Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    I came across this little piece on Murray Armstrong that appeared a year or so ago on a Regina Pats history web site:

http://www.reginapatshistory.com/200...-57-wcjhl.html

Some of the tidbits I didn't know about Murray:

-Murray once turned down an offer to coach the New York Rangers
    -I knew that when he signed at DU, Murray not only guranteed a NCAA title in three years to his athletic director (he did in in two years) but I didn't know that he said he'd resign if he didn't do it.
    -DU started him at $7,000 a year in 1956. In today's money, that's about $56,000 - quite a bargain!
    Couple of quibbles in an otherwise terrific article:

Red Hay played for CC (yes, it was before my time!). And Red Berenson didn't come along at Michigan until many years later. The Michigan coach in those days was Vic Heyliger.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Article on Kevin Dineen. http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2010/0...dy-to-move-on/

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
        Front page story from today's Denver Post.
        I'm a docent for Copshaholm in South Bend (one of verrrry few intact mansions on display in the country--and an impressive gem to boot)...and this home blew me away. I always like when structures like this remain private residences instead of being partitioned out into offices or apartments...or worse...torn down.
        "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          Couple of quibbles in an otherwise terrific article:

Red Hay played for CC (yes, it was before my time!). And Red Berenson didn't come along at Michigan until many years later. The Michigan coach in those days was Vic Heyliger.
          Red Berenson played for Michigan right after Regina. The roster in the article indicates several DU greats having played there including Marty Howe, Grant Munro, Jon Art and Jerry Walker. Interesting that Berenson went to Michigan and didn't follow Murray to DU.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
            Red Berenson played for Michigan right after Regina. The roster in the article indicates several DU greats having played there including Marty Howe, Grant Munro, Jon Art and Jerry Walker. Interesting that Berenson went to Michigan and didn't follow Murray to DU.
            The article was not especially well written. I reread it and the phrase "coached by Red Berenson" as regards Michigan is there, a couple of decades prematurely. Still wonder if Murray lost Red Hay at the airport or what.
            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Red didn't think DU was academically strong enough in comparison to Michigan.

Comment

Jason Zucker will be trying for his 3rd Gold Medal tomorrow.
                Not bad for a kid from Las Vegas!
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                  Jason Zucker will be trying for his 3rd Gold Medal tomorrow.
                  Not bad for a kid from Las Vegas!
                  And Nick Shore is quietly tied for the team lead in scoring. These two are turning out to be quite the pair.

Sweden has a couple of players that will be first or second round draft choices so the teams will be equal in talent.

Sweden is hitting on 33% of their power plays (DU needs to be studying the film). The US is killing 95% shorthanded opportunities.

World domination on the line. Go USA

Comment

DU skiers.
                    sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Drew, Nick and is Quentin next?
                      http://collegehockeyrecruitexchange.blogspot.com/
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

DU team awards from Hockey Banquet:

DENVER - Junior goaltender Marc Cheverie (Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia) earned his second consecutive Most Valuable Player honor, while senior captain Rhett Rakhshani (Huntington Beach, Calif.) was named Most Inspirational Player as the University of Denver celebrated its 54th Annual Hockey Awards Evening tonight at the Cable Center on the DU campus.
                        The Pioneers (27-10-4) captured their 12th WCHA regular-season title, Gold Pan Trophy and 14th Wells Fargo Denver Cup championship. In addition, the Pioneers advanced to their third consecutive NCAA Tournament and posted its school-record ninth straight 20-win season. Denver enjoyed a 10-game winning streak from Jan. 29-Feb. 27 and swept four-game, regular-season series' from North Dakota and Minnesota in the same season for the first time in school history. Denver also landed a WCHA-record 19 members on the All-WCHA Academic Team.

In addition, the Pioneers said goodbye to seniors Cody Brookwell (Calgary, Alberta), Brian Gifford (Moorhead, Minn.), Matt Glasser (Calgary, Alberta), Tyler Ruegsegger (Lakewood), Brandon Vossberg (St. Paul, Minn.) and Rakhshani, and junior Cheverie, who signed a pro contract with the Florida Panthers. DU also said goodbye to sophomores Joe Colborne (Calgary, Alberta) and Wiercioch, who signed pro deals with Boston and Ottawa, respectively. Rakhshani also signed a pro deal with the New York Islanders.

Rakhshani, Ruegsegger, Glasser, Brookwell, Gifford and Glasser finished their careers with 97 wins, three NCAA Tournament appearances, one WCHA Final Five championship, one WCHA regular-season title and three Wells Fargo Denver Cup titles.

Cheverie earned the Bill Masterton Memorial Award (MVP), Keith Magnuson Memorial Award for best defensive player and "Star of the Year" Award (most star of the game points) after posting 24-6-3 record with a 2.08 goals against average, .932 save percentage and six shutouts. The Hobey Baker Award Top-10 finalist and consensus All-American led the WCHA in goals against average (2.05), save percentage (.934), wins (17) and shutouts (4) in league games. Cheverie set the DU shutout minutes mark at 223:51 and tied Peter Mannino's school record with three consecutive shutouts.

Rakhshani, who was the first forward since 1999-2000 to captain the Pioneers, earned the Dr. Ralph Verploeg Award for most inspirational player and Leading Scorer Award. Rakhshani was a Hobey Baker Award Top-10 finalist and consensus All-American after posting a career-high 50 points on 21 goals and 29 assists. Rakhshani captured the WCHA scoring title with 35 points on 15 goals and 20 assists in league games and was a three-time Red Baron WCHA Offensive Player of the Week honoree. Rakhshani finished his four-year career tied for 18th on DU's all-time scoring list with 151 points on 60 goals and 91 assists in 156 games.

