PDA

View Full Version : Quinnipiac Bobcats 2010 Offseason

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16

MarkEagleUSA
05-04-2010, 04:11 PM
MarkEagle are you saying we overachieved overall or just at the start of the season.I think 13-1 to start the season was overachieving mixed in with a lot of really good luck. Overall, we were "fair" with a lot of bad luck.

Was this a successful season...sure, but it could and I think should have been more successful.Could have been? Definitely... any season where you're not undefeated could be better.

Should have been? We finished right where the pre-season coaches poll had us and ahead of where the media picked us. Should we settle for 6th place finishes? No way, but sometimes you just have to play the hand your dealt.

On the other hand, we could have gone undefeated and should have won the national championship! :p

MinniQUFan
05-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Just was looking at that thread on the Top 60 teams of the decade. Does QU really have no wins against Top 10 teams? That doesn't seem right. I didn't continue through the lengthy thread to see if this issue had been addressed. Thought it would be a better conversation to have here anyway.

MarkEagleUSA
05-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Does QU really have no wins against Top 10 teams? That doesn't seem right.I believe that's against the top 10 in that list as opposed to wins against top-10 ranked opponents.

ADK11
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I'll throw in a couple cents on the Pecknold debate:

1) Recent ex-players are typically NOT good unbiased judges of their former coaches. Yes, they are closer to the situation and know (or should know) things about coaches that the rest of us can only guess, but they also have huge vested interests and agendas that often cloud their opinions. This is particularly true at the D-1 level where most players were very successful in preps/juniors and then suddenly have to take subordinate roles (or, GASP!, play defense) in college. Not saying that QuRugBandit may not have some valid points, but I'd bet you can find plenty of other ex-players that would give a different critique.

2) As recently as 3 seasons ago, there were posters popping up on the Union thread that were supposedly "in the know" or "close to the team" who were saying that Leaman was too hard on the players, didn't know how to run the team, unfairly forced players off the team, was giving the school a bad reputation in recruiting circles, and (my personal favorite) was not well liked or respected by the other coaches in the league (like being on Mike Shaffer's Christmas card list makes you a good coach). Now, most Union fans would gladly give Leaman a million dollar salary and put up a statue of him in front of the rink.. amazing what a few wins will do.

3) From having watched what seemed like 10 games worth of Qpac this past season, I don't see how anyone can say that the Bobcats were anything but a skilled, well coached team that played with a lot of heart and determination. Considering the Q had four freshmen starting on defense for most of the season, I would say the inconsistency was not at all surprising. The difference between winning & losing in the ECAC is razor thin and comes down to a handful of key moments in every game, and especially the decision making of the d-men. When the young Bobcat d-men (& goalie) get another season or two experience, would bet that Qpac fans will really have something cheer about.

MinniQUFan
05-05-2010, 01:29 PM
I believe that's against the top 10 in that list as opposed to wins against top-10 ranked opponents.

Oh ok, that makes sense.

MarkEagleUSA
05-05-2010, 03:56 PM
From having watched what seemed like 10 games worth of Qpac this past seasonAnd that was just a little old Friday night game in mid-March, right? :eek: :D

Thanks for your insight ADK. Your comments about Nate are spot on.

And I don't think any coach in the ECAC is on Mike's holiday list! :eek: :p

MarkEagleUSA
05-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Congratulations to all the seniors that will be walking across the stage on Sunday! May your futures be full of promise and happiness! :cool:

Dr. Robert Katz
05-31-2010, 01:17 AM
Am I the only QU fan ****ed off that we don't snag any local talent? I don't want QU to recruit sub-par players, but for so many local boys to other D1 schools, it's just maddening. Off the top of my head I can probably name 10 D1 players in the last 5 years that grew up or went to school within a 20 mile radius of QU and none of them have attended: please forgive some botched spellings

Lee Moffie- Wallingford (Lyman Hall)- Michigan
Joe Pereria- West Haven (WHHS)- BU
Mike Pereria- West Haven (Notre Dame-WH)- Umass
Luke Curadi- ND-WH- RPI
Augie D- West Haven (Avon)- Union
Mark Arcabello- Milford (Prep)- Yale
Matt Generous- Cheshire- St. Lawrence
Jeff Valeca- ND-Ffld- Merimack
Of course John Quick
Unconfirmed- I head Pat McGreggor from Hamden High signed with BU recently.

I know I'm missing about 5 more guys at least, but you get the idea.

yhforlife
05-31-2010, 08:59 AM
and Sean Backman(Yale) and Kenny Trentowski(Yale)

Dr. Robert Katz
05-31-2010, 09:08 AM
and Sean Backman(Yale) and Kenny Trentowski(Yale)

Backman's A greenwich boy, I did think of him but that's a bit far. We have Ketchum from Greenwich but nobody considers him local really.

