Hockey East Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East Awards

Was this thing picked before Umile choked last weekend? That is a freaking sham. That COTY award will go great next to his RS title trophy!!!!

What's up with putting 3 DMen on a bunch of these freakin teams? Jeez.
    Originally posted by reBlur
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by lah02476 View Post
      Dennehy having to share COTY with Umile is a joke!

Is it a requirement to have one of the "big 4" coaches win this award every year (except for Jerry York, of course)?
      No, Cronin won last year. There are always arguments but definitely some puzzling decisions this year. Foster had a good year and looked pretty good the couple times I saw him but never seemed better than Hutton. Reminds me on the year Bob Welch won the Cy Young over Clemens with 27 wins but an ERA over three. Clem had something like 21 wins and an ERA under two. Just because you have most wins doesn't mean you're the better pitcher. Or goalie.

Regardless, congrats to all the kids who were honored!

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
        Was this thing picked before Umile choked last weekend? That is a freaking sham. That COTY award will go great next to his RS title trophy!!!!
        Yup. They're regular season awards. Which is a shame, because Dennehy probably would have been helped by his team losing at BU...

And the RS title is probably the reason UNH won. They lost a lot of talent from a team that finished tied for third last year, didn't add much in the way of Freshman talent, and finished first. That kind of thing might have swayed some voters.
        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
        -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
          Yup. They're regular season awards. Which is a shame, because Dennehy probably would have been helped by his team losing at BU...
          Merrimack took BU to the limit, definitely exceeded most expectations, so yes by comparison. I'd say to make Dennehy share it is pretty bad. What Umile did was pretty impressive, but it's not like they were terrible last year. Merrimack has been in the basement for a long time and hasn't been in the playoffs in quite a few years. I'm not sure what their highest finish ever was, but 6th was above everyone's expectations considerably.
          Boston University 2009 Champs
          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Yup. They're regular season awards.
            Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Seriously, how could I write that?
            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
              What's up with putting 3 DMen on a bunch of these freakin teams? Jeez.
              ties. same reason whitehead is listed as runner up for coty, even though he was technically third in the voting.

also interesting is the fact that nyquist was the only unanimous first teamer, yet beaten out for poty....

Comment

Two things.

1) Umile sharing the award with Dennehy is a joke. Dennehy was amazing this year.

2) Colby Cohen on the first team? Did the people voting even watch this year? Colby was wracked by injuries this year to his hip and didn't look anywhere close to the player last year.
                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                  Merrimack took BU to the limit, definitely exceeded most expectations, so yes by comparison. I'd say to make Dennehy share it is pretty bad. What Umile did was pretty impressive, but it's not like they were terrible last year. Merrimack has been in the basement for a long time and hasn't been in the playoffs in quite a few years. I'm not sure what their highest finish ever was, but 6th was above everyone's expectations considerably.
                  You are correct that UNH wasn't terrible last year, but that's kind of my point. A lot of last year's scoring either graduated or went pro. They

I'm not saying that Umile necessarily deserved to be co-COTY, just giving possible reasons why it's not as big a joke as people are making it out to be.
                  Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                  -Fred Shero

Comment

oh by the way stephane da costa should have made a run at league MVP and doesn't even end up on the first team. it's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLGoon View Post
                      oh by the way stephane da costa should have made a run at league MVP and doesn't even end up on the first team. it's ridiculous.
                      Two Hobey finalists and Gibbons made first team. Not a lot of room left there. Voters tend to go with upperclassmen over rookies for first team. I think the general thinking is that the Freshmen will get their crack as the older players graduate/leave.
                      -Fred Shero

Comment

Two Hobey finalists and Gibbons made first team. Not a lot of room left there. Voters tend to go with upperclassmen over rookies for first team. I think the general thinking is that the Freshmen will get their crack as the older players graduate/leave.
                        not that i disagree with you, but i think if you look at the amount of players around nyquist and butler as compared to those around da costa, you have to realize that this kid made a hercluean effort.

did dennehy do a hell of a job coaching the team? yeah obviously, he got merrimack two points from home ice. but the kid had more points and played a bigger role (i.e. THE guy) on a considerably worse team talent-wise than gibbons.

Comment

Colby Cohen?!

I can only hope this prompts the Avalanche to take him away. Hurt or not, his give-aways and defensive nonchalance cancels out his shot, imo.
                          Go BU!

Comment

not that i disagree with you, but i think if you look at the amount of players around nyquist and butler as compared to those around da costa, you have to realize that this kid made a hercluean effort.

did dennehy do a hell of a job coaching the team? yeah obviously, he got merrimack two points from home ice. but the kid had more points and played a bigger role (i.e. THE guy) on a considerably worse team talent-wise than gibbons.
                            Fair points.
                            -Fred Shero

Comment

I think what helped Kreider was he broke out after the WJC's and in the day of what have you done for me lately, he was playing well from January on.
                              USCHO.com's MASCAC and ECAC-Northeast Columnist

Maine Hockey Journal

Comment

I know you're on a roll right now, but Da Costa isn't on the same level as Gibbons. Not even close if you get to watch Gibbons on a nightly basis. Acknowledging the fact that it's a world obsessed with points - he's the best player in Hockey East and does it all (though I could do without the stupid penalties now and then).

Comment

Working...
                                X