No announcement yet.

Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Originally posted by Irishhockey View Post
    I am interested in what you know and who you have talked to. It sounds as though you had some conversations with people who know much more than we do.
    My experience (which may or may not be the same as IHF's) was eye opening. In conversations with 3 different people connected to the program at 3 different times in 3 different places (meaning they were not simply reiterating what the guy next to him said), I found it interesting that all 3 said nearly the same thing in the same manner: stoic disgust. "What happened this past season WILL NOT happen again."

My take on that means just because a player is a senior or a superstar or dressed every game in the past means squat come September. You have to earn your spot on the ice. If the guy next to you buys into the system and works harder than you, you get to watch from the stands.

Here's to Ian Cole having success similar to Mark Eaton (who also left early). Having your name etched on the Cup several years into your career would be sweet.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Originally posted by Irishhockey View Post
      I am interested in what you know and who you have talked to. It sounds as though you had some conversations with people who know much more than we do.
      I keep my ears open, mainly, try to hear what a lot of different people are telling me. Its amazing what you can learn from anyone by asking a 3 or 4 word question. I know I tend to prattle on here quite a bit sometimes, but in real life I tend to want to listen much longer than I speak. I also generally don't post things I hear before they become public knowledge. And when I do I tend to include the caveat that it is my opinion and while I may know it to be true, it is not necessarily what someone has told me. That's one of the reasons I rarely break anything new on here, although I did post about the new arena before it became official, but so did Mike Coffey over at NDNAtion, and he had me beat by some time. Then again sometimes I don't know it until after everyone else, anyway.

As for Ian Cole specifically, I've had conversations with some people who worked with Cole even before he came here, learned about the kid from speaking with him and his family a little and came to the conclusion that he was a thoughtful and balanced young man. He's driven, but in a different kind of way we usually think of hockey players being driven.

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
      My experience (which may or may not be the same as IHF's) was eye opening. In conversations with 3 different people connected to the program at 3 different times in 3 different places (meaning they were not simply reiterating what the guy next to him said), I found it interesting that all 3 said nearly the same thing in the same manner: stoic disgust. "What happened this past season WILL NOT happen again."
      I think everyone I have spoken with was sort of in a state of shock as the season wound down. They all had the look of "I can't believe this just happened." I think the most positive aspect is everyone is first blaming himself, and not JUST pointing fingers. But talk is cheap, and talk of being better next year after failing miserably to live up to expectations this is even cheaper, and if grasshoppers carried Beretta M9s the birds wouldn't mess with them. For now, much like I am in with the football program, I am in a show me state of mind. But unlike with the football program I am approaching it at least with a sense of optimism. Besides, in our sport, if you win, the important things take care of themselves!

Comment

Originally posted by ecacwatcher View Post
        http://fearthetriangle.com/2010/03/22/teglia-commits/

http://collegehockey247.rivals.com/c...sp?CID=1051483

Goalie Teglia of Omaha commits to UMass. It was reported that he was being recruited by Notre Dame and Notre Dame was his dream school.
        I don't think there was much room for Teglia, especially if Joe Rogers is coming next season.
        Notre Dame Hockey
        Reigning Big Ten Champions
        Reigning CCHA Champions
        Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

Well, now we know why Jackson didn't go after Teglia.

Steve Summerhays is Irish

Summerhayes has a 30-2-3 record this season, and he has never lost on home ice, going 24-0-4 in Green Bay. He has also compiled quite the the highlight reel. His birthday is August 29, 1990 and I expect him to enroll this fall. His teammates Anders Lee and David Gerths have already signed LOIs with Notre Dame.
          Notre Dame Hockey
          Reigning CCHA Champions

