Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    IMHO they'll be eliminating the 3rd place game one year too late.
    Yep

Had a housefull of relatives but I was able to watch some of the 3rd period. Poorest performance this season by the team. Everyone has to re-dedicate themselves this coming week. If not, season over.

Looks like DU will be playing RIT as they have a 5-0 lead over SHU at the end of the 2nd period.
    Last edited by du78; 03-20-2010, 07:40 PM.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Be happy to play y'all no matter when it is. Look forward to a challenge!

Go Chargers,
      GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Some random thoughts:

1- This weekend felt like the Twilight Zone.
        2- Swami makes the the top "intellectual quote" of the weekend with "Ephemeral Mirage" Wow, time to break out some Saint Exubery"s "Petit Prince" for reference!!
        3- I thought Murray held his own.
        4- I am very worried about this team.
        5- I can't help but think of the conversation on this board last year about the Pios in the playoffs, remember Pablo? (granted we're not in the NCAAs yet so that was premature)
        6-I was so relieved to have different announcers today. I feel like writing a letter (that sounds like something my wife would say)
        7- co14ers, sorry about the poor choice of words last night, I was trashed.
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
          Some random thoughts:

2- Swami makes the the top "intellectual quote" of the weekend with "Ephemeral Mirage" Wow, time to break out some Saint Exubery"s "Petit Prince" for reference!!
          5- I can't help but think of the conversation on this board last year about the Pios in the playoffs, remember Pablo? (granted we're not in the NCAAs yet so that was premature)
          6-I was so relieved to have different announcers today. I feel like writing a letter (that sounds like something my wife would say)
          I missed the "Ephemeral Mirage". Must have been when I was outside catching my double shot of Crown Royal courtesy of the Old Pio.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

I was just browsing the WCHA Live Blog from earlier today when Denver played Wisconsin and came across this entry:

[Comment From Roger: ]
            Have heard Nutini's injury is a broken ankle and thatWrenn's is a dislocated hip, but of course, no one on the DU staff will speak openly about such injuries.
            Saturday March 20, 2010 2:18 Roger

I have no idea if this is accurate, but based on how long the players have been out of the lineup this guy may know something. Throw in Maiani's injury and the team is in tough shape going into the tournament.
            sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
              Some random thoughts:

3 & 4 are the most relevant here. Standing hip deep in what may be the wreckage of the entire season, under very unfavorable circumstances, the kid did do well.

I think we're all worried. And for good reason. It's not just a matter of losing two games. It's a matter of the nation's #1 ranked team being whipped last night and humiliated this afternoon. Denver people have seen games over the last 20 years or more in which the Pioneers have probably been smacked around the way they were today, but not me. The last game I saw in college was the '69 NC in the Broadmoor. And the few games I've seen since graduation, we've won. So this really is new territory for me.

Perhaps it goes back to the beginning of the season and the (apparantly) overly optimistic expectations. This was a senior dominated team, with lots of scoring punch that was just going to roll over people. Well, we had some scoring, but most of the rolling was done by the guy in the nets. And when he got hurt (or didn't show up) DU was exposed as an ordinary team with no ability to compensate for Chevy's absenses (think of that game against UAA).

So here at the end, when we're anticipating the tournament, DU just mails in a couple of performances against two key conference opponants who are peaking at just the right time, and looks simply awful in the process. I can imagine people shaking their heads, "this is the #1 team in the country?"

IMO there's absolutely nothing to build on after this weekend (Murray not getting blown out of the building isn't even a blip on the radar screen). And Swami's right (I wish I had a buck for every time I've written that) Gwoz and his players are going to have to dig deep to make any waves in the tournament. Right now, I wouldn't be all that chippy about beating RIT. I have a sense that our weaknesses have been exposed and the whole world knows we've been faking it. Man I feel bad about it.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                I was just browsing the WCHA Live Blog from earlier today when Denver played Wisconsin and came across this entry:

[Comment From Roger: ]
                Have heard Nutini's injury is a broken ankle and thatWrenn's is a dislocated hip, but of course, no one on the DU staff will speak openly about such injuries.
                Saturday March 20, 2010 2:18 Roger

I have no idea if this is accurate, but based on how long the players have been out of the lineup this guy may know something. Throw in Maiani's injury and the team is in tough shape going into the tournament.
                Doesn't sound that far fetched.

