Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    A portion of the Merriam-Webster definition:

Main Entry: con·so·la·tion
    Function: noun
    1 : the act or an instance of consoling : the state of being consoled : comfort
    2 : something that consoles; specifically : a contest held for those who have lost early in a tournament

Consolation games suck. That is all.
    DU needs to run with this. They didn't beat UW this year and now they have a chance. And I think they want to show that they can come out with some effort...

Comment

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      DU needs to run with this. They didn't beat UW this year and now they have a chance. And I think they want to show that they can come out with some effort...
      A W gets you RIT or Sacred Heart. That would get me fired up.
      Go Pioneers!

Comment

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Was very nervous, desevedly so, beating NoDak 5 times in a row. A very hard task. The boys made a game of it at the end, but the sioux played better for most of the game.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about tomorrow's game because we will still be a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. But a win would be better!

(Would hate to be UMD at this point.)
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Agreed. Gotta give Bucky a thrashing.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

UW can earn a number one seed with a W so this game matters more for them.
            I think based on the Pios patterns this year, they'll come out hungry for this one. I think the overall number one gets RIT or SH and the #2 gets UAH. Moving to number two will most likely affect location also. I think Bucky and Sioux could end up back at the X depending upon what happens tomorrow.
            Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by PioneerPhanatic View Post
              You slightly misquoted my cheer Todd but I'll let you slide this time.
              Yeah, I suck. Noticed that myself. But, I always hate putting but in the mix.
              DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
              sigpic
              WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                If I ever hear those announcers again I'm going to kill myself!!! Woog was incomprehesable the whole night and the other clown was so unbelievably biased it was disgusting . I can see if it had been against Minny, but UND ****!!!!! I think I'm more ****ed off about them than I am about the game
                Already been through that this month. Please don't even joke about that crap.
                sigpic
                WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Comment

Originally posted by Jori_DSF View Post
                  Maiani out tomorrow according to Gwoz via Kevin Allenspach Twitter:

http://***********/KevinAllenspach
                  Gwoz also said he is questionable for next week as well.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

After a bit of time to cogitate on the game tonight, I'm a bit worried about this team. Too often, this team has played down to the competition (certainly nothing against the strong Sioux team tonight). But, our team has rarely, if every, put in a complete 60 minute game. I think we've all seen stretches of what this team could be, but never a game where it has been displayed in its entirety. One would think by now we would have seen this.

I am still a bit miffed about last weekend playing Tech where Gwoz pretty much shut down the top line and rolled lines 3 and 4 for significant minutes. I do not think that one can do that to top line. There's no on/off switch in hockey at any level.

I just hope the boys play well tomorrow in the banana game (which just so happens to be #1 vs. #3 in the nation). The tone for the rest of the season begins tomorrow. A crap effort will translate into a crap ending. A good effort will give me hope. The boys have done way too much to go into the tournament that matters to lay another turd on the ice.

We shall see. Go DU and play well boys!
                    sigpic

Comment

Random, incoherent musings...

What we saw from DU tonight was consistent with the way they've played all year long - well short of a 60 minute effort. DU has won 27 games because they have the best goalie in the country when he's on. Tonight, UND hung 4 on Chevy, and when that happens, DU is in trouble since they rarely score more than 3. UND was the better team tonight for 75% of the game, and DU was only really effective in the third when UND got a little tired and DU woke up and played desperate hockey.

The one thing DU has been all season is resilient. They haven't lost twice in a row all season, and they always follow a loss or poor effort with a better one. Tomorrow against UW wlll be a character check for this team. It should be a serious clue as to how this club handles postseason adversity.

DU is a much better team when DU's top line scores goals and sets the pace of the game. Tonight - Ruegsegger had no shots on goal. Colborne, no shots on goal, although he did hit a post. Minus 1. Rakhshani, 3 shots and a minus 1. Your big guns need to play like big guns and tonight, they didn't.

What I mostly want see tomorrow is a better work ethic. This team is moving into the phase of the playoffs where you get the opponents' best effort. I'd like to see DU opponent's try to absorb a DU team that gives it all.

Comment

Random, incoherent musings...

