Mom Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom Hockey

I know this is not College Hockey releated, but it's almost the off-season, and a little publicity can't hurt:

By RANDY BOOTH
    sports@fosters.com
    rbooth@fosters.com

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

DOVER — Janet Gnall breathes heavily and is red in the face after an exhausting hour-and-a-half hockey practice. But she can't rest up too long because she's running late.

"Now I'm pulling the mommy thing," Gnall said, "because I have to go to my son's first-grade classroom and read."

Gnall isn't alone. She is one of many in a growing group of women (mostly mothers) who travel to Dover Ice Arena on Tuesday mornings to participate in a new program specifically designed for women interested in learning how to play hockey.

The idea was spurred by Janet Casselman, who saw a similar program start up in Exeter. Casselman and other hockey moms began talking at their children's games about the possibilities of getting themselves on the ice.

"All our kids play together and I thought, 'Why don't we play and join them?'" she said.

The idea didn't take long to become tangible. Casselman approached Ray Pasquale, an instructor at the Dover Arena, with the idea. He told her to find a few more women who would participate to get the ball rolling, which didn't prove hard at all for Casselman.

"During the day there's a lot of stay-at-home moms that could do this," she said. "It's great exercise and it's $10. There's no commitment, which is great for moms as well."

The program has had just two practices, but it is growing as more women commit to playing. Casselman said there have been more than 10 women interested, with more showing interest as word of the program spreads. There is no age requirement for joining the program. Currently, the ages range from 20 to 50 years old.

For both Gnall and Casselman, a big positive to learning the game is giving them something to talk to their family about around the dinner table.

"If you don't join them, then you don't have anything to talk to your kids about," Gnall said. "So I figured if my boys and my husband are playing hockey, then why don't I do it so they can still talk to me?"

Practices consist of skills training, positioning and general learning of the game of hockey. Each practice concludes with a scrimmage where the women can put their new skills to test. Practices are held 8:30-10 a.m. every Tuesday.

"There are many positives to joining the program," Gnall said, "but maybe the best is being able to break up the everyday routine of being a mother.

"The only thing you're thinking about is skating and hockey when you're out here," she said. "Your brain just detaches from your every day, so it's kind of nice. It's a little break."

Participants currently bring their own equipment to use at practice, but Pasquale said there is some equipment available to use at the arena, if necessary. He said he hopes to have a basic package available next year for women without the necessary gear to start.

Casselman said her perspective of watching her children play hockey has changed now that she's spent time on the ice.

"I'm much gentler on my children now," she said. "I get it. I don't criticize after games, I just go with it. I can see what they're thinking when they're on the ice now. Whereas before I was like, 'Why aren't you over there?'"

Despite the differences in skills among the women, as some are a little more advanced than others, Casselman said there's no issue meshing everyone together.

"There's a great camaraderie with the women," she said. "We do nothing but laugh. Nobody judges anyone."

Maybe the bigger question is this — of all the sports that exist, why hockey? These women could be playing basketball, tennis, racquetball or anything else, but they choose to lace up the skates and take a bruising, too, even if checking isn't allowed.

"I'm Canadian," Casselman said with a laugh, "so I've got to be in the rink. It's in the blood."

The players and Pasquale hope that the program is so successful that it can lead into a team of women that plays in tournaments. For now, though, they're just enjoying their time breaking the old stereotype of a stay-at-home mom.

"We call ourselves stay-at-home moms, but we're very rarely there," Gnall said. "I don't think any of us wear pearls and dresses at home."

Casselman cut in — "No perfume allowed."
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Re: Mom Hockey

The phenomina of Mothers Learning the Great game has been going on for years up here in the land of Hockey.

Just check the logo on this site for comic relief:
    http://www.gdfpro.com/
    http://www.gdfpro.com/HockeyClinics.htm

Run by a former OHL player who's daughter played hockey for years.

P.S....To DC...The daughter of this guy was for years a team mate of Bre the D.
    Last edited by OnMAA; 03-16-2010, 08:39 AM.

