Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Goddard: Great meeting you and the 10 other DU fans who made it to Albany. How pathetic was our attendance.
    Anyway you are one terrific DU supporter and a great fan of college hockey in genral. (man enough to applaud R.I.T.'s effort after all was said and done)
    The DU, Coach, and Goddard bashing on your Blog is so out of line. You got lots of TV time Goddard and my female friends thought you were hot.

see ya down the road a piece,

peace, Dunker

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
      Goddard: Great meeting you and the 10 other DU fans who made it to Albany. How pathetic was our attendance.
      Anyway you are one terrific DU supporter and a great fan of college hockey in genral. (man enough to applaud R.I.T.'s effort after all was said and done)
      The DU, Coach, and Goddard bashing on your Blog is so out of line. You got lots of TV time Goddard and my female friends thought you were hot.

see ya down the road a piece,

peace, Dunker
      Goddard bashing is OK.

Fun meeting you too. Still had a great weekend, but it would of been epic if DU had won.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        Wiercioch hasn't made up his mind yet.

Ottawa Citizen has jumped the gun.
        Sens have recalled Dman Brian Lee from the AHL.

Is this the same quote as the Ottawa Citizen?
        "Blue-chip defence prospect Patrick Wiercioch (second round, 42nd overall, 2008) could sign by day's end, Murray said, and would likely come to Ottawa. Wiercioch's Denver Pioneers were eliminated by Butler's Wildcats in the NCAA East Regional semifinals.

The Senators also intend to bring defenceman Jared Cowen, their top pick (ninth overall) in the 2009 draft, to Ottawa as soon as his junior season ends. Cowen's Spokane Chiefs are trailing the Portland Winter Hawks heading into Game 6 of their Western Hockey League first-round playoff series tonight.

"The whole idea of bringing these guys up is to let them be around the players come playoff time, see the pressure that they face and the development they need," said Murray. "It's a springboard for the summer. They'll know how hard our guys have worked and the commitment they've made."
        http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=523143
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          Sens have recalled Dman Brian Lee from the AHL.

Is this the same quote as the Ottawa Citizen?
          "Blue-chip defence prospect Patrick Wiercioch (second round, 42nd overall, 2008) could sign by day's end, Murray said, and would likely come to Ottawa. Wiercioch's Denver Pioneers were eliminated by Butler's Wildcats in the NCAA East Regional semifinals.

The Senators also intend to bring defenceman Jared Cowen, their top pick (ninth overall) in the 2009 draft, to Ottawa as soon as his junior season ends. Cowen's Spokane Chiefs are trailing the Portland Winter Hawks heading into Game 6 of their Western Hockey League first-round playoff series tonight.

"The whole idea of bringing these guys up is to let them be around the players come playoff time, see the pressure that they face and the development they need," said Murray. "It's a springboard for the summer. They'll know how hard our guys have worked and the commitment they've made."
          http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=523143
          Same quote, from everything I can find Patrick has not yet signed but its sounds like he will.

Edit: Colborne has not yet signed and neither has Wiercioch.
          http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14779655
          Last edited by du78; 03-29-2010, 08:22 PM.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
            Didn't see anything on Bruins' website or Boston.com about Jumbo.
            Chevy may wait until this summer when the Wheeler rule kicks in if he doesn't want to go with Florida.
            What's the "Wheeler rule?"

Listen, I know the dream of all these players is to play in the NHL, but what happened to Colborne and his dad wanting stay all four years and get a business degree? What about all of their teammates?, the guys they mentor? And how do they knock on Gwoz's door plus all the other coaches and trainers that were so critical to their development to say good bye? Lastly, what about the fans? Do they know how much we revere them despite the mellow vibe at Magness? Can you imagine a time when, no matter how good a player was, they stuck around all four years and nobody ever questioned it? Must have been nice... sorry Swami, DG, du78 and all the other loyal fans, I'm just ****ed off, again...
            "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
            Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Dmann View Post

Listen, I know the dream of all these players is to play in the NHL, but what happened to Colborne and his dad wanting stay all four years and get a business degree? What about all of their teammates?, the guys they mentor? And how do they knock on Gwoz's door plus all the other coaches and trainers that were so critical to their development to say good bye? Lastly, what about the fans? Do they know how much we revere them despite the mellow vibe at Magness? Can you imagine a time when, no matter how good a player was, they stuck around all four years and nobody ever questioned it? Must have been nice... sorry Swami, DG, du78 and all the other loyal fans, I'm just ****ed off, again...
              Wheeler rule is that a team has 4 years to sign a college player after being drafted. If they haven't signed you by August 15th after the 4th year of your draft you become a UFA. Chevy was drafted by Florida in the 7th round of the 2006 draft before he came to DU. He played in the BCHL for one year after being drafted and then 3 at DU. Florida has the exclusive rights to Chevy until August 15, 2010.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Used by Blake Wheeler so he wouldn't have to go to Phoenix--4 years after drafted if not signed can become a free agent. Think August 15 is the deadline.

