Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    I assume we're talking about Mark Osiecki.

I think its a really good hire for them.

If DU is the USC of college hockey, then Ohio State is like UCLA. Its going to take a young guy with a ton of energy to turn them around and fill that enormous barn. Gwozdecky turned around DU, Lucia turned around CC, Walsh turned around Maine. This is a similar opportunity for Osiecki.
    No disrespect intended, I'm sure he'll be great for them. Sometimes I have a hard time picturing schools like Notre Dame and OSU with serious hockey programs. I'm used to the smaller/private schools with long standing traditions.
    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
    Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
      No disrespect intended, I'm sure he'll be great for them. Sometimes I have a hard time picturing schools like Notre Dame and OSU with serious hockey programs. I'm used to the smaller/private schools with long standing traditions.
      Yeah, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Michigan, Michigan State - all small, private schools ????

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
      HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
        Yeah, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Michigan, Michigan State - all small, private schools ????
        Right, maybe I see ND and OSU as football schools.
        Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Erik Adams is playing with the 1st year team, Allen Americans in the CHL and they are in the playoffs. He previously played with the Colorado Eagles.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Sunday Lacrosse: Tough timing. The Men play Loyola at Invesco at 1PM for the ECAC Championship. If the women advance as they should, they will also have a conference championship game at 1 PM on campus. 2 NCAA bids up for grabs with a split fan audience. Bummer. They should try and move the Woman's game to 4PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
              Sunday Lacrosse: Tough timing. The Men play Loyola at Invesco at 1PM for the ECAC Championship. If the women advance as they should, they will also have a conference championship game at 1 PM on campus. 2 NCAA bids up for grabs with a split fan audience. Bummer. They should try and move the Woman's game to 4PM.
              I agree. I don't think DU considered that both NCAA bids might be stake at the same time, although technically even if the DU women win their MPSF tourney, they only make the NCAA play-in game against the A-10 champion. If the men win, they get an NCAA AQ bid as ECAC champion. Loyola will likely get a bid win or lose vs DU, due to its high ranking.

In hindsight, DU should have put both games on campus to create real home field advantage for DU. As it is, splitting the crowd and putting the men at Mile High before 70,000+ empty seats I think hurts both programs. Even if the men draw 5,000 to Mile High (which is 2,500 more than Barton can hold), it's going to look silly. I'd rather DU just rented some extra bleachers for the weekend and packed 3, 500 into Barton.

Comment

The women's golf team got placed in the Central Regional for the upcoming NCAA Championships. They're a 6-seed (out of 24 in the region), and will play in Columbus, Indiana. Link. They play May 6-8.

8 teams plus two individuals advance from each of the three regionals, so as long as they hold seed, they should get to play in NC for the championship in 3 weeks.

r

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  I agree. I don't think DU considered that both NCAA bids might be stake at the same time, although technically even if the DU women win their MPSF tourney, they only make the NCAA play-in game against the A-10 champion. If the men win, they get an NCAA AQ bid as ECAC champion. Loyola will likely get a bid win or lose vs DU, due to its high ranking.

In hindsight, DU should have put both games on campus to create real home field advantage for DU. As it is, splitting the crowd and putting the men at Mile High before 70,000+ empty seats I think hurts both programs. Even if the men draw 5,000 to Mile High (which is 2,500 more than Barton can hold), it's going to look silly. I'd rather DU just rented some extra bleachers for the weekend and packed 3, 500 into Barton.
                  DU Lax gets an opportunity to play at Mile High and they're supposed to turn it down?

DU Lax reaps publicity, recruiting buzz and brand awareness playing in a NFL stadium. Heck if DU was invited to play Flag Football in Invesco they'd be crazy to turn it down.

Remember that Pat Bowlen helped bring Tierney to DU. This was part of the package. Give Tierney time to bring John Hopkins, UNC or Syracuse to Mile High and we'll be singing a different tune.

USA Today - 2009

Tierney said he had a chance to talk with key administrators and board members of the school on a visit late last week and also met with Pat Bowlen, owner of the Outlaws and NFL Denver Broncos.

