Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
    I loved the way he worked the crowd, always making everyone feel like a VIP at the Border Do you remember his brother, I can't recall his name, but apparently, he got into a scuffle with a drunk patron and did a "Mike Tyson" on him, bit off a part of his ear Ah the memories, we really knew how to pick the classy joints eh?
    I bumped into a middle aged lady a couple of years ago. During our conversation we discovered we were college hockey fans (she of another WCHA school) and she related with great feeling her visit to Denver for a series. The highlight of her visit? The Border! She couldn't stop talking about the place. Go figure.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
      Denver recruit David Makowski given USHL defensive player of the year award:

http://www.ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=3185
      Thanks GB, he should be a good one. I believe Matt Donovan got this honor last season so that would be two DU recruits in a row.

Edit: I was wrong ex-CC recruit John Moore won the honor last year.
      Last edited by du78; 04-13-2010, 04:18 PM.
      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Say more things like that!!!
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by du78 View Post
          Thanks GB, he should be a good one. I believe Matt Donovan got this honor last season so that would be two DU recruits in a row.

Edit: I was wrong ex-CC recruit John Moore won the honor last year.
          John Moore won the award, but Matt Donovan was the far better defenseman that season. Moore won, i large part, because he was getting all the press clippings about becoming a high NHL Draft pick.

When it came time to choose between Moore or Donovan for a spot on the USA Under 20 National Team, the USA coaches selected Donovan. Donovan helped win the Gold. Moore as you may remember, reneged on his commitment to CC.

Matt Carle won USHL Defenseman of the Year in 2002-03.

Comment

So this class is really shaping up to be something special. DG, is there a quick reference for these recruits and beyond on the one of your sites?
            Tom Serratore

Comment

Local TV story:

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sport...n-of-the-year-
              St. Norbert College Green Knights
              NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
              NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
              NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              ---
              SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Thanks for the link. Looks like David might be giving Lars a run for his money for the wild hair-dos.
                Last edited by du78; 04-14-2010, 08:31 AM.
                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Thanks for the links. What's your scouting report/opinion on Makowski?

Comment

So this class is really shaping up to be something special. DG, is there a quick reference for these recruits and beyond on the one of your sites?
                    Best thing to do is too use the index on LetsGoDU for any DU recruit you are interested in. No other site on the internet has more info on these players.

But to highlight each player.

2010 Recruiting Class
                    F Jason Zucker (U.S. Under-18) May be the most complete US-born Under 18 recruit
                    D David Makowski (Green Bay, USHL) USHL Defenseman of the Year
                    F Nick Shore (U.S. Under-18) Great playmaker, potential 2011 1st rounder
                    F Beau Bennett (Penticton, BCHL) Natural goalscorer, probably 2nd rounder
                    F Dan Olszewski (St. Louis, NAHL) Grinder, recruited walk-on
                    F Jarrod Mermis (Lincoln, USHL) Overachiever, recruited walk-on
                    G Sam Brittain (Canmore, AJHL) One of the Top 2 NCAA bound goaltenders

2011 Recruiting Class
                    D Scott Mayfield (Youngstown, USHL) - Likely 2011 1st Rounder
                    F Zac Larraza (U.S. Under-17) - Big power forward
                    F Garrett Allen (Fargo, USHL) - Fast skating goal scorer
                    D Matt Van Voorhis (U.S. Under-17) - Very skilled, but small defenseman
                    D Daniel Doremus (Colorado Thunderbirds, AAA) - DU very high on this guy

2012 Recruiting Class
                    F Tyler Pham (Team Illinios) - Very skilled forward
                    D Dakota Mermis (St. Louis Jr. Blues, AAA) - Potential Top 15 NHL 2012 1st rounder
                    Last edited by dggoddard; 04-15-2010, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagman View Post
                      Thanks for the links. What's your scouting report/opinion on Makowski?

