PDA

View Full Version : Hockey East Awards

Pages : 1 [2] 3

gscott13
03-18-2010, 09:28 PM
What's up with putting 3 DMen on a bunch of these freakin teams? Jeez.

ties. same reason whitehead is listed as runner up for coty, even though he was technically third in the voting.

also interesting is the fact that nyquist was the only unanimous first teamer, yet beaten out for poty....

Terrierbyassociation
03-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Two things.

1) Umile sharing the award with Dennehy is a joke. Dennehy was amazing this year.

2) Colby Cohen on the first team? Did the people voting even watch this year? Colby was wracked by injuries this year to his hip and didn't look anywhere close to the player last year.

thecomicbookguy
03-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Merrimack took BU to the limit, definitely exceeded most expectations, so yes by comparison. I'd say to make Dennehy share it is pretty bad. What Umile did was pretty impressive, but it's not like they were terrible last year. Merrimack has been in the basement for a long time and hasn't been in the playoffs in quite a few years. I'm not sure what their highest finish ever was, but 6th was above everyone's expectations considerably.

You are correct that UNH wasn't terrible last year, but that's kind of my point. A lot of last year's scoring either graduated or went pro. They

I'm not saying that Umile necessarily deserved to be co-COTY, just giving possible reasons why it's not as big a joke as people are making it out to be.

UMLGoon
03-18-2010, 09:39 PM
oh by the way stephane da costa should have made a run at league MVP and doesn't even end up on the first team. it's ridiculous.

thecomicbookguy
03-18-2010, 09:42 PM
oh by the way stephane da costa should have made a run at league MVP and doesn't even end up on the first team. it's ridiculous.

Two Hobey finalists and Gibbons made first team. Not a lot of room left there. Voters tend to go with upperclassmen over rookies for first team. I think the general thinking is that the Freshmen will get their crack as the older players graduate/leave.

UMLGoon
03-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Two Hobey finalists and Gibbons made first team. Not a lot of room left there. Voters tend to go with upperclassmen over rookies for first team. I think the general thinking is that the Freshmen will get their crack as the older players graduate/leave.not that i disagree with you, but i think if you look at the amount of players around nyquist and butler as compared to those around da costa, you have to realize that this kid made a hercluean effort.

did dennehy do a hell of a job coaching the team? yeah obviously, he got merrimack two points from home ice. but the kid had more points and played a bigger role (i.e. THE guy) on a considerably worse team talent-wise than gibbons.

RoughEmUp
03-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Colby Cohen?!

I can only hope this prompts the Avalanche to take him away. Hurt or not, his give-aways and defensive nonchalance cancels out his shot, imo.

thecomicbookguy
03-18-2010, 09:50 PM
not that i disagree with you, but i think if you look at the amount of players around nyquist and butler as compared to those around da costa, you have to realize that this kid made a hercluean effort.

did dennehy do a hell of a job coaching the team? yeah obviously, he got merrimack two points from home ice. but the kid had more points and played a bigger role (i.e. THE guy) on a considerably worse team talent-wise than gibbons.

Fair points.

Sportsmaniac
03-18-2010, 09:53 PM
I think what helped Kreider was he broke out after the WJC's and in the day of what have you done for me lately, he was playing well from January on.

Carmine Scarpaglia
03-18-2010, 09:55 PM

I know you're on a roll right now, but Da Costa isn't on the same level as Gibbons. Not even close if you get to watch Gibbons on a nightly basis. Acknowledging the fact that it's a world obsessed with points - he's the best player in Hockey East and does it all (though I could do without the stupid penalties now and then).

BoSox3066
03-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Acknowledging the fact that it's a world obsessed with points - he's the best player in Hockey East and does it all (though I could do without the stupid penalties now and then).

I like him, I don't think he's better than Nyquist.

Runsub5
03-18-2010, 10:08 PM
I know you're on a roll right now, but Da Costa isn't on the same level as Gibbons. Not even close if you get to watch Gibbons on a nightly basis. Acknowledging the fact that it's a world obsessed with points - he's the best player in Hockey East and does it all (though I could do without the stupid penalties now and then).

Da Costa commits stupid penalties as well. It's sometimes easy to get under his skin if you hit him.

