Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

[QUOTE=Gurtholfin;4726515]Well, it is becoming a point of emphasis in youth hockey. We saw lots of these calls made and the kids finally started to realize that they cannot check and finish with their hands/elbows up or extended.

There were also times where the contact was called and it was simply a result of the size differential between the two players. It's always been that way in youth hockey though that the bigger kids will get called for clean hits on smaller kids. At the Peewee level you've got 5'8" 150 lbs going against 4'3" 70 lbs.

Whatever happened to a good welll placed hip check you controll the body and the puck because your not making your arms ineffective by using your shoulders.You also cut down on shoulder separations and unless the guy is laying on the ice it's pretty hard to hit his head with your hip.My kid took out a guy with a perfect hip check in a game the ref had never seen one and called him for tripping.I got a picture of the hip to hip contact and almost got tossed when I showed him the pic.Go figure
    The West is the Best: Jim Morrison and the Doors from The End

Comment

I was stuck in Milwaukee ( ) longer than I thought I'd be and missed 2 1/2 periods. (I DVRd the game & watched when I got home). The worst part of it was, no radio station in Milwaukee had the game and I didn't have access to a TV. On my way home, I picked up WIBA just a little west of Lake Mills.

Hey Milwaukee (sports media), once MCRJr gets his degree, I hope you break off of WI and float south. Brutal.

I agree with the posters; some of those penalties were quite confusing. Where was the crew from (HE?), I didn't catch any names? I know the NCAA doesn't think like this, but UW vs SCSU should have had WCHA refs just for familiarity.

The Huskies 3rd goal made the game closer than it should have been. Goody looked like he anticipated the pass, shifted to his right and it "snuck" in short side; great shot by Mosey.

Overall, pretty good effort! 2 more boys!
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

So why do they take a week off, do we really need that? I think we are on a roll right now, and would love the frozen four to be this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
          So why do they take a week off, do we really need that? I think we are on a roll right now, and would love the frozen four to be this weekend.
          They take the week off so they don't conflict with the Final Four. That's a good thing, it actually allows hockey to get a little love from ESPN and whatnot.
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

RIT is on a roll right now also and it might not be the worst thing to let them think about the stage that they are about to be on.

Comment

For the fans who want to go to the F4, it is nice to have the two weeks off to plan and recover from the trip to the regionals (if one was made). It is hard to make a trip to the conference tournament, regonals, and then the F4 is consecutive weeks.

Comment

Good game by your boys last night, and good luck to you the rest of the way. I got to see the last 5 of the 6 games between these two teams live, and they were pretty evenly matched, you guys just outplayed us when it mattered most. Take down a NC for the WCHA.
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by AsAlwaysGoRed View Post
                  Didn't get a chance to see any of the game but was glad to hear we won.

I am not sure about this questions so can some one please let me know.

What's are chances of beating RIT? I know UW can beat any team but the way they have been playing lately and the way RIT has been playing as of late, who do you think will win? Honestly???
                  I don't think anyone knows what to expect out of RIT. Looking at their roster they're an old group. only 3 89 birthdates that I saw, and a few 24-year old players I assume aged out of Junior A. A lot of Canadians on the team.

The coach is from Bowling Green (alum) I'm not sure if he played on or coached for that NCAA title team as I don't recall off-hand what year they won it all.

regardless, at this point UW needs to bring their "A" game to win.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    A lot of Canadians on the team.
                    Yeah, no ****! 17 out of 25 on the roster are Canucks and a Fin! Hey mix in an American, eh?
                    RIT is on a roll and apparently peaking. The off weekend should give Eaves and company time to break down video and figure them out.

"Number seven will be heaven".
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      Yeah, no ****! 17 out of 25 on the roster are Canucks and a Fin! Hey mix in an American, eh?
                      RIT is on a roll and apparently peaking. The off weekend should give Eaves and company time to break down video and figure them out.

"Number seven will be heaven".

I didn't catch their games so I'm not sure how they clobbered UNH so badly but you're right, the week off will give Eaves/Osiecki time to prepare.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        I didn't catch their games so I'm not sure how they clobbered UNH so badly but you're right, the week off will give Eaves/Osiecki time to prepare.
                        Playing both Denver and UNH will help UW break down the match-up. They also played two against Mankato earlier in the season.

Comment

Wow! What a weekend!

My thoughts:

-It was my first trip to the XCEL and I have to say, it is a very nice arena. I really liked the setup and concourse. However, the attendance there was overly disappointing. I understand UMn is not in it but that place was EMPTY.

-Wisconsin did what they needed to do against SCSU, get an early lead. We need to continue this in the FF. I think Scott is a solid goaltender but his rebound control scares me ALOT and really only feel comfortable with a two goal lead.

-My seats were really good, 6th row and experienced a once in a lifetime experience. Walking into the first game...I noticed our seats were next to the one and only PHIL! I was so excited and enjoyed having conversations with the legend over the weekend. All the canned music was really annoying though and he was pretty peeved . I thought in the regional in Madison two years back they allowed the bands to play during breaks...

-Overall, the opposing fans this weekend were very nice and I had a lot of fun jabbing back and forth. There was, however, one ******* for Vermont right behind their bench that was the loudest and quite possibly most idiotic hockey fan I have ever met.

-This year I have been relatively harsh regarding Mitchell's play...but man, he really stepped up this weekend. He had a couple of iffy penalties but he really came through in the clutch. Having him on a line with Podge really helped and I really liked their play all weekend. As always, Blake was a beast and McD showed, yet again, why he is going to be playing in the NHL next year. The reffing was, in my mind, terrible for all teams and all games. I disagreed with most of the calls but the real problem was the lack of consistency. It is an amazing feat to get me to miss having WCHA refs!

-As for the blackout game...I was there for that weekend. As a student now, I have spread the word .

One, Two, Three, Four, Five Six, WE WANT MORE!
                          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Re: Hits to the head.

I've always hated hearing the "Keep Your Head Up" response to every dirty head check that makes national news. That said, it was exactly what I thought when Brendan got called for it on Friday. The kid was skating with his head down, looking at the puck. Brendan hit him directly from the front. Didn't leave his feet or get his hands or elbows up. The kid ran head first into his elbow. I don't think there was any way to make a hit that wouldn't have been penalized there. I think the NHL got the basics of the rule right. Draw a circle around the head. 60 degrees to the left or right of the "victim's" nose (if he's looking straight ahead) should be considered a clean hit as long as the arms stay down. Anything else should be a penalty & possible suspension, depending on severity.

Just my $.02 as a fan who's never played the game, but has watched it for at least 28 of my 33 years on the planet.

Comment

Great job by the Badger 'student section' and band. You guys made the weekend really enjoyable, even after NMU's loss.

Congrats to the team, you earned it this weekend.
                              Embrace the hate.

Comment

Anyone hear of any details about any sort of fan bus going from Madison?

Comment

Working...
                                X