Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
    I think John Cooper is a great candidate if you are going to hire from the Junior ranks. He has been a winner everywhere he has gone. Sorry GBPF, but if OSU doesn't look at Cooper they haven't done their homework.
    A coach with a name like that ought to get us a lot of wins over Michigan!

Comment

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
      I think John Cooper is a great candidate if you are going to hire from the Junior ranks. He has been a winner everywhere he has gone. Sorry GBPF, but if OSU doesn't look at Cooper they haven't done their homework.
      I didn't say he wouldn't make a great coach or be a solid hire. I just said you can't have him.
      St. Norbert College Green Knights
      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      ---
      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

• Ohio State Next Coach?

My list would include Casey Jones, Brian McCloskey (UNH Women's Coach),
        Brian Durocher (BU Woman's coach), and Mike Hastings who had years of success in the USHL before returning to the college ranks).

Comment

Here's the posting and requirements:

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=3327783

Bachelor’s degree and previous coaching experience at the intercollegiate level required. Master’s degree and competitive college experience preferred. Candidates should have a significant understanding of and experience working with NCAA rules and regulations and a commitment to academic excellence. Candidates should have strong organizational and administrative skills as well as an ability to interact effectively with staff, student-athletes, media and the public. This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
            Here's the posting and requirements:

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=3327783
            The description also states that the candidate teaches the "fundamentals" of hockey. At the level we want to be at, I suggest that someone be able to teach a little more than the fundamentals!!

Comment

19 days left to apply.

Comment

While we wait for the coaching situation to play out, any word on Dalpe or others who may be leaving early?
                'Must win? World War Two was a must win.' - Marv Levy

Comment

Originally posted by Bleachered View Post
                  While we wait for the coaching situation to play out, any word on Dalpe or others who may be leaving early?
                  dalpe and bishop have left.

Comment

Geof!! Good to see you in here man. I was at those two UAH/OSU games. I was rooting hard for the Chargers. I even met a few UAH fans who made the trip up. Scotty Munroe shut down the Buckeyes that night. It was awesome to see.

OSU is crazy to think Blasi would leave Miami. The hockey culture at Miami is tenfold what it is at OSU. Trust me, I've been here at OSU for almost 5 years. The only time the guys get a big crowd at the Schott is if Michigan, Sparty, or some other big program is in town. Although, I haven't been to many of the men's games, so I can't judge this for myself really. But I do know the athletic department made it so if you had your BuckID, you could get into the game for free. So all students could get in free. You'd have to look up the attendance for this season to see if it made a difference.

While I think bringing in a head coach who is a big name will appeal to those educated hockey fans, the majority of the people in the greater Columbus area won't know the difference. While hockey is growing and gaining a nice niche in C-bus, the bottom line is football is king. And in the Schott, basketball and making money is king. So that's why the boys get kicked over to the minuscule OSU Ice Rink every once in a while. And while the OSU Ice Rink was my home when I was playing, it's not a rink for a men's D1 program. The D1 women's team gets some crowds there that fill up the place though. What the university should do is build a hockey-only arena like Ridder or Marriuci at UofMinnesota. I was recently in Minneapolis and was awed by Ridder. Didn't get inside Marriuci but I've seen pictures.

Now, this may sound weird or unorthodox, but what about building a two ice surface arena. On one side, you have the smaller arena for the women, seating around 1,200. On the other side, you have the larger arena for the men seating around 7-8K or even 10K if you want. Build nice locker rooms and weight rooms and give the coaches nice offices and build in a few lounges for the players. Put in concessions and press boxes and bam!. lol. And for more revenue, put the local high school and junior team championships and stuff on that ice. I know the AAA Junior Jackets play at Nationwide. That can't be cheap. There is plenty of land around the campus to find a place to put an arena like this. And while I absolutely love the OSU Ice Rink, let's face it. The place is ancient. The locker rooms are downstairs and tiny.

Another thing is to completely overhaul the marketing of hockey at OSU. Like I said, football is king and that will never change. With both basketball teams' successes lately, I can't see hockey knocking basketball from the #2 spot. Allowing students to get in with their student id's was a great idea. I'm not a marketing person, but just getting more exposure for the team and getting the name out there would help. So would winning lol so I hope whoever they hire can turn the team around.
                    "Great moments are born from great opportunities." -- Herb Brooks

Ohio State Women's Club Hockey

Comment

Cammie has some great insights, especially when it comes to the marketing being totally overhauled. Get the players some more exposure in the community, there are enough characters on any hockey team, showcase some of those personalities. If youth hockey is growing in Columbus then why not get the players out in front of those groups or on the ice with them, they do it in juniors. She also spoke of a hockey only building and putting in a second sheet of ice and opening up to the youth hockey...this would certainly get more of those hockey families on campus. Get in front of the alumni groups to promote coming to the games and more nights or weekends like Military Appreciation.

Back to the coaching search. I have heard from a very reliable source that there are several excellent candidates that have already been contacted. Once the filing deadline gets here I would think more info will surface.