Better the player; higher the draft pick; better the performance at DU; higher the probability of leaving early.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

The NHL Collective Bargaining agreement signed between the players & owners allowed for a loophole. College hockey fans call it the "Wheeler Rule" because Minnesota's Blake Wheeler used the tactic to escape playing for a crappy Phoenix team and went to Boston.

Any player that was drafted and played at least a year of junior hockey before coming to college, is eligible to exercise his right to become Unlimited Free Agent after four years of being Drafted.
                  Chevy officially will a free agent in early June and he will began to field bids from around the league.

The only players that have ever stuck around college hockey were the ones that weren't good enough to play in the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                    Same quote, from everything I can find Patrick has not yet signed but its sounds like he will. Colborne has signed form all our sources but Boston hasn't announced it yet.
                    Clearly Patrick and his family have gone up to Ottawa to find out the chances of playing in the NHL next season. Ottawa felt he had come up there to sign a pro contract.

Its very possible that Ottawa can't make the promises that the Wiercioch's are looking for and he'll return to DU. The longer this drags on, the better shot DU has of Patrick returning.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      I understand the reality of players leaving early, that doesn't mean I have to like it. And I don't. Good luck to Patrick and Joe, thanks for your efforts. Although frankly I'm getting a little tired of hearing about Patrick's knee "injury," know what I mean?
                      I agree. No way someone can be considered a great DU player if they leave after 1 or 2 years.
                      Searching: Let's say a knowledgable NHL fan watched DU play Friday afternoon for the first time. After the game, this fan is told that 13 DU players had been drafted by NHL teams. I think the fan would be stunned and hard pressed to pick out the future NHL'ers. Some of our players are not going to make a ton of dough in the Pros. A DU degree would do them a lot of good. Stay in school!!

Comment

Colborne could have played three more years for Camrose. I don't recall anyone here complaining about him walking out on them.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                          Although frankly I'm getting a little tired of hearing about Patrick's knee "injury," know what I mean?

Comment

Right on Dmann. But the fact of the matter is that many players are hired guns, athletic whores if you will. You may love them, but they only love you until a better deal comes along. A scholarship and a free degree look great until a pro scout dangles a six or seven digit check. Can't blame them, that's the way the game is played. I guarantee you that Gwoz recruits by highlighting DU's success as a pipeline to the NHL.
                            That said, the sad part is that for every Matt Carle or Paul Stastny who bolts early to NHL glory, there are probably 100 guys who left early to chase their dream only to find themselves on a night bus to Wilkes-Barre or Peoria, banking their meal money and wondering how long they can live off their signing bonus...and what they are going to do in the 'real world' without a degree. For these kids, their time at DU will have been the highlight of their careers, if not their lives...and they will go to their graves wondering why they cut it short.
                            Soon to be lurking for two decades !

Comment

Chambers has updated his story in the Denver Post and Gwoz has been quoted as saying neither player has signed. The players and their families are in discussions about their futures regarding the respective teams. Gwoz spoke with both players today.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14779655
                              Last edited by du78; 03-29-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Not only can I imgaine players staying for all four years, there was a time when that was the way it was. The NHL used to look down their collective noses at the college game--freezing the puck all the time, no checking in the offensive zone, etc. Then a big raw boned red head named Magnuson completed his education at DU and went to the Blackhawks. The result, as they say is history, Maggie on the cover of SI and the Hawks from last to first. Ironically, Maggie's success helped to open the door for players to go pro early. The very next year the St. Louis Blues (GM Lynne Patrick, father of DU's Craig) signed George Morrison after his junior year. In just two seasons of eligibility, all Morrison did was to win back to back WCHA scoring titles and score 70 goals! Morrison became the first DU guy to leave early.

The rules and circumstances have changed radically since those days, of course. If he were playing today there's no question the NHL would come gunning for a guy like Jim Wiste, and he probably wouldn't stick around for four years. I hate guys leaving early and hope there's some solution down the road that will stem the tide. On the other hand, most of us will never have the experience of some guy dumping a gunny sack full of $100bills on our kitchen table in return for a signature. Tough to say no, especially since the NHL is the life long ambition for these guys and they all think they're gonna make it.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 03-30-2010, 12:44 AM.
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X