Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

DU Men's LAX just beat Fairfield 9-8 on ESPNU.
    STEAMER Hockey

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Thanks for banquet update 14ers. Great recap.

I'll do my best BYU Alum impersonation Just finished watching DU lacrosse on ESPNU. They beat Fairfield 9-8 in a huge come from behind win. If they lost, their season was essentially over. They have to beat Loyola next game to win the ECAC and make the NCAAs. I think they mentioned that the game was going to be at Invesco. They've won 7 in a row I believe now.

Edit: You beat me to it Joey!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        Cool banquet update - wish I could have been there, but was traveling.

Were Colborne, Wiercioch and Chevy there?

Nine postseason surgeries is a lot. Wow. That does explain some of the flatness in play down the stretch. I hate that hockey culture and privacy rules rob the fans of the real knowledge of their team's physical state.

Did Gwoz talk about the early exit at all?
        NINE surgeries, eh? At first blush that certainly could explain some of the post season let down. We're always going to have a problem with the disproportionate impact of injuries (especially late) as compared to a state school. Just the way things are.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Thanks, CO14ers, for the recap! Good stuff. I think the only banquet I attended was after the 05 national title. I remember how awkward and shy Stastny looked--now he's the lead dude on an NHL team. How quickly our PIO's grow up!

Interesting about Ryder's injury. He turned into one of my favorite DU players down the stretch, with some awesome bone crunching (and legal) hits against some poor CC saps. I look forward to Ryder having a break out year next season.

Great news on the lacrosse team. Their season started out woefully, but it seems like they've righted the ship. It would be great if they could somehow sneak into the NCAA tourney.

Comment

Cool banquet update - wish I could have been there, but was traveling.

Were Colborne, Wiercioch and Chevy there?

Nine postseason surgeries is a lot. Wow. That does explain some of the flatness in play down the stretch. I hate that hockey culture and privacy rules rob the fans of the real knowledge of their team's physical state.

Did Gwoz talk about the early exit at all?
            Colborne and Wiercioch were not at the banquet, but Cheverie was. Chevy is actually graduating in June and was allowed to give a speech. Brandon Vossberg was not there as he was at his mother's birthday party, but he had his speech videotaped. His was the longest of all the speeches by far. The most notable speeches of the night, in my opinion, were Cheverie, Ruegs and of course Rhett. Cheverie took the adhoc approach and made everyone laugh when he called Gwozdecky Gwoz, since he wasn't one of Gwoz's players anymore. Tyler's speech was a serous speech with a lot of religious references in it. It was very well done and Tyler had some trouble getting through it emotionally. Gwoz had to come up during his speech to offer him a napkin after Tyler mentioned that "snot is flying everywhere up here." Rhett's speech was my favorite and included a lot of humor, even one-upping Chevy by calling Gwozdecky George.

Gwoz only said that the team fell short of their ultimate goal, but seemed overall to be pleased with the season. I really think that the injuries played a huge factor down the stretch. I'm not sure of injury specifics with most of the guys, but like I said, lots of slings, braces and casts were in attendance.
            DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
            sigpic
            WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cross-Czech View Post
              Thanks for banquet update 14ers. Great recap.

I'll do my best BYU Alum impersonation Just finished watching DU lacrosse on ESPNU. They beat Fairfield 9-8 in a huge come from behind win. If they lost, their season was essentially over. They have to beat Loyola next game to win the ECAC and make the NCAAs. I think they mentioned that the game was going to be at Invesco. They've won 7 in a row I believe now.

