2/26 @Dartmouth 7:00 PM

22 Conference
    4 WCHA
    4 AHA
    3 CCHA
    1 ECAC
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: 2010-11 Schedules

Air Force schedule:
      http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/aut...11schedrelease

As a side note, it looks like the AHA went with an East (Bentley, Holy Cross, AIC, UConn, Sacred Heart, Army) and West (RIT, Canisius, Niagara, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Air Force) split, with teams playing those in their "division" 3 times and the other division twice. Not the easiest for travel, especially in the west, and slightly unbalanced as well.
      2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
      2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
      Air Force Falcons
      2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
      2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
      2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
      2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
      2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
        I don't know if AF has played any school from Hockey East in the regular season.
        2005 Icebreaker vs. Maine. Up by a goal until Todd Anderson started calling phantom checking-from-behind penalties.
        Air Force Falcons

Comment

Originally posted by AFHockeyFan View Post
          Air Force schedule:
          http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/aut...11schedrelease

As a side note, it looks like the AHA went with an East (Bentley, Holy Cross, AIC, UConn, Sacred Heart, Army) and West (RIT, Canisius, Niagara, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Air Force) split, with teams playing those in their "division" 3 times and the other division twice. Not the easiest for travel, especially in the west, and slightly unbalanced as well.
          I find it interesting that AF only has 4 non conference games not counting the Kendall Classic (which I believe don't count towards the 7 OOC games allowed)...
          Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
          College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
          Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
          Men's Frozen Four 2010
          Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
          Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
            I find it interesting that AF only has 4 non conference games not counting the Kendall Classic (which I believe don't count towards the 7 OOC games allowed)...
            CC/DU, the Alaskas and Yale/Clarkson, and only Yale and CC at home.

I don't think we could handle any more! That's probably one of the most competitive non-cons in the country. Three tournament teams from last year, a crosstown rival and perennial power, and another WCHA team on their ice.
            Last edited by AFHockeyFan; 07-06-2010, 04:43 PM.
            Air Force Falcons

Comment

CC/DU, the Alaskas and Yale/Clarkson, and only Yale and CC at home.

I don't think we could handle any more! That's probably one of the most competitive non-cons in the country. Three tournament teams from last year, a crosstown rival and perennial power, and another WCHA team on their ice.
              Imagine playing every WCHA team every year

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
                Imagine playing every WCHA team every year
                Almost as hard to imagine as a WCHA roster filled with only Americans, every player staying for a full four years, then agreeing to serve in the military for five years after that!
                Air Force Falcons

Comment

Almost as hard to imagine as a WCHA roster filled with only Americans, every player staying for a full four years, then agreeing to serve in the military for five years after that!
                  Why would I want to imagine that? That sounds depressing.

Comment

On that subject, imagine having a crappy team in the WCHA and getting the crap kicked out of you every game and then graudating only to work in fast food for your life.

Yes... it must suck to be UAA.

Comment

I wasn't saying anything about the difficulty of the schedule. It will be a tough schedule, no doubt, for an AHA team. Good luck to Air Force in those games. I was just saying that they had the ability to schedule 3 more games...and didn't. That is what surprises me..
                      Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                      College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                      Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                      Men's Frozen Four 2010
                      Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                      Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player.php?pid=2046&gender=m
                        http://www.uscho.com/stats/player.php?pid=9055&gender=m

Also, after 2 years, kids are free to leave and not have to commit to the 5 years. After talking to Frank Serratore (on many occasions), one of the biggest things he always talked about was getting his So. to come back for the Jr. year, because then he knew he had them for all 4 years.

In other words, if they can get in to the AFA, they can commit to 1 or 2 years and then go on and play pro (just like they could at Harvard, Cornell, MTU, etc.). Now, that may not be the "Air Force hockey" way, but it is an option...
                        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                        ECAC:
                        HEA: UMass
                        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

[T]hey had the ability to schedule 3 more games...and didn't. That is what surprises me..
                          I'm always surprised when teams don't schedule the full set.

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                          Also, after 2 years, kids are free to leave and not have to commit to the 5 years.

...In other words, if they can get in to the AFA, they can commit to 1 or 2 years and then go on and play pro (just like they could at Harvard, Cornell, MTU, etc.).
                          Or transfer.
                          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I wasn't saying anything about the difficulty of the schedule. It will be a tough schedule, no doubt, for an AHA team. Good luck to Air Force in those games. I was just saying that they had the ability to schedule 3 more games...and didn't. That is what surprises me..
                            I didn't see a whole lot of "empty" holes on the schedule. There's the one Sunday game at Bobby Mo that could have had another (already playing everyone else in the area), the Halloween weekend, and the holiday break (two finals weekends and Christmas weekend). There are already 8 trips on the schedule (7 to the East Coast and one to Alaska) so, short of getting someone to come out to Colorado, I'm not sure what else they could have done. There's no break during the second half (in years past they've had the President's day weekend) and only 4 weekends off October through March.

With the schedule difficulty they have, and the travel, I think they're justified in not filling every available slot (with Halloween weekend really being the only one available). I'm sure Frank would rather move one of the second half series to October, but, since those are all conference games, I'm guessing he didn't have the chance.
                            Air Force Falcons

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                              In other words, if they can get in to the AFA, they can commit to 1 or 2 years and then go on and play pro (just like they could at Harvard, Cornell, MTU, etc.). Now, that may not be the "Air Force hockey" way, but it is an option...
                              True, and even if that was acceptable to the program, it probably wouldn't fly with the administration. Since it costs the taxpayers over six figures per year for one cadet, the admissions folks aren't too keen on those who want to "try it out" for a couple of years and see how they like it. Sure, the option is there, and it does happen, but kids who don't at least have an interest in a military career aren't likely to get very far in the admissions process. (and probably won't even sit down with Frank or Andy a second time) Unlike some other schools in the area, Air Force is focused on recruiting and graduating students for careers other than hockey. It could happen for an exceptional talent (Greg Flynn played with the Lowell Devils last year) but it's pretty unusual.
                              Air Force Falcons

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                                Or transfer.
                                Or
                                http://www.uscho.com/stats/player.ph...13251&gender=m
                                Or
                                http://www.uscho.com/stats/player.ph...15679&gender=m
                                Or
                                http://www.uscho.com/stats/player.ph...14306&gender=m
                                Or
                                http://www.uscho.com/stats/player.ph...13250&gender=m

It's not for everyone. And three of those guys left during or after their first year, and ice time was also an issue.
                                Air Force Falcons

Comment

Working...
                                X