OK DU is starting witha clean slate. Everyone thinks they will play RIT who will be making their first NCAA appearance. If things go to form they would likely play Cornell in the 2nd game who UND beat twice earlier this season. Likely landing ground will be Albany, NY about 2.5 hours north of NYC. Good chance of a Seth Appert siting as RPI is just across the Hudson River from Albany.

I am going to look on the positive side of things after a disasterous weekend in St. Paul. The team needs to look in the mirror and take a good look at themselves. Get back to the hockey that they play best; strong transition game, relentless forecheck, cycling the puck down low, excellent goaltending.
                Last edited by du78; 03-20-2010, 10:26 PM.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

And if it turns out I'm being an overly pessimistic poopy pants, I'll gladly eat my words. So long as I can wash them down with some you know what.

Comment

And if it turns out I'm being an overly pessimistic poopy pants, I'll gladly eat my words. So long as I can wash them down with some you know what.
                    After this weekend's performance I am surprised you have any left.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                      After this weekend's performance I am surprised you have any left.
                      I'm like John Denver. Remember, he used to do public service announcements about driving 55 and conserving gas, then it turned out he had a 1000 gallon tank on his property? Well, I've got a tank all right, but it ain't gasoline.

Comment

Hard to blame anybody for being negative after this disappointing of a performance. Those players need mind bleach before heading into next week, or maybe it's the fans that need it

Comment

Originally posted by Jori_DSF View Post
                          Hard to blame anybody for being negative after this disappointing of a performance. Those players need mind bleach before heading into next week, or maybe it's the fans that need it
                          We don't count. The players need to have their minds bleached, fluffed, folded and drip dried.

Comment

I'm like John Denver. Remember, he used to do public service announcements about driving 55 and conserving gas, then it turned out he had a 1000 gallon tank on his property? Well, I've got a tank all right, but it ain't gasoline.
                            Why is it I remember that useless piece of information. I remember sitting in those gas station lines in Denver while he was filling 'er up on his property in Aspen. Hottie Claudine Longet shot the wrong person in Aspen.

Claudine was great on McHale's Navy.
                            Last edited by du78; 03-20-2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                              Why is it I remember that useless piece of information. I remember sitting in those gas station lines in Denver while he was filling 'er up on his property in Aspen. Hottie Claudine Longet shot the wrong person in Aspen.

Claudine was great on McHale's Navy.
                              Ahhh, SNL's "Spider Sabich Ski Tournament," classic. As to your question, Denver joined an exclusive club of "celebrity" hypocrits. Willie Nelson did a PSA the theme of which was "laid back Willie doin' 55" 'til the DPS busted him doing 95! End of spots. Then Tony Curtis was fronting for an anti-smoking campaign called "IQ" for I quit, 'til he was popped for pot smoking in a London hotel. Oops.

Don't do as I do, do as I say generally isn't a well received message.

Comment

Ahhh, SNL's "Spider Sabich Ski Tournament," classic. As to your question, Denver joined an exclusive club of "celebrity" hypocrits. Willie Nelson did a PSA the theme of which was "laid back Willie doin' 55" 'til the DPS busted him doing 95! End of spots. Then Tony Curtis was fronting for an anti-smoking campaign called "IQ" for I quit, 'til he was popped for pot smoking in a London hotel. Oops.

Don't do as I do, do as I say generally isn't a well received message.
                                If Willie had been doing the anti-smoking campaign, the ink wouldn't have dried on the contract before he was given the heave-ho.

Comment

Working...
                                X