Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

I am still a bit in shock, however this improvised bit of logic strikes me:

coll-ege hock-ey is like a box of cho-co-lates:
    You ne-ver know whaaat to ex-pect....
    {that's the best Gump drawl I can type... }

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      So I'm left wanting Wisconsin to win the NC. In psychology that's known as an approach/avoidance conflict. Meh.
      I am avoiding the approaching conflict, correct?
      GO DU !!!

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
        I am avoiding the approaching conflict, correct?
        Yup.

And on this question of focusing on "the big picture" as opposed to winning the MacNaughton, how would Gwoz go about doing that? We take the games as they are scheduled. And presumably we try to win them all. And we're aware as the season unfolds about the implications for the PWR. Are we talking about benching stars? Or suggesting that certain opponants aren't worth a maximum effort? What I'm suggesting is it's easy to CLAIM we're emphasizing the MacNaughton at the expense of the post season. But what, specifically, should we do or stop doing to make us a better playoff team? I'll admit I'm stumped.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

With North Dakota bowing to Yale, and RIT ripping UNH, DU fans should be feeling a little better about yesterday's perfomance and for how tight NCAA hockey can be in a 1 game single elimination format.

To win single elimination NCAA game, you need a few good things to happen:

1) Score first and early. It changes everything when you force your opponent to open up.

2) Your goalie usually needs to be great. Chevy was good, but not great.

3) You need your seniors to produce. Ours didn't produce enough. They are the tone-setters, too.

4) You need to do the little things -puck battles, faceoffs, shot blocking, finishing checks and moving your feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            With North Dakota bowing to Yale, and RIT ripping UNH, DU fans should be feeling a little better about yesterday's perfomance and for how tight NCAA hockey can be in a 1 game single elimination format.
            Let me check.....hmmm.....nope, not feeling any better.
            Soon to be lurking for two decades !

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post

I am feeling a little better because of this, yes!
              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
              Tom Serratore

Comment

Here's what I want:

Today:
                Miami to beat Michigan
                Yale to beat BC

Frozen Four:
                Wisconsin to beat RIT
                Miami to beat Yale
                Assuming all this happens I will make the fearless prediction that a team with red on their Jerseys will win the National Championship.

(otherwise I would have to cheer for RIT)
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Came out slow, flat footed, injuries, didn't play a full 60 minutes, out in the regionals again.

That's what sioux fans are saying!

We are not alone.
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                    Which team had a better year? DU or UND? They both won a little hardware but I would say DU did because the regular season trophy is difficult to win.
                    Agreed. MacNaughton >>>>>>> Broadmoor.

They are both nice trophies to win, but we only raise banners for MacNaughton's and National Titles. There is a reason for that
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Been an excellent tourney so far. I'm on my way back from Albany sitting in a bar in the KC airport. I was one of the very few that made the trip from Denver. I have to say I was more shocked by RIT's second win. The way UNH rolled Cornell Friday night, I expected them to to do the same to RIT last night.

The psychology of one and done hockey on neutral ice with refs from a different conference at the end of a long, long season is fascinating to say the least.

I could sit here and moan about what DU didn't do but having watched RIT win again last night against a more talented team once again minus the emotional attachment for me, I saw that it was much more about them and what they did versus being about what DU didn't do.

It was an earth shattering weekend for the Rochester program. It's positive for all of the college hockey world. The fact that a program in it's fifth year of D-1 can make it to the FF is amazing. Those kids were loose as can be and they stuck to their coaches game plans to the letter. They did it for 120 minutes and they worked their tales off.

Forget about the self serving poor me crap---give this young program credit and move on. I'm sure that the DU kids will learn a lot from the experience. Right now, I'm sure it hurts too much to see the lesson--but clarity will come. Talent is good but hard work, guts and determination can trump talent when it lacks those vital ingredients. RIT is living proof, irregardless of what happens on Thursday April 8th.

One other point, RIT has the most amazing student section I've ever seen. They are organized and syncopated. Smart kids showing phenomenal school spirit and having a blast while they do it. DU's smart kids should study them--the school and the program would benefit.
                      Go Pioneers!

Comment

Much appreciated, MagnessMan. Denver has nothing to be ashamed of. For those of us in the less well-known parts of college hockey, just making the national tournament is a great achievement, and teams that do that regularly sometimes seem to forget that.

We're all super proud of the Tigers right now, and it's been gratifying for us to get some national recognition. I don't think anyone here in Rochester was thinking Frozen Four five months ago, but here we are.

I think RIT will learn a lot from playing Denver and learning what it takes to beat one of the best teams in college hockey.

Powers &8^]

Comment

BC 6 Yale 3 with 2:32 left in 2nd period. Looks like BC will be joining RIT and Wisconsin in the Frozen Four. Of all the teams that DU faced this year I thought Wisconsin was the best. Wait a minute Yale just scored to make it 6-4 BC with just under 2 minutes left in 2nd. Should be a wild 3rd period.
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Made it back from Albany yesterday. 300 mile drive to Buffalo and 5 AM departure connecting through Charlotte isn't the easiest trip, but you sure sleep well on the plane.

Warmups:

Chambers told me DU looked "tight." RIT was loosey-goosey. RIT was small, had to be the smallest team DU faced all season. I had a few cocktails pre-game, I was loosey-goosey. As it turns out Gwoz should have pregamed with the team at the bar across the road from the arena.

Game:

DU fan turnout was pathetic. Friday afternoon didn't help. No one clapped, cheered or did anything. It was like being in Magness, except less people.

Giving up such a quick goal was fatal. DU spent a much the of time skating around in cute little circles and the shooting the puck at DiMichael's belly. Then RIT would counterattack in wild flurries and get off some decent shots.

Luckily the Times-Union Center allowed fans to get wrist bands and leave the arena to get drinks across the road between periods. Drinking helped make DU's poor play bearable.

Colborne turned away from checks time after time and didn't assert himself physically. He wasn't alone. Ryder & Glasser appeared to be the only players doing the dirty work.

Post Game:

UNH looked awesome. Cornell fans complained that the week off was a huge advantage for the Wildcats. UNH looked like a serious championship contender.

Dinner at Lombardo's was the best Italian dinner I've ever had. The DU team ate there on Wednesday. RIT ate there on Thursday and again after kicking DU's azz. Obviously they know a good thing when they see it.

Conclusion:

Albany is a fun town. Locals are great. Great place for a regional except for high cost and difficulty of DU fans getting there. Eat at Lombardo's every meal and the trip pays for itself. I only ate there once. Big mistake.
                            Last edited by dggoddard; 03-29-2010, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Congratulations on the MacNaughton Cup, guys. It is a hell of an accomplishment and I, for one, don't believe that winning the league comes at the expense of winning in the post season. I wish Wisconsin could win the Cup once and awhile. Congrats again.

Comment

Miami v Michigan was the best game of the weekend that i saw. Congrats to Rico and the Redhawks!

Animal Kingdom at the Frozen Four--Red Hawks, Eagles, Tigers and Badgers.
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X