Comment

When I moved to NJ, I was really impressed by the number and quality of developmental women’s teams in the greater Philadelphia area. I have met some truly wonderful and inspiring women who picked up hockey later in life. Whether they wanted to check out the sport that their kids were playing or were just looking to try something different, these women are out there to learn and have fun.

For anyone in NJ/PA/DE who might be interested, check out the UWHL website. There’s a wide variety of teams at various skill levels spread throughout the area. They even put together a 50-and-over team last spring.

www.uwhl.org

For more competitive play, the Mid-Atlantic Women’s Hockey League stretches from northern NJ down to DC and includes senior B, C, and D teams. There’s also the NJ Colonials Senior A team.

www.mawhl.org
      www.njcolonials.net - The Senior A team doesn't have it's own page, but Shelley Looney runs the team.

Comment

The Women's game is alive and well in Western Canada as well. The Southern Alberta Women's Hockey Association (SAWHA).

This program which started with 6 teams for women 18 years and older has been active since the 77/78 season. It has grown over the years and now boasts 34 teams in 4 tiers today. Tier 1 consists of a number of ladies that played hockey at the college and university level who have moved back to their hometowns and cities and continue to have the desire to play the game at a competative level. SAWHA then tiers down to allow for hockey to be played for the fun and enjoyment of women of all ages who either want to learn the game or continue to play at a level consistant with their particular skill level or time commitment constraints.

With names like the Black Widows, Siren's, Msconducts and Rivulettes these ladies mean business and it is encouraging to know there are avenues for players to continue to play the game they love.

For anyone in the area that may read this and be interested in learning more about SAWHA please visit their website at http://www.sawha.com/index.cfm for more information.
        Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 03-16-2010, 11:40 PM. Reason: anditis

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
          The Women's game is alive and well in Western Canada as well. The Southern Alberta Women's Hockey Association (SAWHA).

This program which started with 6 teams for women 18 years and older has been active since the 77/78 season and has grown over the years and now boasts 34 teams in 4 tiers today. Tier 1 consists of a number of ladies that played hockey at the college and university level who have moved back to their hometowns and cities and continue to have the desire to play the game at a competative level. SAWHA then tiers down to allow for hockey to be played for the fun and enjoyment of women of all ages who either want to learn the game or continue to play at a level consistant with their particular skill level or time commitment constraints.

With names like the Black Widows, Siren's, Msconducts and Rivulettes these ladies mean business and it is encouraging to know there are avenues for players to continue to play the game they love.

For anyone in the area that may read this and be interested in learning more about SAWHA please visit their website at http://www.sawha.com/index.cfm for more information.

Hey 5-4, what happened to the Oval Extreme? Why did they fold? It would be great for AAA level of hockey if Calgary still had a high performance team. It was a great loss when they folded. Was it $$$?

Are they expecting to re-group with another team at that level any time soon?

I'm concerned with the CWHL as well. The Ottawa team in particular seems vulnerable to something similar. This is a fragile league and the economy has not helped.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
            Hey 5-4, what happened to the Oval Extreme? Why did they fold? It would be great for AAA level of hockey if Calgary still had a high performance team. It was a great loss when they folded. Was it $$$?

I'm concerned with the CWHL as well. The Ottawa team in particular seems vulnerable to something similar. This is a fragile league and the economy has not helped.
            While Senior AAA is a challenge to keep going, AA and Single A senior leagues are rampant. Lets face it many ex college players move on, but many also still like to play once or twice a week, without the rigors of the commitment required for the AAA teams. Those are the players that end up on those AA and A teams. They have their husbands in the stands taking care of the young ones while they play. I think that is just great. (And I'm male).

Comment

This program which started with 6 teams for women 18 years and older has been active since the 77/78 season. It has grown over the years and now boasts 34 teams in 4 tiers today. Tier 1 consists of a number of ladies that played hockey at the college and university level who have moved back to their hometowns and cities and continue to have the desire to play the game at a competative level. SAWHA then tiers down to allow for hockey to be played for the fun and enjoyment of women of all ages who either want to learn the game or continue to play at a level consistant with their particular skill level or time commitment constraints.