Edit: You beat me to it Joey!
              I came up from NJ for the Lacrosse game at The Rent. Beautiful stadium on a sunny 70 degree day. Good alumni and Lacrosse parents attendance. The Parents all echoed how Coach Tierney has given their sons the best Lacrosse and Educational experience they could have ever dreamed about.
              Game was intense for both teams. It was like the NCAA tournament had already started for both teams. Lose and you're done. (except for games left just for pride) Well we survived. Next week is our NCAA play-in game. Beat Loyala of Maryland and we go dancing one or two years ahead of schedule.
              Funny aside: SuperCuts was one of the sponsors of the "Warrior Classic". They were giving free Mohawk haircuts. It looked like 1,000 10 year old Lacrosse players went home sporting a new-do. The Fathers who brought the kids to the game knew there would be hell to pay when they got home.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                Can you give us any more details on who had surgery and any comments you remember from the senior's talks.
                Shouldn't be too hard to figure it out based on previous injuries or missed games.

Ryder, Nutini, Wrenn, Maiani, Wiercioch, Martin & Ruegsegger would be my guess. Thats seven.

Comment

Thanks for the update 14er. I enjoyed seeing you and Ksant and "george" in Detroit even though the games were boring as hell I was still glad I made the trip. Your recap of the dinner made me wish I had gotten off my butt and ponied up the cash to hear the speeches.
                  Go Pioneers!

Comment

Curious as to what Denver fans think of what USHR.com reported:

The three finalists were Osiecki, Boston College associate head coach Mike Cavanaugh, and Denver head coach George Gwozdecky. We're getting two different reports on Gwozdecky's not being hired, one indicating his price tag was too high -- even for OSU -- and the other saying that he slept on it, and decided to stick with Denver. More likely, it was some combination of the two. And, of course, there could well be reasons we may never know of.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

The three finalists were Osiecki, Boston College associate head coach Mike Cavanaugh, and Denver head coach George Gwozdecky. We're getting two different reports on Gwozdecky's not being hired, one indicating his price tag was too high -- even for OSU -- and the other saying that he slept on it, and decided to stick with Denver. More likely, it was some combination of the two. And, of course, there could well be reasons we may never know of.
                      It would have been an odd move. Going from DU to a school that averages less than 3,000 fans and plays in a 18,000 seat arena. When OSU played DU this season there were less than 500 fans in the arenas both night, so Gwoz certainly knew what he was getting into.

He wants a new contract. Savvy fans will notice that Seth and Enrico got new contracts this offseason.

DU is so mismanaged, they may not give it to him. Should be interesting, especially if the Michigan, Minnesota or Michigan State jobs open up.
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 04-26-2010, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

I think Gwoz went to Columbus to fire a leveraged warning shot across DU's bow to extend his contract at Denver and to consult with OSU on helping them find a new coach.

I don't believe he was ever a real candidate. Why? Five reasons:

1) He likes it in Denver. He has a senior laden team next year that could be a contender even with all the graduations and early pro signings.

2) He told the Denver Post he didn't have interest in the OSU job. Gwoz does not have a history of misleading or lying to the press, so I will take him at his word.

3) He has a 16 year old daughter at home and it's his only child. If he makes a move, I would think it would be after she leaves home for college or is at least a senior in HS and she could stay with her mom for a year while he coaches.

4) Michigan and Minnesota jobs may well be opening up next year. Those would be jobs that would not require as much heavy lifting as OSU.

5) USHR is not a bad web site, but their credibility is not above question.
                        Last edited by Puck Swami; 04-26-2010, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                          It would have been an odd move. Going from DU to a school that averages less than 3,000 fans and plays in a 18,000 seat arena. When OSU played DU this season there were less than 500 fans in the arenas both night, so Gwoz certainly knew what he was getting into.

He wants a new contract. Savvy fans will notice that Seth and Enrico got new contracts this offseason.

DU is so mismanaged, they may not give it to him. Should be interesting, especially if the Michigan, Minnesota or Michigan State jobs open up.
                          I don't think it would have been as odd as it appears on the surface.

First, there is the money. A school like DU, CC or UND simply can't compete with Big 10 dollars. The money those athletic departments generate, and the opportunities for coaching clinics, media deals, etc..., dwarf what someone can make at a smaller school.

Gwozdecky is a Big 10 guy. I don't think you can ever underestimate the loyalty people have to the Big 10, or the fondness for the memories they develop while at those big midwest schools; the game day atmospheres, the huge fan bases, etc...

