me sad...

On another note, do you think we'll end up #1 in the "team of the decade?" When I was contemplating starting a thread like this I was thinking we would be the team hands down if we had won the NCAA. Even if we had won the Boadmoor, I think we could have squeaked it out. Right now, it looks like BC might have the edge. Minny looks tough too, but the past two seasons have really hurt them.
          "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
          Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Dmann View Post

On another note, do you think we'll end up #1 in the "team of the decade?" When I was contemplating starting a thread like this I was thinking we would be the team hands down if we had won the NCAA. Even if we had won the Boadmoor, I think we could have squeaked it out. Right now, it looks like BC might have the edge. Minny looks tough too, but the past two seasons have really hurt them.
            I think it wil go this way. It is going to be very tight between DU and MN.

1) BC
            2) DU
            3) MN
            Last edited by du78; 04-30-2010, 12:36 PM.
            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

How lucky are we to end up most likely in the top three? After all, we could all be all rabid Findlay fans!!!!
              Last edited by Dmann; 04-30-2010, 01:06 PM.
              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
              Tom Serratore

Comment

Woman's Golf- We are probably a bit underseeded. We are probably someplace between 8-12. Kim is hot. (a little too agressive sometimes) and Givens has really improved. Our 4 and 5 players look like they can be turn in decent rounds, ie, give us more depth then last year. Our Star senior, Stephanie Sherlock has not played as well as in prior years. If she regains form, we are maybe a little better then last year. Last year, we finished 5th in NCAA's.
                Men's Lacrosse- We have the only Division I game in the country Sunday afternoon. Center stage for Tierney. Next year his recruits include 5 kids from teams ranked in the top 10 Nationally, and 2 are on the #1 team, Georgetown Prep.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
                  Men's Lacrosse- We have the only Division I game in the country Sunday afternoon. Center stage for Tierney. Next year his recruits include 5 kids from teams ranked in the top 10 Nationally, and 2 are on the #1 team, Georgetown Prep.
                  Wow. 50% of the top 10 recruits? Holy crap. A lot of east coast lax people predicted top players woudn't come out to Denver due to the distance and and better academics back east where most of the top players come from.

This recruiting success proves the Tierney mystique is important to both lax players and parents. When you couple east and west coast recruiting reach with a top coach who hsa won multiple NCAA titles at a more restricted admissions school like Princeton, DU has a very compelling future in lax...
                  Last edited by Puck Swami; 04-30-2010, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post

Couldn't agree more about the thread title. It's like picking a scab.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      Wow. 50% of the top 10 recruits? Holy crap. A lot of east coast lax people predicted top players woudn't come out to Denver due to the distance and and better academics back east where most of the top players come from.

This recruiting success proves the Tierney mystique is important to both lax players and parents. When you couple east and west coast recruiting reach with a top coach who hsa won multiple NCAA titles at a more restricted admissions school like Princeton, DU has a very compelling future in lax...
                      Not 5 of the Top 10 recruits. Just 5 players who play on Top 10 teams. Big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                        Not 5 of the Top 10 recruits. Just 5 players who play on Top 10 teams. Big difference.
                        Good catch. I read it wrong. Hopefully, those players are good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          Good catch. I read it wrong. Hopefully, those players are good ones.
                          Even so, historically, these are guys who couldn't find Denver on a map. So it's good to be getting their attention.

Comment

Final wrap-up the 2009/10 DU hockey season from the DU website.

I must say we are lucky to be DU fans and get the TV/Radio/Webcast coverage that we get on a local and national basis. Sitting here on the east coast, DU broadcast on TV or videocast all but 4 games this season that I was able to watch. For the first time ever, I think I got more live DU games than Gopher games. DU TV games were available on cable and satellite throughout North America. Every game was also available via audiocast. Kudos to FSN-RM, FCS (picked up FSN-RM broadcasts to televise nationally on cable), PioneerVision and the local Denver radio stations for their broadcasts. In the print media, Mike Chambers of the Denver Post led the way. Chambers was on top of all the breaking stories and several times had multiple stories in a day on his newspaper blog. The student newspaper, The Clarion, also had excellent coverage of the team. The print media coverage was avaliable as well on the internet to national fans. Eric Bacher and the DU sports information department kept DU fans abreast with timely stories, game notes, game recaps and weekly press conferences that covered the team on the DU website. Last but not least the #1 college hockey blogger, our own Damien Goddard of LetsGoDU, covered the team by bringing together all the stories, videos and pictures of the team, its opponents, recruiting and of course Boone. It was a fun year watching the team although the ending was not as we hoped. GO DU!!!!!
                            Last edited by du78; 04-30-2010, 07:15 PM.
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Big article and multiple (3!) consecutive videos on DU lacrosse at ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5143697

There is an upcoming story on DU lax in the New York Times magazine and there was a good story on the Pios in the New Yorker recently.

This kind of national and New York high-end publicity is incredible for the school.

This is the kind of stuff that not only brings good lax players, but puts DU in a positive light in the money center of the country, which is great for reputation building and bringing in the kind of affluent students DU needs in order to increase diversity. That might sound strange, but in a tuition-driven school as DU as, having more rich rids enables DU to better discount rates for the less affluent students. The less affluent might complain that there are too many rich kids already at DU, but the reality is that 70% of DU students are on some kind of aid, and the less affluent (and scholarship athletes) are absolutely subsidized by the more affluent families.

Comment

Random Thoughts

Gwozdecky/OSU Mystery
                                May go down in the annals along with:
                                >What happened to/Where is the Original Gold Pan?
                                >What did Brock Trotter do to "pizz" off the DU Administration?
                                >What did Lucas Dora do to get suspended for the 2004 Championship Game?

Top Teams of the Decade
                                Ditto-Great job by Priceless
                                Think we will probably be behind BC.

2 Goals the "most dangerous lead"
                                Don Cherry and Jay Stickney--we know they think alike, but do they dress alike????
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X