PDA

View Full Version : Hockey East Awards

Pages : 1 2 [3]

thecomicbookguy
03-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Right. Meanwhile, UNH moves up two spots from third to first, but were hanging onto first by their fingernails. If the season had been a week or two longer, they'd likely have lost it to BC, who are clearly playing better than any other team in the league right now (BU included). If the award had been given a weekend later I think Dennehy still gets the nod and Umile doesn't share it. UNH was expected to finish well this year, and having finished well, was expected to advance from the first round in the playoffs and didn't.

So UNH has met some expectations but failed to meet others, while Merrimack's program has met or exceeded just about every expectation one could reasonably have held for it, given last year's performance.

Dennehy won for bringing the program up from the doldrums of a 3-win season early in his tenure to competing for home ice and getting into the playoffs this year after finishing in last place the previous season.

Umile won for finishing first in the regular season while not being BC or BU.

I suppose one can say those are equivalent :)
I'm not going to dispute anything in this post except the bolded part, as UNH was not expected to finish all that well. There was a lot of talk heading into the season about the team missing home ice this year. (Although, Connelly and Hendrickson pretty much nailed it in the season preview: "In the Hockey East logjam, the Wildcats could make a run at first place or miss home ice by a mile.") Even as the season got rolling, most people thought UNH would struggle to finish 4th. This UNH team looked awful in the first quarter of the season, and steadily improved to take over the number one spot. I think that is why Umile got the nod.

As for the "if the season was a week longer" bit, yeah, UNH might have dropped out of the top spot, but Merrimack finished tied with UMass, one point higher than Vermont, and just two points out of 9th. With some up and down play those last few weeks as well, who's to say that with another week, NU and UVM* don't overtake Merrimack? Again, I'm not saying Dennehy isn't deserving, or that Umile deserved it more, just trying to get people to admit that Umile may have done a pretty good job this year.

*Speaking of NU and UVM, were it not for three straight late-game comebacks in back-to-back weekends towards the end of the season by UNH, both teams would have finished above Merrimack, pushing them into 9th.

Slasher7
03-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Brian Foster first-team goalie. Yeah okay.

Hutton wins top goalie, but isn't on the First Team? Typical Hockey East. Foster's "highlight reel" should include when he fell on his *** and allowed that goal vs. UVM.

thecomicbookguy
03-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Hutton wins top goalie, but isn't on the First Team? Typical Hockey East. Foster's "highlight reel" should include when he fell on his *** and allowed that goal vs. UVM.

I want to say that the Goaltending Champion award is based strictly on stats, while the all-star selections are more subjective. Hutton put up better numbers, but I think he had a better defense in front of him. Also, Foster played in far more games than Hutton (26 of 27, as opposed to 18), put up similar numbers (.913/2.75 vs .920/2.35) with a much better record (.654 vs .500).

REDMEN2002
03-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Very disappointed that Dennehy didn't win that award outright.

UMLFan
03-19-2010, 08:41 AM
I want to say that the Goaltending Champion award is based strictly on stats, while the all-star selections are more subjective. Hutton put up better numbers, but I think he had a better defense in front of him. Also, Foster played in far more games than Hutton (26 of 27, as opposed to 18), put up similar numbers (.913/2.75 vs .920/2.35) with a much better record (.654 vs .500).
People might disagree with me, but I think W and L for goalies are overrated, just as they are for pitchers in baseball. Hutton's record (W-L) is rather sad for what he accomplished because he got no offensive support.

To me, this was the most disappointing part of the season ... games where Hutton gave up 2 goals this year and didn't win include:
12/4/09 @ UNH, lost 2-1.
1/3/10, Northeastern (Dartmouth Tournament), lost 2-1
1/16/10, UMass, lost 2-1
1/29/10, @ Northeastern, lost 2-1
2/13/10, @ BC, lost 2-1
2/27/10, @ PC, tied 2-2
3/6/10, UVM, tied 1-1
3/13/10, @ Maine, lost 2-0

7 games this year where Hutton gave up 2 or less and didn't get a win. To me, that's amazing.

adidasjerry
03-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Hockey East First-Team All-Stars
G: Brian Foster, New Hampshire (Sr., Pembroke, N.H.)
D: Justin Braun, Massachusetts (Sr., Vadnais Heights, Minn.)
D: Colby Cohen, Boston University (Jr., Villanova, Pa.)
D: Blake Kessel, New Hampshire (So., Verona, Wis.)
F: Bobby Butler, New Hampshire (Sr., Marlboro, Mass.)
F: Brian Gibbons, Boston College (Jr., Braintree, Mass.)
F: Gustav Nyquist, Maine * (So., Malmo, Sweden)
* unanimous selection

Hockey East Second-Team All-Stars
G: Carter Hutton, UMass-Lowell (Sr., Thunder Bay, Ont.)
D: Jeremy Dehner, UMass-Lowell (Sr., Madison, Wis.)
D: Jeff Dimmen, Maine (Jr., Colorado Springs, Col.)
F: Cam Atkinson, Boston College (So., Greenwich, Conn.)
F: Stephane Da Costa, Merrimack College (Fr., Paris, France)
F: James Marcou, Massachusetts (Jr., Kings Park, N.Y.)

Hockey East Honorable Mention All-Stars
G: Alex Beaudry, Providence College (So., Cumberland, Ont.)
D: Carl Sneep, Boston College (Sr., Nisswa, Minn.)
D: Mark Fayne, Providence College (Sr., Sagamore Beach, Mass.)
F: Nick Bonino, Boston University (Jr., Unionville, Conn.)
F: Brian Flynn, Maine (So., Lynnfield, Mass.)
F: Casey Wellman, Massachusetts (So., Brentwood, Calif.)