He's obviously a very skilled offensive defenseman. Among USHL Dmen, he was second in scoring, 1st in goals, 1st in pp goals, 1st in sh goals. A solid shot from the point, a la Kyle Klubertanz at Wisconsin a few years ago. He generally handles the puck well.

That said, he can frustrating at times. He had 84 PIM in 60 games, so it wasn't as bad as this - but just watching it seemed like every game he would get one dumb penalty.

He was +22, so relatively effective that way. He's not a huge physical presence on the ice - he's not a banger. But he's usually not out of position.

Maybe it's an attention to detail that I find frustrating - an errant pass out of the zone, the ill-timed penalty, letting the puck out of the zone. He can be very good, but at times he does things you just wouldn't expect from best defenseman in the league. If he cleans those things up, he could be very good.
                      St. Norbert College Green Knights
                      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                      ---
                      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Thanks for that!

Comment

DU woman's golfer Kimberly Kim chosen to represent the USA in this summer's Curtis Cup matches. Major honor and the only repeat Cup member.

Comment

OK, after seeing the list of next year's recruits that DG posted, thank you for that DG, I am ready to look ahead. Of course this list looks about as good as any Freshman class we've ever had coming in, but I bet if you look at the recruits for any Div. 1 team they will look that good. (I am surprised at all of those 1st and 2nd rounders though ). We did lose a sigificant group of studs though, ****... Nevermind, I'm looking ahead. So who do you guys think will be Captain?, assistant Captains? I'll get the ball rolling.

Captain- John Ryder commands respect, we had a forward last year (unbelievably that didn't work out ). Good guy and who would ever mess with him!!

Assistant #1- Jesse Martin. Great guy, awesome player, keeps things light around thew locker room
                            Assistant #2- Chris Nutini. Bid tough guy, solid citizen, reliable.

I didn't choose Ostrow or Maiami, but there is no reason for that. They could be great too!!

What say you?
                            Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                              DU guys in the AHL playoffs:

Gabe Gauthier & Patrick Mullen - Manchester Monarchs vs. Portland Pirates
                              Rhett Rakhshani - Bridgeport Sound Tigers vs. Hershey Bears
                              Peter Mannino & Kevin Doell - Chicago Wolves vs. Milwaukee Admirals
                              Brock Trotter - Hamilton Bulldogs vs. Manitoba Moose

Also, Berkhoel played 7 games for WBS this year, they play Albany. Not sure if he'll be called up from Wheeling, or if they'll stick with Curry/Theissen.

If you're bored, check out the Norwich 09/10 highlight video. Beware, it's 13+ min long.

r
                              Rhett was on the 2nd line last night in Bridgeport's loss.
                              Kevin Doell had the game winning goal for Chicago. Mannino made 23 saves on 28 shots.
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

OK, after seeing the list of next year's recruits that DG posted, thank you for that DG, I am ready to look ahead. Of course this list looks about as good as any Freshman class we've ever had coming in, but I bet if you look at the recruits for any Div. 1 team they will look that good. (I am surprised at all of those 1st and 2nd rounders though ). We did lose a sigificant group of studs though, ****... Nevermind, I'm looking ahead. So who do you guys think will be Captain?, assistant Captains? I'll get the ball rolling.

Captain- John Ryder commands respect, we had a forward last year (unbelievably that didn't work out ). Good guy and who would ever mess with him!!

Assistant #1- Jesse Martin. Great guy, awesome player, keeps things light around thew locker room
                                Assistant #2- Chris Nutini. Bid tough guy, solid citizen, reliable.

I didn't choose Ostrow or Maiami, but there is no reason for that. They could be great too!!

What say you?
                                You know, we reallly screwed the pooch by not starting a "stop b****ing about the end of the 2009-2010 season and start looking forward to the 2010-2011 season clock." This post would probably stop the clock. Collectively we're DU junkies, no hope, no cure, no rehab, with Jay Stickey's cliches rolling around in our heads. Perhaps we could organize a telethon.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 04-15-2010, 05:31 PM.
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X