Matt Donovan (Edmond, Okla.) earned the Barry Sharp Memorial Award as top freshman, while Nate Dewhurst (Johnston, Iowa) and Chris Nutini (Centennial) shared the Murray Armstrong Award as most improved players.

Glasser earned the Dr. Ken Bredesen Award for sportsmanship and shared the Dr. Art Mason Award for top scholar-athlete with Ruegsegger. Vossberg earned the Bob Martin Memorial Award for community service for the fourth consecutive season.

DU Faculty Athletics Representative Dr. Nancy Sampson recognized DU's record 19 All-WCHA Academic honorees and school-record eight WCHA Scholar-Athlete winners. Jon Cook (Denver), Dustin Jackson (Omaha, Neb.), John Lee (Moorhead, Minn.), Jesse Martin (Edmonton, Alberta), Kyle Ostrow (Calgary, Alberta), Lars Paulgaard (Vettre, Norway), John Ryder (Colorado Springs), Luke Salazar (Thornton), Brookwell, Cheverie, Colborne, Dewhurst, Gifford, Glasser, Nutini, Rakhshani, Ruegsegger, Wiercioch and Vossberg were all honored for earning a 3.0 GPA or better this season. In addition, Colborne, Gifford, Glasser, Nutini, Ostrow, Rakhshani, Ruegsegger and Wiercioch were recognized for GPA's of 3.5 or better.

Comment

I went to the DU awards banquet last night with KScant. A wonderful evening to celebrate the fine young men that made up this team. We sat at a table with the whole Ryder family, Matt Glasser and Cody Brookwell. The senior speeches were great, especially Tyler and Rhett. Those who have met Rhett can probably imagine how his was, a great blend of humor and seriousness. We also had a great chat with Gwoz (kinda rare for me and kscant), Miller, Tenzer, Lalond, and Bacher. Those who might not know, but Murray and Gail Dow are moving to Kentucky.

One of the amazing things to see were so many of the guys with slings, braces, and casts. Gwoz let known at the end of the banquet that the team set a new "record" for post season surgeries totaling 9 that happened after the last game. John Ryder played for the last 18 months with a torn maniscus in his knee that was just diagnosed a few weeks ago. Our boys were hurting down the stretch more than most of us knew.

I must admit that I wasn't really that pumped about going tonight, but I am certainly glad that I did. Tonight reminded me of the unique position that I am in (mainly because of where we choose to sit in the arena) to be able to get to know the parents of these players and some of the players themselves. Detroit also reminded me of how lucky I have been to get to know the DU coaching staff, support staff and long lasting friendships with many former players who have now moved on to new careers within and without of hockey. Pretty cool for a community guy without a serious student tie to the team (I'm an ASU grad, although am very close to a master's at DU that I'll probably never finish).

It was also a night where the bandwagon riff-raff was absent. I remember the banquets after NC's in 04 and 05. Tonight was much more of an intimate environment where many true fans were in attendance and not much else. Please do not take that as a criticism to those who post here on this board, as I know all of us are the top 1% of fans. I'm just saying that zero bandwagon fans who were here in town attended.

Another kinda funny note was that at the end, Gwoz made a big deal about him NOT putting his 04 ring on EBay -- DG's blog had a story on a Gwoz ring on there. Gwoz wore his ring tonight to prove that he didn't put his on EBay and is worried that the ring out there sends a bad message. Gwoz is in touch with Jostens to find out what the hell is going on. I guess Matt Laatsh sent him an email about it, including a link to the bidding, and asked Gwoz if things were bad for him at DU. LOL.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions of what went down at the ceremony or my experience there that hasn't been covered in this here missive, please ask. The last thing Gwoz said is that he expects next year's team to be in the Frozen Four in St. Paul.

Let's Go DU~

CO14ers.
                          DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                          sigpic
                          WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Thanks for the awesome update on the Banquet.

Some background about the "ring story." I received an email on April 15 from someone I didn't recognize with a link to the eBay 2004 Ring auction. I sent an email to someone at DU who might have known if the ring had been stolen.

Two Wisconsin players rings have been stolen, and I immediately thought this was a "stolen "ring."

After I heard back my DU contact and reread the eBay note, I saw that eBay mentioned the ring was a "Salesman Sample." If the ring had been stolen, I would not have posted it in LetsGoDU.

Gwozdecky has a right to be upset with Josten's because its seems to me to be a pretty clear case of Licensing/Trademark infringement. There appears to be a serial number on one of the ring photos on eBay.

Almost every day I receive an email from someone with an cool tidbit about DU hockey or our program's history. The blog almost writes itself. :-)
                            Last edited by dggoddard; 04-24-2010, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Cool banquet update - wish I could have been there, but was traveling.

Were Colborne, Wiercioch and Chevy there?

Nine postseason surgeries is a lot. Wow. That does explain some of the flatness in play down the stretch. I hate that hockey culture and privacy rules rob the fans of the real knowledge of their team's physical state.

Did Gwoz talk about the early exit at all?

Comment

Ditto on the banquet update!

Can you give us any more details on who had surgery and any comments you remember from the senior's talks.
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X