Comment

Jackson made no secret after the season ended there would be new blood -- more than anyone maybe suspected -- in tow in the fall. Originally I think he expected some of the 9 who signed LOIs last fall to spend another season in Jrs, but now I wonder. Joe Rogers development has some people wondering if he is a number one NCAA goalie right now and it doesn't surprise me ND wants to go after another netminder. Sort of like bringing in Mike Johnson in the fall following his commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
              Jackson made no secret after the season ended there would be new blood -- more than anyone maybe suspected -- in tow in the fall. Originally I think he expected some of the 9 who signed LOIs last fall to spend another season in Jrs, but now I wonder. Joe Rogers development has some people wondering if he is a number one NCAA goalie right now and it doesn't surprise me ND wants to go after another netminder. Sort of like bringing in Mike Johnson in the fall following his commitment.
              I too was looking at the commitments and wondering who could defer enrollment another year. Shayne Taker is a 1990 birth-year and will almost certainly be wearing an Irish sweater next season. After Taker are a bunch of 2010 draft-eligible 1992s. Stephen Johns, Kevin Lind, and Jarred Tinordi are all top prospects and are well-regarded by NHL Central Scouting ranking 28th, 32nd, and 42nd respectively among North American skaters. I would be hard to ask any one of these three to spend another year in the USHL.

At forward, you can pencil in Jeff Costello, David Gerths, Anders Lee, and Mike Voran, all born in 1990. Garrett Peterson, born in September 1991, has already spent two full seasons in the USHL. Bryan Rust, born in 1992, could conceivably be asked to wait another year, but he is also a well-regarded prospect cracking the Central Scouting list.
              Notre Dame Hockey
              Reigning CCHA Champions

Comment

Welcome to Steve Summerhays. The newest commitment. A 1990 birthday who is the top goaltender statistically in the USHL. Has a history of fighting...go to you tube and type in his name. The goalie who he has fought 3 times is going to Western Michigan.

Summerhays..who plans on being pre-med..picked the Irish over Michigan and Maine.

Here is a link to his committment...
                http://www.adn.com/2010/03/24/119807...s-commits.html
                Last edited by NDHockey9; 03-26-2010, 09:52 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Rust without a doubt is coming this fall. He is college ready.

Comment

Ian Cole has suited up for 2 games with Peoria as of this writing and has a goal and an assist. His opening night interview is a few minutes in if anyone is interested in watching.

On a completely different note, does anyone else find it impossible to believe that Notre Dame is the only team to score with any significance on Michigan's Hunwick?! It seems as if the 5 goals they managed was the lesson Michigan needed to realize the kind of collapsing D they had to play in front of him. Not only did my team's season suck, but their effort has helped Michigan make a run through the tourney. Blech.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Reminds me of 1998 and how Notre Dame woke up Michigan by pushing them to the limit in the CCHA opening round.

Comment

Has there been any talk of Pooley leaving for a head coaching job or is it just idle chatter by the OSU faithful?

Comment

Ian Cole's first pro goal....:39 seconds in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9e5NyozzM0

Comment

For anyone interested (thanks WeAreNDHockey): Dave Hanson talks about Christian, Slap Shot and the Chiefs moving.

I would also highly recommend his book. It's an easy read, but I promise you will bust out laughing in many spots.

Comment

In the lull between FF semi-final games, I thought I'd catch up on some ND players who've moved on. For anyone else who also has nothing better to do, here are some stats:

Dan Kissel has played 11 games for the Bakersfield Condors and has 9 points as of this moment. Ryan Thang has 10 games with the Milwaukee Admirals and has 4 points. (Teammate Mark Van Guilder--smiley--heart--has also played 26 games and has 6 points.) Kyle Lawson has played 8 games with the Albany River Rats and has registered 1 point. Ian Cole has 5 points in his 7 games with the Rivermen of Peoria.

Since I mentioned Van Guilder, I'll include the fact that Erik Condra has 34 points in 77 games with the Binghamton Senators and Christian Hanson--smiley--heart--had 31 points in 38 games with the Marlies and 4 points in 30 games with the Maple Leafs. He surpassed his dad in games played and points scored in the NHL. I'd be willing to bet Dave Hanson is happy about that fact.

For those of you who can attend (I cannot, I have a game), the year-end banquet is the 18th. Next season is a mere 6 months away...
                              Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 04-08-2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Could we please get the BC/Miami referees for CCHA games...nice to see the "Miami Way" isn't getting past these officials. 2 dumb penalties...2 BC Goals.

C'mon BC bury "Ricky's boys"

Comment

Working...
                                X