Minnesota-SSM
    33.33%
    Atlantic-TBA
    0.00%
    Mid American-Ohio Flames
    0.00%
    Host-Green Bay
    4.55%
    Last edited by gotice; 03-17-2010, 04:58 PM.
    GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Re: Who will win the "National" USA Invitational 19U tournament

I vote for NAHA. Always had a top team, never made it to the Nationals because of residency restrictions within the district.

Comment

Originally posted by on2thinice View Post
      I vote for NAHA. Always had a top team, never made it to the Nationals because of residency restrictions within the district.
      First, let me say that I think it is ridiculous that USA Hockey does not let them compete. They have the authority to override regional interests that unfairly apply uneven rules and choose not to.

However, NAHA is not nearly as strong this year as in recent years and I don't think they would have had a great shot at winning this year anyway. Our team played NAHA as well as Little Caesars, Chicago Mission, SSM, LA Selects, Ohio Flames, etc (most on more than 1 occasion) so I feel pretty qualified in stating that.

There are a number of excellent teams that could win, as many teams would be capable of beating another in a single game. However, I think the best team this season is SSM, and if they are on their game, they will not be easy to beat.

Good luck to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
        First, let me say that I think it is ridiculous that USA Hockey does not let them compete. They have the authority to override regional interests that unfairly apply uneven rules and choose not to.

However, NAHA is not nearly as strong this year as in recent years and I don't think they would have had a great shot at winning this year anyway. Our team played NAHA as well as Little Caesars, Chicago Mission, SSM, LA Selects, Ohio Flames, etc (most on more than 1 occasion) so I feel pretty qualified in stating that.

There are a number of excellent teams that could win, as many teams would be capable of beating another in a single game. However, I think the best team this season is SSM, and if they are on their game, they will not be easy to beat.

Good luck to all.
        No mention of Assabet in your list. They must be under consideration.

Agree with you on one point. Make the rules uniform enough so that all the best teams can compete if they wish to do so.

Have not seen SSM play so can't comment on them. I think LC and Assabet will go deep.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
          No mention of Assabet in your list. They must be under consideration.

Agree with you on one point. Make the rules uniform enough so that all the best teams can compete if they wish to do so.

Have not seen SSM play so can't comment on them. I think LC and Assabet will go deep.
          Can't comment at all on Assabet as I didn't see them this season. They chose not to compete in any of the big tourneys with the best in NA--at least not in any of the several featuring the top Canadian teams as well. And that relative lack of exposure to the best certainly won't help them now when every game is a big one.

As I said, many of these teams have a chance, but IMHO LC is not nearly as strong as SSM--and it seems the pollsters agree SSM will be the team to beat.

Comment

No Chicago Mission?

Comment

Originally posted by NoGo View Post
              No Chicago Mission?
              Wait 2 days. It's a formality.
              "Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese." - Joon

Comment

The Pacific Distric is being determined this weekend in San Jose

Comment

The Atlantic district team will be determined this weekend as well. The smart money's on the Rockets this year.

EDIT 3/23: It's official. The Rockets are in.
                  Last edited by BTW67; 03-23-2010, 04:36 PM.

Comment

They chose not to compete in any of the big tourneys with the best in NA--at least not in any of the several featuring the top Canadian teams as well. And that relative lack of exposure to the best certainly won't help them now when every game is a big one.
                    Your comments make it sound like Assabet is afraid to play in any of these tournament or just chooses to stay away. Most of the girls that make up the Assabet team attend (and live at) a New England Prep school which basically prohibits them from attending these tournaments. The schools require the girls to play 3 sports (1 sport per season) and are they are very strict about time off from school.
                    Assabet has attended the NAHA Labor day tournament for the last 2 years and done well both times. That tournament is held before the schools start classes so they are able to attend.
                    Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                      Your comments make it sound like Assabet is afraid to play in any of these tournament or just chooses to stay away. Most of the girls that make up the Assabet team attend (and live at) a New England Prep school which basically prohibits them from attending these tournaments. The schools require the girls to play 3 sports (1 sport per season) and are they are very strict about time off from school.
                      Assabet has attended the NAHA Labor day tournament for the last 2 years and done well both times. That tournament is held before the schools start classes so they are able to attend.
                      I'm not privy to their rationale for not playing in events against many of the top U19 teams, nor do I particularly care. All I know is that NAHA, SSM, LC, Mission etc attended 1 or more, and they never do.

