PDA

View Full Version : Quinnipiac Bobcats 2010 Offseason

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

MCL298
04-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Thing about the midseason lull is that it happens EVERY season. Like clockwork. This is the main reason I think talk about Rand's performance is warranted. It's clear we were doing a lot of great things early in the season and other teams adjusted. When we were faced with adjusting to those things we didn't and thus the long slide from No. 4 in the country to mid-table ECAC.

Point is, if it was just this year. Ok. But its the same storyline each year. It's frustrating.

I agree 100%. This year i thought it was brutal! not winning a game from Dec. 12th against AIC to Feb. 6th at home against Colgate.

I hope next season the trend does not repeat but if it does i will remain optimistic and hope each game is the start of the team turning it around.

MarkEagleUSA
04-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Thing about the midseason lull is that it happens EVERY season. Like clockwork. This is the main reason I think talk about Rand's performance is warranted.When we were 13-1 to start the season were you guys ready to nominate Rand for coach of the year?

I guess I just look at this from a different point of view. The season was successful overall, as has every season since joining the ECAC. Granted it could have been much better, but the team did rebound in time to get home ice in the playoffs and played well in the post season. Coaching most certainly had a part in that.

I still think we need to give Rand 2 or 3 more seasons to put together a consistent contender. Remember, this years juniors and seniors were likely recruited before the Bank opened so it was probably this years sophomores that were the first recruiting class to see the Bank in use when they visited campus. Obviously this years freshmen diplayed a lot more talent than we initially thought they would so the coach and his staff are doing something right. Prior to that all Pecknold had was some fancy architectural drawings and a construction site to show potential players. He now has the full complement of tools at his disposal and we need to give him time to see if he can make them work to our advantage.

Quinn57
04-28-2010, 07:14 PM
"When we were 13-1 to start the season were you guys ready to nominate Rand for coach of the year?"

Absolutely. But in the same misguided way that I'm getting excited about the Mets stringing together some wins. Plenty of games left to prove me right/wrong.

Not willing to look for it but after the good start, I made a point to credit Rand for preparing our freshmen so well. I don't think anyone in their right mind can say he has anything but a fine record with extracting some good seasons out of first years.

I'm not saying he should be fired at all. I just think we may be justified in asking more of our team given certain advantages we enjoy. When the coach is the constant year on year, the blame (and credit) falls to him.

Any luck on the RugBandit identity? Shouldn't be hard to track down a list of Bobcats to play AHL. If he'd like to ID himself, that'd be welcome too.

MinniQUFan
04-29-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm not saying he should be fired at all. I just think we may be justified in asking more of our team given certain advantages we enjoy. When the coach is the constant year on year, the blame (and credit) falls to him.

Any luck on the RugBandit identity? Shouldn't be hard to track down a list of Bobcats to play AHL. If he'd like to ID himself, that'd be welcome too.

Pretty much my stance on our favorite issue. Ha, once upon a time I had similar feelings toward Bud Fisher though... and we know how that turned out. I promise though I won't start to sound like rugbandit!

Speaking of which... there can't be too long a list of QU players to play in the AHL... especially going back more than a couple years. Though unfortunately I don't care that much to do the research. :)

QuRugBandit44
04-30-2010, 07:42 AM
MarkEagleUSA,

Any season that doesn't result in a birth to the NCAA Tournament is a failure, period.

-QURugbandit

ZYanksRule
04-30-2010, 08:27 AM
MarkEagleUSA,

Any season that doesn't result in a birth to the NCAA Tournament is a failure, period.

-QURugbandit

For the Minnesota's and Michigan's and North Dakota's of the nation, sure.

Not for Quinnipiac. Not for any team in the ECAC. In a league that gets at most 2 bids to the dance, it's not a failure to miss the Tournament. I think a better measure of failure is making it to the ECAC Final Four. If we don't make that, I feel more comfortable calling it a failure.

Quinn57
04-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Like the bullishness RugBandit but for now I agree w/ ZYanks. Lets consistently get to Albany/Atlantic City before we start talking about NCAAs.

To get to ECAC Semis is probably a good yearly goal. Sadly one that may not be achieved due to a midseason slump...

MCL298
04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
MarkEagleUSA,

-QURugbandit

really? is that the team's philosophy? i'm all about aiming high but that seems like a very lofty and almost unrealistic goal.

is the entire season considered a failure if they don't make the NCAA's?

MinniQUFan
04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
For the Minnesota's and Michigan's and North Dakota's of the nation, sure.

Not for Quinnipiac. Not for any team in the ECAC. In a league that gets at most 2 bids to the dance, it's not a failure to miss the Tournament. I think a better measure of failure is making it to the ECAC Final Four. If we don't make that, I feel more comfortable calling it a failure.

Ha, alert the presses... but I'll agree with you on this one ZYanks.

MarkEagleUSA
04-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Any season that doesn't result in a birth to the NCAA Tournament is a failure, period.You've got to be kidding me. Try telling that any of the 42 programs that don't make it every year.