I still wouldn't be surprised if we see a big push to have the Big 10 form a separate hockey conference in the next 10 years, especially if Big 10 expansion occurs. George would get a chance to get in on the ground floor of that.

Finally, guys like Gwozdecky and Blais love challenges, and are not afraid of going to a more "non-traditional" setting to see if they can build a championship program. Just when you think they will never leave a situation where they have it very good, I suspect they start to feel a little stale and move on. And they don't need to move to a ready made situation, like a Michigan or Minnesota.

With or without a new contract, if the Michigan, Minnesota or MSU jobs open up in the next year or two, don't be surprised to see him head back to the Big 10.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            I don't think it would have been as odd as it appears on the surface.

First, there is the money. A school like DU, CC or UND simply can't compete with Big 10 dollars. The money those athletic departments generate, and the opportunities for coaching clinics, media deals, etc..., dwarf what someone can make at a smaller school.

Gwozdecky is a Big 10 guy. I don't think you can ever underestimate the loyalty people have to the Big 10, or the fondness for the memories they develop while at those big midwest schools; the game day atmospheres, the huge fan bases, etc...

I still wouldn't be surprised if we see a big push to have the Big 10 form a separate hockey conference in the next 10 years, especially if Big 10 expansion occurs. George would get a chance to get in on the ground floor of that.

Finally, guys like Gwozdecky and Blais love challenges, and are not afraid of going to a more "non-traditional" setting to see if they can build a championship program. Just when you think they will never leave a situation where they have it very good, I suspect they start to feel a little stale and move on. And they don't need to move to a ready made situation, like a Michigan or Minnesota.

With or without a new contract, if the Michigan, Minnesota or MSU jobs open up in the next year or two, don't be surprised to see him head back to the Big 10.
                            All true with a few caveats...

1) Money - Gwoz was paid a top 3 in national coaching salary when he signed his last contract at DU, so if the Pioneers choose to extend his contract , there is a precedent that DU has found enough money to pay him at a Big 10 level before and they will likely need to do it again. As a private school, they have some monetary flexibility that smaller public schools may not have.

2) Gwoz has turned down both Wisconsin and MSU (and now OSU) before when they were last looking for coaches, so there is also a precedent for him staying, assuming he gets paid at a level that is appropriate for all parties.

3) Now it's up to DU to show how serious they are about locking up Gwoz up for a while...

Comment

All true with a few caveats...

1) Money - Gwoz was paid a top 3 in national coaching salary when he signed his last contract at DU, so if the Pioneers choose to extend his contract , there is a precedent that DU has found enough money to pay him at a Big 10 level before and they will likely need to do it again. As a private school, they have some monetary flexibility that smaller public schools may not have.

2) Gwoz has turned down both Wisconsin and MSU (and now OSU) before when they were last looking for coaches, so there is also a precedent for him staying, assuming he gets paid at a level that is appropriate for all parties.

3) Now it's up to DU to show how serious they are about locking up Gwoz up for a while...
                              I gotta say it freaks me out a little that we're talking about this. I feel like Gwoz might have read our minds (or posts ) about our displeasure with the post season. I know, I know, what does he care about what we think, but geeez!! Maybe he is the "Wizard of Gwoz" Anyway, I realize this day will come one day, but I for one am not ready. On another note, is the picture of that guy they hired at OSU on the homepage of this website freaking anybody else out? DG, any comments on this?
                              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                                On another note, is the picture of that guy they hired at OSU on the homepage of this website freaking anybody else out? DG, any comments on this?
                                I assume we're talking about Mark Osiecki.

I think its a really good hire for them.

If DU is the USC of college hockey, then Ohio State is like UCLA. Its going to take a young guy with a ton of energy to turn them around and fill that enormous barn. Gwozdecky turned around DU, Lucia turned around CC, Walsh turned around Maine. This is a similar opportunity for Osiecki.
                                Last edited by dggoddard; 04-27-2010, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X