I know LOTS of prep school kids who play multiple school sports as well as club hockey successfully, in both Canada and the US. I also know that many New England prep school kids specifically also happen to play with the Polar Bears too, and that team managed to plan a weekend where they played top Canadian clubs including Aeros, Mississauga and Stoney Creek this fall. Don't see how Assabet would be any different in their composition than PB.

Where there's a will, there's always a way.

Assabet usually does have good teams. I know, because we've found the trip worthwhile to go down to play them many times over the years--though always close to their home, rather than ours.

Hopefully the fact they've never managed to win has had any bearing on the lack of reciprocal visits

(Just kidding!)
                      Last edited by Trillium; 03-19-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                        I'm not privy to their rationale for not playing in events against many of the top U19 teams, nor do I particularly care. All I know is that NAHA, SSM, LC, Mission etc attended 1 or more, and they never do.

I know LOTS of prep school kids who play multiple school sports as well as club hockey successfully, in both Canada and the US. I also know that many New England prep school kids specifically also happen to play with the Polar Bears too, and that team managed to plan a weekend where they played top Canadian clubs including Aeros, Mississauga and Stoney Creek this fall. Don't see how Assabet would be any different in their composition than PB.

Where there's a will, there's always a way.

Assabet usually does have good teams. I know, because we've found the trip worthwhile to go down to play them many times over the years--though always close to their home, rather than ours.

Hopefully the fact they've never managed to win has had any bearing on the lack of reciprocal visits

(Just kidding!)
                        Trillium,

I'm with UConn Fan on this one. Assabet plays the same typical schedule year in year out. Because 80-90% of their players attend prep schools, those players are limited in the times they can attend, so the club works around that. Their teams typically play the NAHA showcase, their own Tourney, the PB event and States. They also play in a NE based league.

Their track record is proved. They have won U16 nationals virtually every year in the last 10. Many consider them the best Club based organization for womens hockey in the country, developing players and running programs at every age level. (SSM, NAHA, NSA etc are school teams, Assabet and PB are examples of pure club teams).

Many ex-assabet players go on to fine college career. Harvard seems to be a popular destinaition for many of them.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                          Trillium,

I'm with UConn Fan on this one. Assabet plays the same typical schedule year in year out. Because 80-90% of their players attend prep schools, those players are limited in the times they can attend, so the club works around that. Their teams typically play the NAHA showcase, their own Tourney, the PB event and States. They also play in a NE based league.

Their track record is proved. They have won U16 nationals virtually every year in the last 10. Many consider them the best Club based organization for womens hockey in the country, developing players and running programs at every age level. (SSM, NAHA, NSA etc are school teams, Assabet and PB are examples of pure club teams).

Many ex-assabet players go on to fine college career. Harvard seems to be a popular destinaition for many of them.
                          This all being said the PB team at the Winterlude had I think about 9 players probably because of their prep school commitments. Given the lack of exposure to the top tier competitions Assabet would not be as prepared as I think as a SSM or some of the others mentioned ( not a lack of talent I'm guessing just not having faced for the most part strong opponents in a tournament setting) Who did assabet play in order to qualify?

Comment

You can count out the Madison Capitols/WI Wild (if anyone ever thought they might be in). They were soundly defeated by Mission in the Central District playoffs.

That means Mission is the Central District representative.
                            "Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese." - Joon

Comment

Colorado Select U19's are at SSM this weekend 3/20.
                              First game 6-5 SSM. Colorado led most of the game and lost in the last couple of minutes
                              2nd Game 4-2 Colorado
                              3rd game in progress.

Colorado played in the JWHL and split with NAHA this year. Always good games.
                              Bline

Comment

Working...
                              X