Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota State Mankato Offseason Thread. Do we need one? Oops, here we go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State Mankato Offseason Thread. Do we need one? Oops, here we go.

Originally posted by Bison101 View Post
    Minnesota's budget runs on two year cycles, right? Has there been any progress on the new arena? Any chance this gets built on campus? I assume you are a shoe in next session as SCSU, UMD, UMC and BSU got their diggs last go around.
    Expansion of the civic center got taken out of the bonding bill due to the budget crunch, so nothing in the works. I think most people prefer to keep it off campus, because then adult beverages can be sold.

Oh yeah, when are you guys going to make a leap to the Summit and DI?
    I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the question or if you're just being a smartass. MSU has been D-I in hockey for over a decade. If you're talking about all-sports D-I, has been considered and rejected, and I doubt that it will come up again any time soon, when they're laying off faculty and staff, plus cutting entire academic programs.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Minnesota's budget runs on two year cycles, right? Has there been any progress on the new arena? Any chance this gets built on campus? I assume you are a shoe in next session as SCSU, UMD, UMC and BSU got their diggs last go around. Oh yeah, when are you guys going to make a leap to the Summit and DI?
      Nothing will get built on campus unless it's due to private donations. Unfortunately, our biggest donors are not huge supporters of the hockey program. As I understand it, a new on-campus hockey arena is somewhere in the range of project #40 in the master plan. I could be wrong, but I think that's the rumor that I heard.

As for DI, it's not going to happen for a while. As MavFan said, it's been considered and turned down due to the economics. Now with budgets tightening, that's proven to be a very good choice. Maybe in another 10-15 years, but not in the forseeable future.
      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
        Expansion of the civic center got taken out of the bonding bill due to the budget crunch, so nothing in the works. I think most people prefer to keep it off campus, because then adult beverages can be sold.

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the question or if you're just being a smartass. MSU has been D-I in hockey for over a decade. If you're talking about all-sports D-I, has been considered and rejected, and I doubt that it will come up again any time soon, when they're laying off faculty and staff, plus cutting entire academic programs.
        I think you took it the wrong way. Take a step back and think about it for a second. It is so logical for Minnesota State to take its athletic department to DI and soon. With the new rule that institutions must have a conference invite before they move up, now is the time to act. The Summit has space. The Summit is slowly but surely moving its geogrpahic center North. NDSU, SDSU, and USD are already in and UND is virtually a lock. I would love to see Minnesota State added to that list. We are building something special here and I wish you all would come along for the ride. The conference basketball tournament is in sioux falls and and has been a smashing success. It will gwet even better once USD is eligible and UND joins. Throw Minnesota State into the mix and we can double the out of state fan particpation easy with those three area schools. The truth is, I just don't want you to miss the boat.

About the new Hockey arena. What is the word about getting it included in the next funding cycle?
        Just a Bison Fan pulling for MSU Hockey

Comment

This article does a pretty good job discussing the decision to stay in Division II, and you can also gather some of the reasons why it's tough for MSU to compete in the WCHA.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            This article does a pretty good job discussing the decision to stay in Division II, and you can also gather some of the reasons why it's tough for MSU to compete in the WCHA.
            As much as it would be "cool" to participate at the DI level in all sports, "cool" is about all it would be worth for a while. From a fiscal perspective of the entire University, I must agree with the reasoning to stay in Division II.

Regarding "tough to compete at the D1 level," however, I was initially offended reading that statement as just another excuse. Admittedly, that could be because I had the feeling the author of the article didn't know a hockey puck from a curling rock--which is just fine for the purposes of this story.

Unless by "tough to compete" you mean not being able to pay a competent coach. Then, yes, I agree with that statement as well.
            Alumni of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
            Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

As many times in the information age, the rumor has been confirmed that Pitlick is visiting Medicine Hat and the reports are that he is likely gone. Too bad I was looking forward to watching this kid, cheering for him this year, and following his career. Good luck in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
                As many times in the information age, the rumor has been confirmed that Pitlick is visiting Medicine Hat and the reports are that he is likely gone. Too bad I was looking forward to watching this kid, cheering for him this year, and following his career. Good luck in the future.
                And you thought we had trouble scoring THIS year!
                My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Sources:
                  Shane
                  Chris
                  Dan

Yes, I know all are linkable from Shane's blog, but thought I would put them here for those that haven't checked them out, yet.

I've read some positive things about who else is returning, and some of the new kids, but this kind of departure that hurts. It hurts bad. Of course, as far as we know now, no official decision has been made.
                  Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

Speaking of Tyler Pitlick

His final ranking on NHL Central Scouting's list of North American skaters is 18th. In the side bar, he is compared to Mark Parrish. I'm not sure if that is good or bad? I think pretty good. Personally, I always liked Parrish and thought he got a raw deal with JLM an the Wild.

Warroad HS's Brock Neslon comes in at 25th; his comparison is to David Backes.

EDIT: MSU recruit Max Gaede of Wooodbury H.S. moved up 40 spots from his mid-term ranking to 104th overall. That is all the time I had at work to analyze the list and may have missed something. I'll have more time tonight to look deeper. I'm sure Chris and Shane will have you covered at their sites as well.
                    Last edited by redheadzeb; 04-07-2010, 11:28 AM.
                    Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

Some of those player comparisons were way out there, including the ones for Pitlick and Nelson. Parrish does nothing but score goals, and Pitlick does everything but score goals.

Brett Stern from Centennial was somewhere in the mid-140s on that list as well.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Pitlick Gone
                        scsuhockey.com
                        CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

If true, that really blows.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            If true, that really blows.
                            I don't have a source to which I can link on the Interwebs at this time, but from what I understand, this will be no surprise to the team.

The fans, it probably will. Especially the ones not closely following Maverick hockey in the off-season.
                            Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

Originally posted by redheadzeb View Post
                              I don't have a source to which I can link on the Interwebs at this time, but from what I understand, this will be no surprise to the team.

The fans, it probably will. Especially the ones not closely following Maverick hockey in the off-season.
                              It isn't really too much of a surprise, but it still really blows.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                It isn't really too much of a surprise, but it still really blows.
                                QFT
                                Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

Working...
                                X