An open an honest proposal for the WCHA final five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An open an honest proposal for the WCHA final five

I felt it appropriate to steal SCSU's icon for this because we all know UND fans, like their hockey team, are cheap losers that have to be cheap to win.

It seems to me in the little time I've spent following the game of college hockey and the WCHA that one fallacy immediately springs to mind every playoff time, and that is the belief that the Xcel energy center is a 'neutral' site. Yes, thats right, a mere stones throw from the UMTC campus, this venue somehow remains a 'neutral' location. Every school that competes in the final five save one (well, not counting this year) has to travel to the arena, some as little as 70 miles, some as much as 1,000 miles (UAA doesn't count). Then there's the team that can ride their bikes to the arena. Who thought that would be neutral? Even the pep band has to make a day of the drive down.

Therefore I propose an alternative. There is one arena within the WCHA that will likely never see its team in the Final Five, so I propose we do it there. That location? the MacInnes Ice Arena. We know that the Huskies would never play in the tourney, and the arena itself is nicely located on the UP, far enough out in the booneys that every team in the tournament would more or less have to take at least a half if not a full day to get there, and the pep band wouldn't even have to go anywhere!

It makes perfect sense.
    Remember when you were young? You shined like the sun...

Re: An open an honest proposal for the WCHA final five

Hockey East at the Garden has a supposed advantage for BC and BU, although Maine and UNH always bring huge crowds. Michigan and Michigan State have the advantage in the CCHA with it being at the Joe in Detroit.

Going further, in other college sports, the SEC Championship game for football is always in Atlanta and the ACC Hoops Tourney is almost always (or at least historically) been in the Greensboro Coliseum. So Duke and UNC supposedly have an advantage for the ACC and Georgia if they make it in the SEC.

I've been to the XCel Energy Center for the 2002 Frozen Four and thought it was a terrific facility. It is the most central site for the WCHA to hold their event. If college hockey was more popular, you could rotate the WCHA Final Five through Milwaukee, Denver, and St. Paul. However, it is not so the XCel Energy Center is the best option.

Comment

The sole relevant purpose of conference tourneys is the sponsoring league needs to make money -- both in the seats they sell and on television, through commerical rates and media market size.

It's not about providing the most neutral site - if that were the case, we'd play it in St. Louis or Florida every year.

The WCHA's best prospects for financial return are in St. Paul. No other arena could come close to the gurantee that St. Paul offers, due to the closeness of the venue to the majority of participating schools and the generosity and size of the University of Minnesota fan base to be the primary financial driver behind crowd size, maximum spending capability and media revenue generated. That's why the Gophers get preferrential treatment in terms of proximity and game times when they appear- becuase their fans are the largest mealticket fan base in the league. They've earned the special treatment because they pay for it.

Until someone else can deliver a better proposal, the tourney should stay in St. Paul.

Comment

You're just trying to get everyone worked up aren't you.

You can't possibly be that stupid, I refuse to believe it.
        04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
        USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
        I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
        Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
        I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxAviator View Post
          I felt it appropriate to steal SCSU's icon for this because we all know UND fans, like their hockey team, are cheap losers that have to be cheap to win.

It seems to me in the little time I've spent following the game of college hockey and the WCHA that one fallacy immediately springs to mind every playoff time, and that is the belief that the Xcel energy center is a 'neutral' site. Yes, thats right, a mere stones throw from the UMTC campus, this venue somehow remains a 'neutral' location. Every school that competes in the final five save one (well, not counting this year) has to travel to the arena, some as little as 70 miles, some as much as 1,000 miles (UAA doesn't count). Then there's the team that can ride their bikes to the arena. Who thought that would be neutral? Even the pep band has to make a day of the drive down.

Therefore I propose an alternative. There is one arena within the WCHA that will likely never see its team in the Final Five, so I propose we do it there. That location? the MacInnes Ice Arena. We know that the Huskies would never play in the tourney, and the arena itself is nicely located on the UP, far enough out in the booneys that every team in the tournament would more or less have to take at least a half if not a full day to get there, and the pep band wouldn't even have to go anywhere!

