Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

What a lousy day!! I'm trying to watch the Alaska/BC game right now but it's tough. So many "what ifs" We definitely got bit by the injury bug at the worse possible time and in the last few games I think we had some terrible puck luck. Like I said last night, early in the game against UND, Ostrow hit the post!! I believe if that had been a goal we would have skated with confidence throughout the rest of the game and carried that momentum into the NCAAs. Obviously it is futile to continue this train of thought. I don't have all the stats in mind, but I know since 2005, we have had a terrible time in the post season. This one hurts more than the others for me just because of the expectations we all had at the beginning of the season. I know people are going to be questioning Gwoz, just like they did last year. You should hear how the fans get on Whithead here. Talk about futile!! Both are great coaches and need to stay for as long as possible. So now we go through the waiting game of who signs the big contracts and leave early. That was a great senior class, we'll miss 'em. Colborne and Weircoch are probably gone, maybe Chevie, but have you seen the class coming in? Holy reload Batman!!! We've got lots to look forward to. Thanks for listening!!
    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
    Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

Ask players and coaches about the effects of lost players during the season and they'll say it's part of hockey, it can't be an excuse and is something that needs to be overcome. They are right of course, but what other option is there for them to say?

For Denver fans looking for answers to second-half declines for the Pioneers in recent years, there is there is cerainly a second-half correlation which hurts DU's ability peak at the right time.

Two year ago, losing Brock Trotter destroyed the teams' second half peak, and basically killed offf a great season.

Last year, losing Tyler Bozak threw off the second half peak and DU never really recovered, either.

This year. losing both Nutini and Maiani were huge blows for the Pioneers.

Now, a special effort could overcome the loss of players, but in Denver's case, Bozak and Trotter were the offensive keys to success. Nuntini was the best stay at home D-man on the Pioneers, and Maiani was key to DU's second line and one of the two hottest player on the team when he got hurt. Those players are harder to replace than a third line grinder or a sixth d-man.

Every team has some roster issues. The Pioneers though, always seem to have them in the second half, when consequences are more devastating....

These losses, when paired with sporadic effort level, doomed the Pioneerstthis year.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy!

I was pretty bummed yesterday. But as ScottA says below, the sun is shining, and the hockey hangover is receding. Time to look back with pride at the WCHA championship. That is nothing to sneeze at.

I don't care too much about what happens the rest of the tourney. I would prefer that North Dakota didn't win it all, so that DU doesn't fall behind in the NCAA title race. But aside from that, may the best team win. Maybe the Badgers would be a good team to root for.

Gwoz has obviously got some issues with his post-season approach. It's time for him to re-examine what he's doing, and make some adjustments. Three early exits in a row as a high seed is not right, and he needs to fix it. That's why he gets the big bucks. Don't get me wrong...he's still pretty much the man. But he's somewhat less of "the man" at this point, and his line of credit for the back to back titles is starting to run out.

The talented players have been great to have around. But our three-peat of crap-outs on the national stage have left me nostalgic for the players on the 04 and 05 teams who knew who to win when it mattered. Caldwell & Fulghum immediatly come to mind.

Much credit to the seniors for their great efforts. We'll be depleted next year, but maybe that will help our chances on the national stage. We don't seem to do well as a favorite, so let's try our luck as an underdog.

Sigh...

Comment

You're all right. And I can't really add anything. It was a great season, with extraordinary accomplishments, that ended far too soon. My favorite statistic? DU 8 WCHA Scholar Athletes--Minnesota 0.

Injuries? Why do they seem to affect us so dramatically? I understand the players we've lost in recent years were key performers. But North Dakota lost Genoway and. . . Speaking of the Sioux I wish we could figure out a way to get our mojo going at the end of the season. For us it was two lack luster performances against Tech, the twin debacles at the WCHA playoffs and then yesterday. Not a pretty picture.

Gwoz is a smart guy who knows the game. It's not likely he's unaware of three straight collapses. Maybe there's no "reason" for it, nothing that can be "done" to correct it. Maybe there is. Frankly, I don't know.

Collectively these young guys did a great job all season long on the ice and in the classroom. They have earned our respect and admiration and, yes, sympathy. They're hurting more than any of us.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Several times late in the season I listened to George Gwozdecky's comments in the weekly DU press conferences available online. In each of the press conferences, Gwozdecky referred to the MacNaughton Trophy as the most difficult [regular season] trophy to win in college hockey.

For the sake of discussion let's say he's right: it is the toughest trophy to win in the regular season. Perhaps winning the trophy is, in essence, a Pyrrhic Victory: Denver wins the battle, but loses the war. Specifically, Denver expends too much energy in winning the trophy rather than perhaps saving some emotional and physical energy for the post-season.

Gwoz has never spewed mindless platitudes by saying "if we beat so and so we've had a successful season and nothing else matters." Sure it's nice to win a WCHA title. It's nice to win the Gold Pan. It's nice to place players on the all-conference team and win individual conference accolades. Speaking only for myself, all these accomplishments represent "winning the battle." They are milestones rather than objectives. Denver's program is such that winning a national title on a periodic basis should be its primary, on-ice objective, because in seasons the team is good enough to do that other accomplishments will be achieved.