What we saw from DU tonight was consistent with the way they've played all year long - well short of a 60 minute effort. DU has won 27 games because they have the best goalie in the country when he's on. Tonight, UND hung 4 on Chevy, and when that happens, DU is in trouble since they rarely score more than 3. UND was the better team tonight for 75% of the game, and DU was only really effective in the third when UND got a little tired and DU woke up and played desperate hockey.

The one thing DU has been all season is resilient. They haven't lost twice in a row all season, and they always follow a loss or poor effort with a better one. Tomorrow against UW wlll be a character check for this team. It should be a serious clue as to how this club handles postseason adversity.

DU is a much better team when DU's top line scores goals and sets the pace of the game. Tonight - Ruegsegger had no shots on goal. Colborne, no shots on goal, although he did hit a post. Minus 1. Rakhshani, 3 shots and a minus 1. Your big guns need to play like big guns and tonight, they didn't.

What I mostly want see tomorrow is a better work ethic. This team is moving into the phase of the playoffs where you get the opponents' best effort. I'd like to see DU opponent's try to absorb a DU team that gives it all.
                        Yep, Swami, your incoherent musings match my disjointed diatribe. Yet, we seem to agree on several points. Tomorrow's game is certainly the "banana heat" of the tournament, but the game should mean a lot to the Pioneers. Tomorrow needs to set the tone for the rest of this season. It needs to lay the foundation for the rest of this season. Crap the bed tomorrow and I won't see this team in Detroilet.

A solid effort tomorrow, regardless of the ultimate outcome, will certainly tell me volumes about this team. Admittedly, my expectations for them have been dashed a bit, but realistically I already knew that. The '05 team was absolutely dominate, the '04 team a bit lucky. This team needs some of the latter to win the ultimate prize.

Of course, if this team wants to play up to their potential for four games starting in a couple of weeks, we will be very happy. They CAN do it, but whether or not the WILL do that is another story.

Regardless, Let's Go DU. Rock it from here on out boys. I'll still be in Detroit. Make me the happiest fan on the planet!
                        sigpic

Comment

Even though today's game is the consolation game, it does have some significant PWR ramifications. If DU wins they wrap up the overall #1 seed in the tourney. They control their destiny. If Wisconsin loses they could possibly fall from being a #1 seed to a #2 seed.

DU hasn't lost back-to-back games all year and I expect a win this afternoon.

Go DU!!!!!
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                            Even though today's game is the consolation game, it does have some significant PWR ramifications. If DU wins they wrap up the overall #1 seed in the tourney. They control their destiny. If Wisconsin loses they could possibly fall from being a #1 seed to a #2 seed.

Go DU!!!!!
                            So is it possible that DU wins and ends up with a WCHA team as the no 2 in their bracket? And what if Wisconsin wins, will DU hold on to a number 1? I see this game as a toss-up right now.It's almost a home game for the Badgers after all.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post

Go DU!!!!!
                              Wisconsin hasn't lost back too back games this season either, so Gwoz and Eaves manufacturing a tie for old times sake is a possibility.

The Pairwise ramifications are not that serious for DU today. No matter what goes down between DU & Wisconsin and in the other conference finals, DU and Miami are going to be in incredibly "soft" Regionals.

The #7-10 teams in the Pairwise should be Bemidji, Yale, Cornell & Northen Michigan.

Miami & DU are are guaranteed to be playing either Alabama-Huntsville, Sacred Heart or Rochester Institute of Technology in their first games.

Meanwhile Sconnie, BC, SCSU &UND will be slugging it out with each other & some other bigtime programs.

Comment

DU will be seeded 1 or 2 no matter what happens today. That's the good news.

On the other hand,
                                DU is down 2 Dmen-Nutini and Wrenn. Now add the loss of Maiani.
                                The top line was practically invisible last night.
                                Who joins Ostrow and Martin?
                                Who steps up on the power play?
                                What's with only playing inspired, gritty hockey for 1 period?
                                Chevy didn't have his best night, but for the most part kept us in the game.
                                Wisconsin has more to gain with a W than DU.

Donovan, Dewhurst and the last two lines carried the play for most of the game.

What DU team shows up today? And at the regionals.
                                Confused and Concerned.
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X