It makes perfect sense.
          Originally posted by Will Ferrell as Alex Trebek
          I know what you're trying to do, but just... stop.
          ******* width="480" height="400" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_8671e5f668">****** name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" />****** name="flashvars" value="key=8671e5f668&vert=funnyordie_co_uk" />****** name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** width="480" height="400" flashvars="key=8671e5f668&vert=funnyordie_co_uk" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_8671e5f668" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
          Last edited by Beer Pong Horn; 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM.
          Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
          I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
          Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
            Hockey East at the Garden has a supposed advantage for BC and BU, although Maine and UNH always bring huge crowds. Michigan and Michigan State have the advantage in the CCHA with it being at the Joe in Detroit.

Going further, in other college sports, the SEC Championship game for football is always in Atlanta and the ACC Hoops Tourney is almost always (or at least historically) been in the Greensboro Coliseum. So Duke and UNC supposedly have an advantage for the ACC and Georgia if they make it in the SEC.

I've been to the XCel Energy Center for the 2002 Frozen Four and thought it was a terrific facility. It is the most central site for the WCHA to hold their event. If college hockey was more popular, you could rotate the WCHA Final Five through Milwaukee, Denver, and St. Paul. However, it is not so the XCel Energy Center is the best option.
            But college basketball and football are popular so whey don't they rotate their conference championships?

Comment

It always shocks me when I realize how many people don't understand the first, second, and last consideration of everything done by leagues and governing bodies in sports, and in spades in any sport that has the slightest potential to generate any recognition at all, is TO MAKE MONEY.

Comment

There is one arena within the WCHA that will likely never see its team in the Final Five, so I propose we do it there. That location? the MacInnes Ice Arena. We know that the Huskies would never play in the tourney, and the arena itself is nicely located on the UP, far enough out in the booneys that every team in the tournament would more or less have to take at least a half if not a full day to get there, and the pep band wouldn't even have to go anywhere!
                Jamie Russell take note of the disrespect the hockey Huskies have wrought from the years of losing. Please post this on the bulletin board for next year.

Comment

You could set your clock to threads like this one.
                  Originally posted by CavalryNate
                  Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                    Jamie Russell take note of the disrespect the hockey Huskies have wrought from the years of losing. Please post this on the bulletin board for next year.
                    If he doesn't have enough bulletin board material by now..... then you guys truly are hopeless...... Obviously it isn't any sort of motivating factor for the Huskies..... so who care at this point in life to bad the CHA folded..... the WCHA and CHA should have just done a team swap..... Tech for BSU..... That way.... MAYBE within the next 25 years Tech could have returned to the NCAA's I mean..... I would HOPE that they could teams the likes of UAH, Niagara, and Robert Morris..... But my money would still be that Tech would be Robert Morris's red headed step children
                    Last edited by GopherBigGuy911; 03-18-2010, 07:24 PM.
                    - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                    Go you Green and White
                    Go Bemidji Beavers
                    Fight with all your might!
                    Rah! Rah! Rah!
                    We are here to cheer you
                    We are out to win your fame,
                    So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                    Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

It makes perfect sense.
                      How about the REA and UND do a guarantee bid, that absolutely guarantees the WCHA more cash than they get at the X, and then it can be held in North Dakota.

I didn't think so.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

It makes perfect sense.
                        Dumbest thing I've ever heard and I've been around here for a long time.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                          If he doesn't have enough bulletin board material by now..... then you guys truly are hopeless...... Obviously it isn't any sort of motivating factor for the Huskies..... so who care at this point in life to bad the CHA folded..... the WCHA and CHA should have just done a team swap..... Tech for BSU..... That way.... MAYBE within the next 25 years Tech could have returned to the NCAA's I mean..... I would HOPE that they could teams the likes of UAH, Niagara, and Robert Morris..... But my money would still be that Tech would be Robert Morris's red headed step children
                          Posts like this are why I root for the Wolverines out of spite. At least they have their pride.
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

It makes perfect sense.

I keep looking for the sarcasm alert and can't find it...
                            St. Norbert College Green Knights
                            NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                            NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                            NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                            ---
                            SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

If this thread is an attempt at sarcasm, it's a poor one.

If it's an actual criticism, again, it's a poor one.

The X has never been claimed to be a neutral site. It is simply the best one - you can't find a comparable arena anywhere in the WCHA that can match the attendance and revenue that St. Paul generates for the league.

Comment

Working...
                              X