"I kept hearing the same thing: 'We really want you to be the guy who brings lacrosse to the next level at Denver,' " Tierney said.
                  Last edited by dggoddard; 04-28-2010, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I spoke to some parents about the locale of this week's men's game and they said their sons love the idea of playing at Invesco. The problem is, The Loyola players will probably love it also.
                    Woman's play-in game. It will be like the Tuesday night 64-65 game from Dayton in men's hoops.
                    Tierney's contract. If anyone has an idea what he is being paid, I'd love you to share it. Do you think Pat Bowlen chipped in?
                    Last edited by thedunker; 04-28-2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
                      Tierney's contract. If anyone has an idea what he is being paid, I'd love you to share it. Do you think Pat Bowlen chipped in?
                      Here's Mike Chambers's blog, who projects up to $250K for Tierney.
                      http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12565687

I imagine Tierney is getting somewhere around $200K as a base salary, which is at or near the top of the pay scale for national men's lax coaches. He also gets his lax camp hosted and other ancillary stuff that pushes the overall pay package higher into the $250 range. Bowlen is on the DU Board of Trustees. He may have been important in luring Tierney out here, but I doubt he's chipping in on the salary. He's helping by making Invesco available to the lax program.
                      Last edited by Puck Swami; 04-28-2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Jay Stickney is NOT alone:

Worst Cliche in Hockey; The two goal lead.

I included this blog post for Sioux fans because the 2009-2010 Fighting Sioux hockey team had a propensity to blow/throw a few away games after they had taken a two goal lead.
                        In an otherwise excellent piece criticising the Ottawa Senators for their collapse in game six against the Penguins, Wayne Scanlan remarks that the pressure was building as the Senators “set out to defend what Don Cherry always calls the worst lead in hockey: the two goal advantage.”

Now I know what he’s getting at: With a one-goal lead, a team keeps its focus, and with a three goal lead it would require a serious collapse to lose. But two goals? It’s close enough that you need to stay focused, but big enough to convince you that it is OK to relax. But is there any indication that a two goal lead is, objectively, a worse lead to have than a one- (or three-) goal lead? I find it hard to believe.

First thing to keep in mind is that all failed two-goal leads are also failed one-goal leads. That is, on its way to squandering a two-goal lead, a team must also squander a one-goal lead. So, it is analytically the case that the number of squandered one-goal leads is equal to, and empirically a certainty that it is greater than, the number of squandered two-goal leads. [MACLEAN'S.CA]

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

The squandering of two goal leads, in my opinion, is mostly because the team with the lead changes strategy into a more defensive posture. They lose the intensity of focus because they no longer move their feet as much to dig for pucks, because they are concerned about losing position and conserving themselves and their lead. They let the game come at them vs. dictating the pace of the game.

I am a big believer that 2-0 leads would be more protectable if teams kept attacking. The other team can't score if the puck is in their end...

Comment

Columbus Blue Jackets given permission to talk to DU alum Kevin Dineen for their head coaching job.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=319875
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Guys, if you haven't already been to this thread, take a look, it's awesome and the suspense is mounting. We are going to end up probably the #2 team of the decade. It's funny because prior to our collapse, I emailed du78 to ask him if I should start such a thread. He advised me to wait. I'm glad I did, what a ton a work this guy "Priceless" has done on this. Check it out!!

The Top 60 Programs of the Decade

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=90451
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                                Guys, if you haven't already been to this thread, take a look, it's awesome and the suspense is mounting. We are going to end up probably the #2 team of the decade. It's funny because prior to our collapse, I emailed du78 to ask him if I should start such a thread. He advised me to wait. I'm glad I did, what a ton a work this guy "Priceless" has done on this. Check it out!!

The Top 60 Programs of the Decade

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=90451
                                Great job by Priceless!

Adam Wodon over at CHN trying to make sense of what did or didn't happen with the filling of the head coaching position at OSU. It is still very unclear what Gwoz did or did not do with regards to applying for that job.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...9_whatwent.php
                                Last edited by du78; 04-29-2010, 02:52 PM.
                                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Working...
                                X