Gwozdecky and his staff have built the Denver program into one which is competitive every season in the WCHA. Denver's program is strong enough that more years than not the Pioneers will earn a berth in the NCAA tournament. Gwozdecky has been at DU for sixteen full seasons. I hope he stays for many more seasons. I also hope he examines his own, oft-repeated contention that the MacNaughton Trophy is the most difficult regular season trophy to win and assesses the option of refocusing on the 'bigger' picture===> preparing the team for post-season success rather than expending too much energy to win a regualr season trophy.
            sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Goddard: Great meeting you yesterday. You are truely the best DU fan and a great fan of college hockey in general. The "Man named Goddard" stayed for the 2nd game even though we were all very bummed out by our loss. He gets it. We applauded R.I.T.'s effort and victory.
              So people are knocking you on your blog. Jealousy. You apparently had lots of TV time yesterday. I asked a few of the girls in NJ who I know who watched the game and what there reaction was. They all said "Goddard is Hot".
              See you down the road Goddard.

Comment

The hockey world is a small one. Before coming to DU, Brian Gifford played two years for the Indiana Ice. One of his teammates was goalie Jared DeMichiel, who did a splendid job for RIT yesterday. [Another teammate was goalie Cody Reichard, now of Miami].
                sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Jeebus! The Sioux lose to Yale? Unfreakinbelievable. Another bad day by the WCHA. Oops. RIT scores two in about :13 to take a 3-1 lead with 6:00 in the 2nd. My, my.

I've got a suggestion: (it's too late, I know) but from now on any jerk making any reference to "motown" or the "motorcity" gets neutered, on the red line! Shut up.

Comment

Make it 4-1 RIT

Comment

Holy moly! RIT 6 UNH 2. We lost, but at least we didn't get smoked.

Comment

• Re: All things Denver XXVII: From Boonetown to Motown - It's not a Ford, it's a Chevy

OK, I feel better after reading the various posts!! I also feel better because:

1- RIT just smoked a really god UNH team!! That must make all of us feel better.
                        2- All Maine fans have an inherent obligation to hate UNH. I feel good for my Maine friends!!
                        3- But I really feel good about the Yale/ UND game and I'll tell you why. Yes, I hate UND like we all do, yes, I don't want them to surpass us in national champ. games, but the real reason I am so happy is because it was Yale that did it. I grew up in CT, my father was a Doctor who worked in New Haven and taught a few classes at Yale medical school. He, my father, was also a huge college hockey fan (he actually played for Bates when they had a team). Because he worked for the University, we got great seats at Ingalls' Rink, "The Whale". Long story short, I grew up watching a very mediocre Yale team, always losing to Harvard and Cornell, but, wow, what a blast! When my dad found out that I chose DU, one of the first things he said was, "make sure you go to the hockey games, they have a great tradition" I did and that is the reason I obsess over our team and post random thoughts on this board!!!

So, now I have a team to rout for!! Yeah!!!
                        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                        Tom Serratore

Comment

So far 4 of the top 8 seeds have been knocked out. DU is the only #1 seed out and three #2 seeds are out; UND, BSU and Cornell. SCSU, the last #2 seed is on the ropes against #1 Wisconsin, so by the end of tonight 5 of the top 8 seeds may have packed their bags for home.
                          Last edited by du78; 03-27-2010, 09:53 PM.
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                            So far 4 of the top 8 seeds have been knocked out. DU is the only #1 seed out and three #2 seeds are out; UND, BSU and Cornell. SCSU, the last #2 seed is on the ropes against #1 Wisconsin, so by the end of tonight 5 of the top 8 seeds may have packed their bags for home.
                            SCSU is D-U-N.
                            DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                            sigpic
                            WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

So I'm left wanting Wisconsin to win the NC. In psychology that's known as an approach/avoidance conflict. Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                                Several times late in the season I listened to George Gwozdecky's comments in the weekly DU press conferences available online. In each of the press conferences, Gwozdecky referred to the MacNaughton Trophy as the most difficult [regular season] trophy to win in college hockey.

For the sake of discussion let's say he's right: it is the toughest trophy to win in the regular season. Perhaps winning the trophy is, in essence, a Pyrrhic Victory: Denver wins the battle, but loses the war. Specifically, Denver expends too much energy in winning the trophy rather than perhaps saving some emotional and physical energy for the post-season.

Gwoz has never spewed mindless platitudes by saying "if we beat so and so we've had a successful season and nothing else matters." Sure it's nice to win a WCHA title. It's nice to win the Gold Pan. It's nice to place players on the all-conference team and win individual conference accolades. Speaking only for myself, all these accomplishments represent "winning the battle." They are milestones rather than objectives. Denver's program is such that winning a national title on a periodic basis should be its primary, on-ice objective, because in seasons the team is good enough to do that other accomplishments will be achieved.

Gwozdecky and his staff have built the Denver program into one which is competitive every season in the WCHA. Denver's program is strong enough that more years than not the Pioneers will earn a berth in the NCAA tournament. Gwozdecky has been at DU for sixteen full seasons. I hope he stays for many more seasons. I also hope he examines his own, oft-repeated contention that the MacNaughton Trophy is the most difficult regular season trophy to win and assesses the option of refocusing on the 'bigger' picture===> preparing the team for post-season success rather than expending too much energy to win a regualr season trophy.
                                I disagree. We all want to win national championships but a bounce here or there in the NCAA playoffs can send a team packing. There is so much luck involved, I would hate to not play my best during the regular season. DU down the stretch looked spotty and UND looked great now neither one of them has a chance to play for a national championship. Which team had a better year? DU or UND? They both won a little hardware but I would say DU did because the regular season trophy is difficult to win.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X