Equipment question/Alabama-Huntsville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment question/Alabama-Huntsville

Greetings. My apologies in advance if this has already been addressed; I haven't been on USCHO is some time, and it just struck me that this would be the place to go to answer such a question.

During the Niagara game, I noticed that goaltender Cameron Talbot was wearing thigh boards with his Bauer pads; it was my understanding that these have been illegal for some time now, as they are in the NHL.

You can see one of them in this picture, under (his) right pad and in front of his pants. Obviously not a picture from the game, but his setup was identical.

http://media.al.com/huntsville-times...27d2_large.jpg

Just looking for some clarification. Thanks for any help!

Re: Equipment question/Alabama-Huntsville

Thigh boards are illegal in the NCAA, but I don't see them in the pic.

Comment

For the record, that photo is from a UAH practice.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        For the record, that photo is from a UAH practice.

GFM
        Yeah, hence the "obviously not a picture from the game" statement referencing the link.

If you didn't watch the game, can't read, or don't know what a thigh board is, please don't respond to this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Keycube View Post
          If you didn't watch the game, can't read, or don't know what a thigh board is, please don't respond to this thread.
          I watched the game. I can read. I know what a thigh board is. A previous poster indicated that he didn't see them in use. Everything I've read on the issue, since you brought it up, is that there isn't an NCAA ban, but rather a league-by-league ban. I do not know what the CHA's position on thigh boards is, but I'll be happy to call league officials if that makes you feel better.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

I sit corrected:

Goalkeeper’s Equipment
            SECTION 3. a. With the exception of skates and stick, all equipment
            worn by the goalkeeper must be constructed solely for the purpose of
            protecting the head or body. The goalkeeper cannot wear any garment
            or use any contrivance that would provide undue assistance in keeping
            goal. Aprons or webbing extending more than three inches below the
            crotch are not permitted. All inner knee/thigh protection, whether
            attached to the leg pad or not, must be tightly wrapped around the leg.
            Thigh boards are illegal.
            GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Yeah, hence the "obviously not a picture from the game" statement referencing the link.

I can read.
              I know what a thigh board is.
              But I didn't watch the game, so I guess that cancels my right to respond to this thread.

W T F, I'll respond anyway.

When you use a quote to prove a point, you ought to use the entire quote! Your original post says: "Obviously not a picture from the game, but his setup was identical." Then you use just the first part of your quote in a sarcastic slam back at others.

Bad form.
              Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                I can read.
                I know what a thigh board is.
                But I didn't watch the game, so I guess that cancels my right to respond to this thread.

W T F, I'll respond anyway.

When you use a quote to prove a point, you ought to use the entire quote! Your original post says: "Obviously not a picture from the game, but his setup was identical." Then you use just the first part of your quote in a sarcastic slam back at others.

Bad form.
                The fact that the goaltender was using the same pad/thigh board setup in the game as in the picture, has no relevance to the fact that the picture was obviously not from the game in question...which I had already pointed out.

Therefore; what wasn't relevant, wasn't included.

But thanks for the worthwhile contribution.

Comment

The fact that the goaltender was using the same pad/thigh board setup in the game as in the picture, has no relevance to the fact that the picture was obviously not from the game in question...which I had already pointed out.

Therefore; what wasn't relevant, wasn't included.

But thanks for the worthwhile contribution.

Big man on campus
                  Great moments...are born from great opportunity.
                  THIS IS BEAVER HOCKEY.

Comment

During the Niagara game, I noticed that goaltender Cameron Talbot was wearing thigh boards with his Bauer pads; it was my understanding that these have been illegal for some time now, as they are in the NHL.
                    I DVR'd the game and just took a quick look, and I do not see thigh boards. I will keep it on for a few minutes to see if there is a better picture. I am also still looking online, a press photo during the game would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
                      I DVR'd the game and just took a quick look, and I do not see thigh boards. I will keep it on for a few minutes to see if there is a better picture. I am also still looking online, a press photo during the game would be better.
                      I just took a look at what was put online; no thigh boards from what I can see either. Can't see any in the picture provided either. Appears to me that Keycube is a troll looking to put doubt into the abilities of Talbot. Nice try... FAIL!

Comment

There is a subtle difference between a thigh board, and a thigh wrap -- boards aren't attached to your thigh with any sort of strap, and thus free float and cover the 5-hole when in the butterfly. Thigh wraps have a strap that wraps around your thigh, preventing lower thigh injuries if a puck gets in between the pants and pad.

Thigh boards are illegal in most major leagues -- thigh wraps are not.

r

Comment

I'm one of the photographers that was at the tournament. I have hundreds of photos from this past weekend's games. Talbot does not wear thigh boards. If I have time later I'll provide a photo from one of the games that should satisfy your insinuation/accusation that he does. Trying to upset the apple cart are we? If he was wearing them don't you think the refs that watch for such equipment would have noticed? Or for that matter, every player and coach on the Niagara bench?
                          Doug
                          UAH 1974
                          Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                          Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                          Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                          Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                          Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                            Trying to upset the apple cart are we? If he was wearing them don't you think the refs that watch for such equipment would have noticed? Or for that matter, every player and coach on the Niagara bench?
                            Conspiracy theories are so much more fun...
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                              Conspiracy theories are so much more fun...
                              Don't you have anything better to do in the off-season than stir the pot? Troublemaker.

sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Working...
                              X