Comment

Cammie, enjoy your thoughts on the subject of OSU hockey. In regard to Blasi, I agree that he is not going to leave Miami, but I believe the athletic department should ask and make him say no. At this point, with attendance being as low as it has been in a long time (think the season average was listed as 3,096), the athletic department has to show the fans that they are serious about bringing in the best possible coach to get this program to the next level. As for the culture/crowds, I think you'll see the fans come back when we put a championship-caliber program on the ice. In regard to football being king, that will always be the case. Men's basketball will always be #2. I believe if we put a championship-caliber hockey program on the ice, coupled with your ideas on the marketing of this team, men's hockey could occupy that #3 spot, which wouldn't be a bad thing. As for our venue, I have always felt there was nothing wrong with the Schott, but OTOH, I really like your idea of having a Mariucci/Ridder thing where we build a new facility with ice arenas for both teams. I think 9,000 or 10,000 for the men's arena and 2,000 or 3,000 for the women's arena would be about right. Heck, at this point, I would settle for one arena for both of them, even though the women probably wouldn't need 9,000 seats. Even in these economic times, I think the university could have a fundraising campaign and get that done. I would donate or buy a brick or something if they wanted to build a new ice arena.

HckyDoc, I like your statement about hockey kids being "characters." Mrs 86 and I have been to a couple of the hockey banquets, and though they play a rough game on the ice, off the ice they are some of the nicest, most polite kids you could meet. Some of them are pretty funny, too. I think it would be a great idea to get them out into the community so folks could put a face with the name and the uniform number. And needless to say, I am happy to know that several excellent candidates have been contacted. Keep us posted if you hear anything further about the coaching search! Can't wait to hear who we bring in. Do you think we will see any further player attrition or will it just be Dalpe and Bishop who leave?

Comment

Originally posted by ithacat View Post
                          Yes, there's nothing else to do in Ithaca but watch hockey. You only needed 20 minutes watching Cornell - Quinnipiac to figure that out. Schafer and Jones are not worthy of Bucky's consideration. I suggest you look at Appert or Leaman, if you're looking for an ECAC coach.
                          Can't believe they wouldn't jump on the chance to hire Schafer if he was available........and I highly doubt that he is. His track record is remarkably consistent. I think his style of hockey, while boring to some, would translate well in the CCHA or any conference for that matter. I don't think it's boring to win consistently and with scholarships I think he's be able to recruit a little more offensive flair (ie having a couple more of the Riley Nash style players alongside of the Collin Greening style players) to go with the size that he always seeks. I'm biased of course but I can't believe that he'd leave the good situation that he has OR that OSU wouldn't want to bring someone like Schafer on board.
                          Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
                          I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

I know that to a buckeye, you really could care less how a Wolverine fan feels about you guys, but I gotta say one thing.

Blasi- if you guys go after him, I think that is just telling the hockey community that you have NO idea how to fix your own program the right way, and that you'll do the precieved easy thing to fix it. I honestly think it would be a HUGE mistake on your part to do that. This boat isn't going to turn around over night, and just ASKING Blasi is telling the coaching candidates that you want instant success, and that anything less means a short stay in Columbus. I know you WANT to be CCHA champs next year, but be realistic, and look at Notre Dame- even one of the best coaches who has ever stood behind students can have bad years. Time, conisitent recruiting pipelines, and community support is what it takes.

It's too bad that Markell wasn't able to finish what he started- as much as I hate OSU, I have to give him a lot of credibility in turning around a pretty dead program in the mid 90s.

BTW, having played as a mite and a squirt in CAHA, I find it interesting to hear that hockey is still growing a niche in Columbus.... 35 years after I played there, and 20 years after a friend of mine played there. With the Horseshoe- it's going to ALWAYS be an uphill battle. (and my claim to fame- not only did I play in the old rink, I met Woody Hayes at an OSU hockey game when I was a kid, my bro got his autograph- he was good to kids, even if we were under the infuence of that school up north)

Comment

I like the idea of getting the boys out into the community more. I helped out a goalie camp at one of the Chiller Rinks. Former OSU goalie Dave Caruso was running it and a few of the guys were out helping him. That's a start. I don't know how much community stuff the guys do, but the girls do a lot. The go read to kids, help out at soup kitchens, etc. And there are a lot of little girls and their families in the stands for their games. The girls also do a "Skate with the Buckeyes" after their second game. There are always a ton of kids out there for that.
                              "Great moments are born from great opportunities." -- Herb Brooks

Ohio State Women's Club Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by CammieBuckeye View Post
                                I like the idea of getting the boys out into the community more. I helped out a goalie camp at one of the Chiller Rinks. Former OSU goalie Dave Caruso was running it and a few of the guys were out helping him. That's a start. I don't know how much community stuff the guys do, but the girls do a lot. The go read to kids, help out at soup kitchens, etc. And there are a lot of little girls and their families in the stands for their games. The girls also do a "Skate with the Buckeyes" after their second game. There are always a ton of kids out there for that.
                                Is there still an OSU Summer Hockey School? That helps, too. When I had hockey school back in '77, it was staffed by current players.

Comment

Working...
                                X