Dr. Robert Katz
05-31-2010, 09:34 AM
When we were 13-1 to start the season were you guys ready to nominate Rand for coach of the year?

I guess I just look at this from a different point of view. The season was successful overall, as has every season since joining the ECAC. Granted it could have been much better, but the team did rebound in time to get home ice in the playoffs and played well in the post season. Coaching most certainly had a part in that.

I still think we need to give Rand 2 or 3 more seasons to put together a consistent contender. Remember, this years juniors and seniors were likely recruited before the Bank opened so it was probably this years sophomores that were the first recruiting class to see the Bank in use when they visited campus. Obviously this years freshmen diplayed a lot more talent than we initially thought they would so the coach and his staff are doing something right. Prior to that all Pecknold had was some fancy architectural drawings and a construction site to show potential players. He now has the full complement of tools at his disposal and we need to give him time to see if he can make them work to our advantage.

He didn't have the Bank when he recruited the guys who reached the title game in 07, did he?

ZYanksRule
05-31-2010, 09:35 AM
After Augie was thrown out of Union (or something weird happened) he came to QU but couldn't even get on the team.

MarkEagleUSA
05-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Am I the only QU fan ****ed off that we don't snag any local talent? I don't want QU to recruit sub-par players, but for so many local boys to other D1 schools, it's just maddening.Local talent will put people in the seats but doesn't necessarily mean any improvement to the team overall. I'm not saying that none of those kids on your list wouldn't have made a difference, just that a having a local kid doesn't guarantee anything.

Happy Memorial Day! Remember all those who have sacrificed and say thanks to a vet! :cool:

Dr. Robert Katz
05-31-2010, 01:02 PM
After Augie was thrown out of Union (or something weird happened) he came to QU but couldn't even get on the team.

yea, pete alden was local too but they both transferred in. Augie is nasty, woulda played but he couldn't play at QU.

Dr. Robert Katz
05-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Local talent will put people in the seats but doesn't necessarily mean any improvement to the team overall. I'm not saying that none of those kids on your list wouldn't have made a difference, just that a having a local kid doesn't guarantee anything.

Happy Memorial Day! Remember all those who have sacrificed and say thanks to a vet! :cool:

Joe P is most frustrating, btw, he got named BU's captain for 10-11 season.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_8050/is_20070506/ai_n48476407/pg_2/?tag=content;col1

"Pereira also credits Yale assistant coach C.J. Marottolo with honing his skills. At 5 feet 10, 175 pounds, he originally committed to UConn last August, but when the call came from BU came, he quickly recanted. He said that if Quinnipiac had called him a couple of years ago, he'd be a Bobcat now."

allnightwong
06-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Joe P is most frustrating, btw, he got named BU's captain for 10-11 season.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_8050/is_20070506/ai_n48476407/pg_2/?tag=content;col1

"Pereira also credits Yale assistant coach C.J. Marottolo with honing his skills. At 5 feet 10, 175 pounds, he originally committed to UConn last August, but when the call came from BU came, he quickly recanted. He said that if Quinnipiac had called him a couple of years ago, he'd be a Bobcat now."

Yeah, but let's look at where QU was when someone like Pereira was looking at a school and even now really. You could've thrown the kitchen sink at the kid and talked all about staying home and being a local hero and he STILL would've went to BU. Same with Macgregor. I don't think staying local is going to sway these players at all when the fact of the matter is our beloved Bobcats don't hold a candle to playing at Agganis and in the Hockey East. Now, the younger Pereira who is heading to Umass, I believe, might have been a little more attainable. It'll happen but I think something like a league title needs to take place first.

MinniQUFan
06-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah, but let's look at where QU was when someone like Pereira was looking at a school and even now really. You could've thrown the kitchen sink at the kid and talked all about staying home and being a local hero and he STILL would've went to BU. Same with Macgregor. I don't think staying local is going to sway these players at all when the fact of the matter is our beloved Bobcats don't hold a candle to playing at Agganis and in the Hockey East. Now, the younger Pereira who is heading to Umass, I believe, might have been a little more attainable. It'll happen but I think something like a league title needs to take place first.

And lets be honest, playing in Boston when you're from Connecticut is still playing local.

MinniQUFan
06-03-2010, 10:21 AM
With Rentschler Field planning to host a whole slew of outdoor hockey games this winter, QU has expressed interest in trying to play one of the games...
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-web-baldwin-rentschler-hockey-20100602,0,5624649.story

MarkEagleUSA
06-03-2010, 11:49 AM
QU has expressed interest in trying to play one of the games...As cool as that would be, I have mixed emotions about it because it's right in the heart of the league run before the post-season.

allnightwong
06-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Where do we stand on players leaving school? I have heard some reports but nothing with any substance. Anyone have any insight?