This sounds quite a bit like the North Shore Women's League based primarily out of Marlboro, MA. While a number of us former collegiate players made the 2 hour one way trip each Sunday for years from NH to play. we've since formed teams closer to home and have schedules against each other, although we haven't formed a league (lots of work there!)

We play in tournaments all over NH, and in fact, will be in one next weekend in Wolfboro, and are very likely to come up against one of our northern nemisis, Le Lion Du Nord

I am happy not just to see the growth in the area, but the good publicity these women are getting for deciding to take on the challenge . I've found that many of these older beginers have an athletic past, and pick up the game pretty quickly.
              "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Nobody seems to know a lot about what will happen with the O Ex. Kinda up in the air right now. I know they lost a sponsor as well their funding through the Olympic Oval and that brought them to a rather abrupt halt.

Given the keen interest in the Calgary Hockey Community however we are all confident that someone will step up to the plate and resurrects the franchise in one way, shape or form. There`s too many future, current and ex Olympians living in and around the area not to be able to field a viable team.

Maybe you could send a little of that cash you`ve got hid in your mattress Seymore and bankroll them. Golf every other day instead of once a day and own a women`s hockey team...right up your alley.

Comment

Maybe you could send a little of that cash you`ve got hid in your mattress Seymore and bankroll them. Golf every other day instead of once a day and own a women`s hockey team...right up your alley.
                  OMG...can you imagine!! You cold be my GM. Could I get a private box at the CaddleDome? Stock it with Kokanee...!!!

BTW, don't start any fires this weekend in Calgary...all the hockey playing FF'ers are in Red Deer at the Cdn FF Hockey Tournament...100 FF teams...packed in one bar!!! Scary!!

Comment

OMG...can you imagine!! You cold be my GM. Could I get a private box at the CaddleDome? Stock it with Kokanee...!!!

BTW, don't start any fires this weekend in Calgary...all the hockey playing FF'ers are in Red Deer at the Cdn FF Hockey Tournament...100 FF teams...packed in one bar!!! Scary!!
                    1) I can't work for you.

2) I Can't get you a box at the Caddledome..they don't let Easteners in there.

3) I can get you a private box at the Elmira Domes however...

Who's feeding all the Dalmations while these guys are away?

Comment

3) I can get you a private box at the Elmira Domes however...
                      Does this come with a hazmat suit and a flashlight??

Comment

Does this come with a hazmat suit and a flashlight??
                        No...but I might be able to negotiate a dome dog with meat per game for you and your friends. So let's see..ya one dome dog with meat per game. You'll only need one chair in the box as well....right?

Lemeknow...OK? I'll make it happen for you pal.

Comment

No...but I might be able to negotiate a dome dog with meat per game for you and your friends. So let's see..ya one dome dog with meat per game. You'll only need one chair in the box as well....right?

Lemeknow...OK? I'll make it happen for you pal.
                          EWWW....gross...Ever wonder why there's no dogs or cats around da dome?? Give me some Alberta beef any time..!!!

Comment

EWWW....gross...Ever wonder why there's no dogs or cats around da dome?? Give me some Alberta beef any time..!!!
                            I noticed they called the same meat dog's "Michigans" when we were up at Stafford last... handing platty their arse.

You all come up and I'll get you some Certified AAA Alberta Barley fed Beef. You'll never go back to that corn fed crap you eat back home....

Comment

I noticed they called the same meat dog's "Michigans" when we were up at Stafford last... handing platty their arse.

You all come up and I'll get you some Certified AAA Alberta Barley fed Beef. You'll never go back to that corn fed crap you eat back home....
                              1. Never eat anything from Stafford...or from that renovated nuclear dump you guys "play" out of... on second thought...YOU can eat everything...and lots of it.
                              2. Be careful...I was born and raised on a very large beef operation...so don't get too cocky... Alberta beef isn't as great as you might claim.
                              3. Why are we talking about beef????

Comment

Working...
                              X