By your logic Union's season was a failure and Yale and Cornell had success because they made the sweet 16?

We are definitely not seeing this from the same point of view.

MinniQUFan
04-30-2010, 02:29 PM
You've got to be kidding me. Try telling that any of the 42 programs that don't make it every year.

By your logic Union's season was a failure and Yale and Cornell had success because they made the sweet 16?

We are definitely not seeing this from the same point of view.

At least we're getting some lively off season discussion to get us through the spring.

Quinn57
04-30-2010, 04:26 PM
^I'm selling tickets and taking bets on the MarkEagle/QURugbandit death match in the Bank parking lot later this summer. Any takers?

MarkEagleUSA
04-30-2010, 04:27 PM
At least we're getting some lively off season discussion to get us through the spring.Yeah but sometimes silence is golden! :p

MarkEagleUSA
04-30-2010, 04:28 PM
^I'm selling tickets and taking bets on the MarkEagle/QURugbandit death match in the Bank parking lot later this summer. Any takers?I'm too old to fight... :o

starlessixisky
04-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Really?
Developing a team mentality (rather than every man for himself attitude), integrating 13 new freshmen, overcoming numerous injuries, battling through the longest NCAA Div I game, entering every practice and workout session with intensity, all while taking classes and being enrolled full time at a university, but it all means nothing if you don't make the tournament.
Hmm...what have we been teaching our athletes?

your logic is absolutely absurd. And the way you decide to say things is completely abrasive and rude. You could have easily brought about valid points and been credited with a genuine concern for the program, but you've decided to be nails on the chalkboard, and frankly that is disrespectful and rude.
As a Bobcat fan, I am utterly appalled that we have Alumni out there that act like this. I'm gravely dissapointed that someone can be so negative and vindictive.

QuRugBandit44
05-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Really?
Developing a team mentality (rather than every man for himself attitude), integrating 13 new freshmen, overcoming numerous injuries, battling through the longest NCAA Div I game, entering every practice and workout session with intensity, all while taking classes and being enrolled full time at a university, but it all means nothing if you don't make the tournament.
Hmm...what have we been teaching our athletes?

your logic is absolutely absurd. And the way you decide to say things is completely abrasive and rude. You could have easily brought about valid points and been credited with a genuine concern for the program, but you've decided to be nails on the chalkboard, and frankly that is disrespectful and rude.
As a Bobcat fan, I am utterly appalled that we have Alumni out there that act like this. I'm gravely dissapointed that someone can be so negative and vindictive.

I feel the same way about Rand Peckerhead. He is a cancer.

critsports
05-01-2010, 11:49 AM
I'll render an opinion on the successful season debate.

For me it would encompass some or all of the following:
-20 wins
-Home Ice in the first round of the playoffs
-Better yet a first round bye in the ECAC tournament
-Making it to Albany (or now yuch, Atlantic City)
-In some years where you lose your core or have a lot of new talent coming in a winning record.

For any ECAC team to make the NCAA tournament is a lofty goal. Ideally every team should start out the year wanting to win the whole shooting match.....if not that then get into the tournament as the next goal. But the ECAC is so darn competitive getting into the dance is a rare feat for the majority of the schools.

I think the expectation has to be set by what roster and experience you are dealing with each season.

For us at SLU this was a VERY SUCCESSFUL season that far exceeded expectations. For you guys I'd say you underachieved a bit but with all those freshman on the roster what could be a reasonable expectation??? NCAA tournament was not one of them (in my opinion).

ZYanksRule
05-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I feel the same way about Rand Peckerhead. He is a cancer.

So are you. I'm glad you're not on the team anymore.

MarkEagleUSA
05-01-2010, 01:46 PM
-20 winsYes.

-Home Ice in the first round of the playoffsYes.

-Better yet a first round bye in the ECAC tournamentNo.

-Making it to Albany (or now yuch, Atlantic City)No.

-In some years where you lose your core or have a lot of new talent coming in a winning record.Yes.

3 out of 5 ain't terrible...

For you guys I'd say you underachieved a bit but with all those freshman on the roster what could be a reasonable expectation??? NCAA tournament was not one of them (in my opinion).I respectfully have to disagree with you Mike. I'm not so sure we underachieved but rather overachieved at the start of the season. Nobody saw a 13-1 start... nobody. If we had done that without 13 freshmen then I'd be inclined to say you were correct.

I'll be honest... on December 1st I was thinking about the tourney. Even immediately after the holidays I thought it was still attainable. Of course, we all know how that turned out.

For me, realistic goals for this team would be:

1. First-round bye (only because we haven't done it yet).
2. Get to the championship weekend (again).
3. Win the championship.
4. Get to the NCAA's.

Larson210
05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
MarkEagle are you saying we overachieved overall or just at the start of the season. I don't think I can say this team overachieved overall, mostly because we went 1-11-2 midseason and we all know who that one win was against! Was this a successful season...sure, but it could and I think should have been more successful.