Not one player from UVM :( . I can deal. Can always give the we have no superstars, we just play as a team answer. Kind of like the Patriots a few years ago in that respect :)

J.D.
03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
You had a Gibbons and Atkinson make an all-team from BC, so you have to put at least one kid from BU on there too.

You make it sound like the only reason Gibbons and Atkinson made it is because they play for BC. They fully deserve to be on there.

Foster's "highlight reel" should include when he fell on his *** and allowed that goal vs. UVM.

Please tell me there's a clip of this...

As someone else said, no need for three rookie d-men. And is Cohen a top 2 dman in the league? No. But he has a ton of goals. That's how the voting usually goes.

Also, no surprise UVM had nobody on the team. Didn't deserve any.

Slasher7
03-19-2010, 09:17 AM

I realize the goalie award is numbers based, but there's no way Foster should have made first team over Hutton. Nothing aganst Foster, but Hutton is a better goalie.

thecomicbookguy
03-19-2010, 09:23 AM
People might disagree with me, but I think W and L for goalies are overrated, just as they are for pitchers in baseball. Hutton's record (W-L) is rather sad for what he accomplished because he got no offensive support.

To me, this was the most disappointing part of the season ... games where Hutton gave up 2 goals this year and didn't win include:
12/4/09 @ UNH, lost 2-1.
1/3/10, Northeastern (Dartmouth Tournament), lost 2-1
1/16/10, UMass, lost 2-1
1/29/10, @ Northeastern, lost 2-1
2/13/10, @ BC, lost 2-1
2/27/10, @ PC, tied 2-2
3/6/10, UVM, tied 1-1
3/13/10, @ Maine, lost 2-0

7 games this year where Hutton gave up 2 or less and didn't get a win. To me, that's amazing.
Against Foster, Rawlings x2, Milner, Beaudry, Madore, Dainton, and Darling. The last two are the only weak links, and Darling was still pretty good. I see what you're saying, but it's not like Lowell was going up against Brett Bennett and should have put up 5 goals each time.

And again, I will point to the fact that Hutton played 8 fewer games than Foster. Foster led the league in minutes played, faced the second most shots in the league (by 10), and was just .007 behind Hutton in save percentage.

Federal League
03-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Not one player from UVM :( . I can deal. Can always give the we have no superstars, we just play as a team answer. Kind of like the Patriots a few years ago in that respect :)

My eyes and the plus/minus stats tell me Patrick Cullity is one of the top 6 d-men in this league. Apparently offensive production matters more to the people who voted on this, though.

UMLFan
03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
And again, I will point to the fact that Hutton played 8 fewer games than Foster. Foster led the league in minutes played, faced the second most shots in the league (by 10), and was just .007 behind Hutton in save percentage.
The games played, there's not much that can be said. Hamilton did pretty well in net for Lowell as well, so they were splitting pretty much till right at the end.

And yes, I know the goalies that Lowell was facing were good, but my point was that a couple of games switch around and his record looks a lot better. Hutton kept this team in games all year long. His offense just didn't provide any help.

Runsub5
03-19-2010, 09:38 AM
The games played, there's not much that can be said. Hamilton did pretty well in net for Lowell as well, so they were splitting pretty much till right at the end.

And yes, I know the goalies that Lowell was facing were good, but my point was that a couple of games switch around and his record looks a lot better. Hutton kept this team in games all year long. His offense just didn't provide any help.

If I'm not mistaken, Hutton set a few records for UML also. While that is not necessarily the criteria, I thought he was more deserving as you have well documented. He is also a senior and will not have another opportunity. He carried UML this year, in my opinion.

Warrior51
03-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Great freshman year by Stephane Da Costa!

J.D.
03-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Another thing on the lack of consistency...

Da Costa is a finalist for POTY
Brian Gibbons is not

However, Gibbons makes first team over Da Costa.

Warrior51
03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Another thing on the lack of consistency...

Da Costa is a finalist for POTY
Brian Gibbons is not

However, Gibbons makes first team over Da Costa.

I agree that is a bit odd

kdaddy
03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
My eyes and the plus/minus stats tell me Patrick Cullity is one of the top 6 d-men in this league. Apparently offensive production matters more to the people who voted on this, though.

I was looking at that too.. I think Franzen at +11 is next closest and then it is basically even for the rest of the team. A +21 on this team stands out.

Federal League
03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I was looking at that too.. I think Franzen at +11 is next closest and then it is basically even for the rest of the team. A +21 on this team stands out.

Cullity is +21. The next closest on UVM is Stacey at +11. Only one other player in HE is more than 5 points better than anyone else on his team (Bonino is a +18 for BU; Connolly is second at +9).

ScottK
03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Cullity is +21. The next closest on UVM is Stacey at +11.

Only league games count for the awards, and Cullity was a +17 (next closest was Kevan Miller at +8). I'm thinking thelack of points and the 48 PIM in league play is why he didn't get on there.

Only one other player in HE is more than 5 points better than anyone else on his team (Bonino is a +18 for BU; Connolly is second at +9).
Jeremy Dehner was +12 for UML, next closest on the team was Kory Falite at +6.

Bonino and NiCastro were both +11 for BU in league play.

RENCEB
03-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Great freshman year by Stephane Da Costa! DaCosta is only the 3rd MC forward to be named to the 1st or 2nd team in HE history. They've never had a 1st team selection, and only Reggie Stringer and Anthony Aquino made 2nd team.

Congrats to all the players, and a special congrats to Coach Dennehey for making MC hockey relevent again.