Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An open an honest proposal for the WCHA final five

Originally posted by BigM3810 View Post
    But college basketball and football are popular so whey don't they rotate their conference championships?
    You mean like the Big Ten alternating between Conseco and the United Center from 2001-2008?

You mean like Big 12 basketball moving from:
    02 - Kansas City
    03 - Dallas
    04 - Dallas
    05 - Kansas City
    06 - Dallas
    07 - Oklahoma City
    08 - Kansas City
    09 - Oklahoma City
    10- Kansas City

or even the ACC men's hoops:
    05 - Washington DC
    06 - Greensboro
    07 - Tampa
    08 - Charlotte
    09 - Atlanta
    10 - Greensboro

And the SEC men:
    08 - Atlanta
    09 - Tampa
    10 - Nashville
    11 - Atlanta
    12 - New Orleans
    13 - Nashville
    14 - Atlanta
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

I would love to see the Final Five rotate to, say, Denver and/or Milwaukee if (IF) those sites could get a similar gate and generate similar revenue.

They cannot.

Nobody says St. Paul is neutral, but it certainly is about as central as you're going to get in a league with the geography of the WCHA. Milwaukee is a further trip for everyone but Wisconsin. Same with Denver - a much longer trip for everyone but DU and CC (UAA is flying already, no real difference there).

I wonder if this issue would come up if the geography was slightly different - if Minnesota wasn't located in the Twin Cities, the same way that neither Michigan or Michigan State are directly in Detroit. If Minnesota's campus was in, say, Rochester, would this claim of bias still come up so often?
      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
        I wonder if this issue would come up if the geography was slightly different - if Minnesota wasn't located in the Twin Cities, the same way that neither Michigan or Michigan State are directly in Detroit. If Minnesota's campus was in, say, Rochester, would this claim of bias still come up so often?
        Most likely, and from the same sources.
        Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
        I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
        Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
          I would love to see the Final Five rotate to, say, Denver and/or Milwaukee if (IF) those sites could get a similar gate and generate similar revenue.
          If Minnesota's campus was in, say, Rochester, would this claim of bias still come up so often?

If it were, we would know for sure if it was all about the Gophers if they played it at the Rochester Rec Center. I love how the ice looks striped.
          ---

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
            You mean like the Big Ten alternating between Conseco and the United Center from 2001-2008?

You mean like Big 12 basketball moving from:
            02 - Kansas City
            03 - Dallas
            04 - Dallas
            05 - Kansas City
            06 - Dallas
            07 - Oklahoma City
            08 - Kansas City
            09 - Oklahoma City
            10- Kansas City

or even the ACC men's hoops:
            05 - Washington DC
            06 - Greensboro
            07 - Tampa
            08 - Charlotte
            09 - Atlanta
            10 - Greensboro

And the SEC men:
            08 - Atlanta
            09 - Tampa
            10 - Nashville
            11 - Atlanta
            12 - New Orleans
            13 - Nashville
            14 - Atlanta
            It's almost like conferences (all of them, from Division I to Division III, from ice hockey to field hockey) put out these championships for competitive bid and award them to the venue that will generate the greatest return to the league.
            UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
            2006 Time Person of the Year
            Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
            It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
              Most likely, and from the same sources.
              Plus it wouldn't change the fact that there's a huge population of U alumni in the twin cities which would continue to drive the attendance and tv ratings for the tournament.

Comment

The General Manager for the XCEL was on between periods tonight. They have 3 concerts, the Final Five, NCAA practices & NCAA regionals squeezed in a week. Impressive management and scheduling to be sure.

Its certainly possible, if not probable that the WCHA gets the XCEL for free, at cost or significantly below market rates.

Finally did everyone notice the WCHA sponsorship & signage on the boards tonight. An impressive display of Minnesota based businesses stepping forward and supporting WCHA hockey.

Comment

On the serious side, the WCHA tried the Bradley Center in Milwaukee.

The last time it was there, 1998, the attendance for two of the sessions - semifinal and finals - was 9,452 and 10,166, and the Badgers won the tournament.

So, I understand perfectly why it's at the X.
                  ---

Comment

I hear the CCHA wants to have an opening act before the games at the Joe

That might be a possibility...
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

I'm sure that Bruce McLeod would be happy for the CCHA to be the opening act for the Final Five. 4 AM and 9 AM games, anyone?
                      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Dumbest thing I've ever heard and I've been around here for a long time.
                        Come on SD, I know you have read uw14, vw's and rinkpigs posts.
                        If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

The Joe had some hack cover band between games at GLI. Worked out as well as you think it did.
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post
                            Come on SD, I know you have read uw14, vw's and rinkpigs posts.
                            Another thing that is preposterous is that he must not read his own posts either.
                            Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                              On the serious side, the WCHA tried the Bradley Center in Milwaukee.

The last time it was there, 1998, the attendance for two of the sessions - semifinal and finals - was 9,452 and 10,166, and the Badgers won the tournament.

So, I understand perfectly why it's at the X.
                              I went to the Bradley Center during my lunch today and saw some ugly colored Maroon and Yellow team practicing basketball. There could be better use for the building. I agree.
                              Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Xcel is fine. Even without Minnesota in there the crowds will be great. Many people I know have given up on the State High School hockey tourney tix in favor of making the WCHA their big weekend. Great weekend a lot of fun. Great fan support from all teams.

The west regional will be the test for local fan interest.

How did Minnesota blow the opportunity to play in NCAA regionals they host two years in a row?

Comment

Working...
                                X