UMLGoon
03-18-2010, 10:12 PM
my last post on the subject will just be some numbers in da costa's favor:

merrimack averaged 3.09 GF (105), 2.97 GA (101) in da costa's 34 games

in the 3 games.. i know, i know, sample size.. without him, merrimack averaged 1.33 GF (4) and 5.00 GA (15).

da costa was on the ice for 55 of merrimack's 105 goals for, and just 23 of the 101 goals against. think about that; huge impact on both ends, and his ability to control the puck certainly made the warriors much better.

legit case for league mvp, i don't care what year he is and what school he attends.

I know you're on a roll right now, but Da Costa isn't on the same level as Gibbons. Not even close if you get to watch Gibbons on a nightly basis. Acknowledging the fact that it's a world obsessed with points - he's the best player in Hockey East and does it all (though I could do without the stupid penalties now and then).okay let's take gibbons off bc and drop him on a line with jeff valleca and brandon brodhag and watch him rack up points like a pinball machine

BU Hammer
03-18-2010, 10:16 PM

He did. Da Costa, Butler, and Nyquist were the three finalists for player of the year.

Not that I necessarily think Da Costa was more valuable than Gibbons –– it's kind of an apples (points, points and more points) and oranges (solid all-around game) kind of thing. Personally, probably would've gone with Da Costa if I had to pick, but that factors in my minor man-crush on the Parisian Warrior and my BU affiliation, so there's that.

Federal League
03-18-2010, 10:50 PM
I think Da Costa is not only a better player than Gibbons, but easily a more valuable player. After seeing everyone in this league play at least three times this season, I think Nyquist and Da Costa are the two most valuable players to their team. They're the two guys who do the best job of making everyone around them better. They're the two guys who can create for themselves or for others every time they touch the puck. They're the two guys that coaches gameplan for the most. I don't really have a huge beef with Gibbons getting First Team because he's a great all-around player. And I don't really have a huge beef with Butler getting POTY because his numbers are spectacular, he scores more goals, he plays good defense and he's a senior captain. He just doesn't scare me as much as Nyquist or Da Costa, though.

J.D.
03-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Da Costa is obviously more valuable to Merrimack than Gibbons is to BC. I won't argue that. But a better all around player? Gibbons.

dmjossel
03-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Yup. They're regular season awards. Which is a shame, because Dennehy probably would have been helped by his team losing at BU... :confused:

Dennehy was being considered not just for the team's absolute performance, ut for the improvement from last year. Merrimack finished last the previous season, and moved up to sixth into the late-season logjam competing for home ice. It's the largest improvement in a team's standing from last season to this season. They were picked to miss the playoffs and finish last again this season, so frankly, taking BU to 3 games and then losing doesn't really hurt his claim to COTY one bit.

And the RS title is probably the reason UNH won. They lost a lot of talent from a team that finished tied for third last year, didn't add much in the way of Freshman talent, and finished first. That kind of thing might have swayed some voters.

Right. Meanwhile, UNH moves up two spots from third to first, but were hanging onto first by their fingernails. If the season had been a week or two longer, they'd likely have lost it to BC, who are clearly playing better than any other team in the league right now (BU included). If the award had been given a weekend later I think Dennehy still gets the nod and Umile doesn't share it. UNH was expected to finish well this year, and having finished well, was expected to advance from the first round in the playoffs and didn't.

So UNH has met some expectations but failed to meet others, while Merrimack's program has met or exceeded just about every expectation one could reasonably have held for it, given last year's performance.

Dennehy won for bringing the program up from the doldrums of a 3-win season early in his tenure to competing for home ice and getting into the playoffs this year after finishing in last place the previous season.

Umile won for finishing first in the regular season while not being BC or BU.

I suppose one can say those are equivalent :)

umassfan49
03-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Colby Cohen?!

I can only hope this prompts the Avalanche to take him away. Hurt or not, his give-aways and defensive nonchalance cancels out his shot, imo.

Cohen was 2nd in the league among defenseman in scoring. He also plays for BU, one of Hockey East's "golden teams" along with BC. You had a Gibbons and Atkinson make an all-team from BC, so you have to put at least one kid from BU on there too. Plus, getting the winning goal in the NCAAs, although last year, really made him a household name.

sterlippo1
03-19-2010, 05:13 AM
no mention of warsofsky? even honorable mention? i don't know, i only saw BU 3 times in person and some on TV but seems to me he's pretty **** good..............am i missing something? did he tail off in the second half?

acs64
03-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Wow....poor choices everywhere this year. Don't know where to start. Looks like UHN got lots of sympathy votes