Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
    Happy Birthday du78! But herein lies the mystery. At 57, you would have graduated 1974! Plus I've noticed you always know about the players in the early 70s. I graduated in '79 and know nothing about those guys. So my question is, what's up with the 78? Grad school?, Law, Med?

signed, dmann79

Then again, maybe this is classified information.
    Nothing classified, I was originally Class of '75, took some time off after my sophomore year and worked, returned to school and graduated in '78. So I started watching DU hockey in the Fall of 1971. Unlike most DU students I didn't come from a wealthy family and paying tuition was a burden. Luckily I scored a scholie my last 2 years.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by du78 View Post
      Thanks for the wishes, may the force of 57 haunt CC forever!!!!!

Pettinger played in Vancouver's last 2 games of the season after not playing in the NHL since November. Not sure if he is eligible for the playoff roster.
      And may the force be with you too.
      Hope you had a happy birthday!
      GO DU !!!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Nothing classified, I was originally Class of '75, took some time off after my sophomore year and worked, returned to school and graduated in '78. So I started watching DU hockey in the Fall of 1971. Unlike most DU students I didn't come from a wealthy family and paying tuition was a burden. Luckily I scored a scholie my last 2 years.
        Thanks, I never could quite figure that out!! So we were on campus at the same time! Probably ran into each other at the games. I used to hang out at Fagan's a lot and then The Border when that opened up under Greek management!! Frequently I would be seen throwing a frisbee in front of the GCB, looking cool!

I remember meeting DG at the Maine game in Orono and as soon as I saw him, I recognized him from the 80s as a Bleacher Creature!! So yeah, I'm sure we crossed paths!!
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

Thanks, I never could quite figure that out!! So we were on campus at the same time! Probably ran into each other at the games. I used to hang out at Fagan's a lot and then The Border when that opened up under Greek management!! Frequently I would be seen throwing a frisbee in front of the GCB, looking cool!

I remember meeting DG at the Maine game in Orono and as soon as I saw him, I recognized him from the 80s as a Bleacher Creature!! So yeah, I'm sure we crossed paths!!
          Fagan's had some good food. We used to hang at the Silver Spruce which was next to Fagan's when it was small. The Spruce then moved to where the Border is now when Fagan's expanded. When the Silver Spruce finally shut, we went up to the Retreat at Colorado and Evans. Used to go to The Campus quite a bit too. I was at every game.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Still can't rep you, A Shot and a Goal. I don't like enough posters apparently. Either that or I don't hate enough...

Hopefully you are out of a state of shock. Only 2 of my FF picks even made it to Detroit...and they both laid rotten eggs.

ND has cleaned house a little. The seniors will be graduated in a month (thankfully) and a few left early for the pros (unthankfully). I think Coach Jackson will be in skull-cracking mode come September if there is a repeat of last summer's team commitment. I saw you lost a couple biggies, too. Here's to renewed possibilities.

Also, here's to good rounds in the NHL playoffs. I'm rooting for a Blackhawks-Caps final.
            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

.. and then The Border when that opened up under Greek management!!
              I am pretty sure 'Johnny' is probably living on some yacht in Monte Carlo with all the money I (we?) spent in that place in the 80s. What a goldmine that place was...

Comment

====>4/13/2010 1:02 PM ET By Christopher Botta

Christopher Botta
                Chris Botta is a Senior NHL Writer for FanHouse
                As proud members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, NHL FanHouse's Christopher Botta and A.J. Perez hold votes on several of the league's top awards. Today, we present their ballots for the Hart Trophy, given "to the player adjudged to be most valuable to his team." Writers are asked to pick five nominees in order of most deserving.

Chris Botta

1. Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals: You'll hear plenty of stats analysis and conjecture about how the Caps would still be a very good team without Ovechkin and, to my mind, a lot of other hooey. Ovechkin is the best and most valuable player on the team with the best record, and is the best and most valuable player in the league.

2. Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks: A few weeks ago, I was asked by a pollster on my vote between Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby -- as if there was no other choice. With his magnificent season, Henrik belongs in the conversation. It may have taken a while, but the Sedins turned out even better than their biggest advocates thought possible.

3. Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins: I saw the Penguins in person in 10 games this year. Crosby was the best player on the ice for both teams in every one. He was pretty good in the other 71 he played, too.
                4. Patrick Marleau, San Jose Sharks: Led all forwards on the Western Conference champions in time on ice (21:13) and goals (44) -- including six game-winners and four shorthanded.

5. Paul Stastny, Colorado Avalanche: Led his team in scoring and played in every important situation as his 21:24 average icetime illustrates. Goalie Craig Anderson got most of the press, but anyone watching on a daily basis knows Stastny was the heart and soul at the center of the surprising Avalanche
                .<====
                sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Fagan's had some good food. We used to hang at the Silver Spruce which was next to Fagan's when it was small. The Spruce then moved to where the Border is now when Fagan's expanded. When the Silver Spruce finally shut, we went up to the Retreat at Colorado and Evans. Used to go to The Campus quite a bit too. I was at every game.
                  Back in the olden days, the Spruce was THE place to run into thirsty DU hockey players. Apart from the fact that nobody in there would ever card them, was the fact that the boys always seemed to have phony Canadian drivers licenses and no draft cards. The gals in the Spruce weren't exactly up to date on what a PEI license was supposed to look like, and in those days no photos on the ID's. Perfect.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                    Back in the olden days, the Spruce was THE place to run into thirsty DU hockey players. Apart from the fact that nobody in there would ever card them, was the fact that the boys always seemed to have phony Canadian drivers licenses and no draft cards. The gals in the Spruce weren't exactly up to date on what a PEI license was supposed to look like, and in those days no photos on the ID's. Perfect.
                    No need for fake iDs.

All our players were already 25 when they got to DU.

Comment

I'm sure I remember that goal. The way I recall it, he went coast to coast skating through and around everyone for the awesome move on the goaltender. It wasn't against CC, but I was with 2 CC grads who couldn't help but cheer. He was so much fun to watch!!
                      We may be talking about two different highlight goals here. I was unclear in my narrative--a two line pass from the defensive zone found him at the far blue line at full stride. He was on the opposing goalie like a mustard stain on a white suit. The one you describe may be an even bigger highlight. They practice that long pass all the time and it rarely works the way this one did. Right on his stick and no slowing down. Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                        No need for fake iDs.

I forgotted.

Comment

No need for fake iDs.

I believe Happy will verify that

Old Pio, remember Marsh, the guy that ran the Spruce. Wouldn't surprise me if he is in the Witness Protection Program these days if he is still around.

Comment

I believe Happy will verify that

Old Pio, remember Marsh, the guy that ran the Spruce. Wouldn't surprise me if he is in the Witness Protection Program these days if he is still around.
                            Either that or Super-Max. I transferred to DU and recall my one and only visit to a 3.2 place. I'd never heard of the concept and went along with some other guys to La Pichet (clever, no?). Anyway, they treated customers like they were new arrivals getting off the train at Buchenwald. One visit was enough for me. Stick your pitcher, baby.

Comment

I am pretty sure 'Johnny' is probably living on some yacht in Monte Carlo with all the money I (we?) spent in that place in the 80s. What a goldmine that place was...
                              I loved the way he worked the crowd, always making everyone feel like a VIP at the Border Do you remember his brother, I can't recall his name, but apparently, he got into a scuffle with a drunk patron and did a "Mike Tyson" on him, bit off a part of his ear Ah the memories, we really knew how to pick the classy joints eh?
                              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

Denver recruit David Makowski given USHL defensive player of the year award:

http://www.ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=3185
                                St. Norbert College Green Knights
                                NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                                NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                                NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                                ---
                                SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X