No announcement yet.

Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Lind is a great addition to Notre Dame!

Comment

• Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      I am well aware of the dates they were written. They were written at the end, or close to the end of the previous season.

Tinordi and his advisors told everyone before the draft that if they selected him, that he was going major junior and if picked, they had to sign hi, He simply used ND as a leverage. Good riddance, Lind is a better fit and a better teammate.
      Boy, talk about taking advantage of the Notre Dame name.....Puck Swami is right, and we probably do have to get used to these bumps in the road like players who agreed to come here defecting before arriving, and leaving early. It shows the level to which ND hockey has advanced. It's kind of fun to be king or queen, but gosh having all that security around is sometimes a drag, kind of thing. And in all honesty, if that truly was Tinordi's attitude at the drafts, then Jeff Jackson was going to get nothing more than a passenger on the bus in him, and we all know how Jackson feels about that. If Lind fits the bill of team-mate, co-worker, student/athlete, then I'll gladly welcome him and hopes the door does hit Tinordi in the butt as it closes.
      Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

His advisor told every team in black and white, "that if you draft me, be prepared to sign"
        This was done well before the June draft. Montreal with their brutal scouting group and draft track record fell for it. Many others laughed and passed. Which was smart and is what ND should have done. If you watched film on him you would not be impressed. I watched in person 5 or 6 times and he was not going to be a D 1 player with an immediate if ever impact. he is better off playing against 16, 17 and 18 year olds in juniors where he can get by with size. Against older college kids he would have been a liability.

It is a joke that he was taken around the same relative time as Kreider and Moore.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
          His advisor told every team in black and white, "that if you draft me, be prepared to sign"
          This was done well before the June draft. Montreal with their brutal scouting group and draft track record fell for it. Many others laughed and passed. Which was smart and is what ND should have done. If you watched film on him you would not be impressed. I watched in person 5 or 6 times and he was not going to be a D 1 player with an immediate if ever impact. he is better off playing against 16, 17 and 18 year olds in juniors where he can get by with size. Against older college kids he would have been a liability.

It is a joke that he was taken around the same relative time as Kreider and Moore.
          more wonderfull insight....
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
            more wonderfull insight....
            That is exactly what happened at the draft. Show that months ago had no interest or intentions to come to ND, which left the team in a bad spot

what do you have to add or is it simply another one of your 17000+ posts about nothing

Comment

No squabbling here unless it is about Notre Dame. There's enough there to keep everyone busy...

BTW, the team will take the ice for their first official practice in 50 days.
              "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

(From ND Sports Info) Notre Dame hockey coach Jeff Jackson has announced the additions of a pair of players to the Irish roster for the 2010-11 campaign. Joining the lineup this fall are defenseman Kevin Lind (Homer Glen, Ill.) and center T.J. Tynan (Orland Park, Ill.). Both players signed national letters-of-intent to attend Notre Dame in November of 2009 but had planned to return to their junior teams in the United States Hockey League this season.

With sophomore right wing Kyle Palmieri (Montvale, N.J.) deciding to sign with the Anaheim Ducks on August 4th and incoming freshman Jarred Tinordi (Millersville, Md.) opting to forego his education to play junior hockey, roster spots became available that will be taken by Lind and Tynan.

In making the announcement, Jackson said, “Both Kevin (Lind) and T.J. (Tynan) had outstanding years with their teams in the USHL last year. We had planned to give them the opportunity to mature another season but the need and opportunity to come in developed in recent weeks. Fortunately, they both had signed letters-of-intent last November and had already been admitted so we were able to get them in at this late date.”

“It’s unfortunate that players make decisions to not attend school at such a late date,” added Jackson. “Their decisions not only have an impact on their teammates and coaches, but it causes a negative cycle as it goes on to affect other programs. Both organizations that Kevin and T.J. played for - Tri-City and Des Moines - were very understanding in the process. They were willing partners in allowing Kevin and T.J. to begin their collegiate careers. I want to thank both organizations and their coaching staffs for their help. They do a great job in developing players for college hockey.”

Kevin Lind is a 6-3, 200-pound left shot defenseman who joins the Irish after playing the 2009-10 season with the USHL’s Chicago Steel. In 55 games with the Steel, he played in 55 games, scoring six goals and 10 assists for 16 points. He also had two power-play goals and a pair of game winners while picking up 76 penalty minutes on the year. During the season, he was ranked 139th by NHL Central Scouting for the 2010 draft and eventually was selected in the sixth round, 177th overall by the Anaheim Ducks. His USHL rights were traded by Chicago to Tri-City following last season as part of a deal that sent the first pick overall in the USHL draft to the Steel. Lind began playing for Chicago in 2008-09 and had two goals and three assists for five points in 50 games. Following that season, he was chosen to play for the USA Select Under-18 Team that played in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament along with Tynan in Piestany, Slovakia where he had a goal and an assist in three games as the U.S. finished fourth. In November of 2009, he was a teammate of fellow incoming Irish freshmen Jeff Costello (Milwaukee, Wis.) and David Gerths (Ankeny, Ia.) on the gold-medal winning U.S. Junior Select Team that won the World Jr. A Challenge in Summerside, P.E.I.

Jackson on Lind: “Kevin Lind is a strong skater with a solid foundation to build on. He’s a strong defensive defenseman whose skating will allow him to join the play as he adapts to the college game. He has the potential to become a top collegiate defenseman over the next few years.”

A gifted playmaker, T.J. Tynan is a 5-9, 160-pound right shot center that joins the Irish after playing for the Des Moines Buccaneers in 2009-10. A first round selection, second overall by the Bucs in the 2008 USHL Futures Draft, Tynan led the team in scoring as a rookie with 17 goals and 55 assists for 72 points in 60 games. Seven of his 17 goals came on the power play while adding 26 power-play assists. His 72 points tied him for fifth in the USHL in scoring and the 55 assists led the league. Tynan was named to the USHL all-rookie team along with fellow freshman Anders Lee (Edina, Minn.). With Tynan joining the Irish this season, the Irish now have three of the USHL’s top 10 scorers from 2010-11 along with Michael Voran (Livonia, Mich.), who was fourth with 74 points (23 goals, 51 assists) and Lee, who was 10th in the league scoring race with 66 points on 35 goals and 31 helpers. Prior to joining the Buccaneers, Tynan teamed with Lind to play for the USA Select Under-18 Team that finished fourth at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in August of 2009 where he picked up one assist in three games. A product of the Chicago Mission AAA program, Tynan played in 80 games during the 2008-09 season, scoring 47 goals with 82 assists for 129 points while collecting 90 minutes in penalties.

Jackson on Tynan: “T.J. Tynan is an extremely intelligent player with outstanding offensive instincts. He’s a dynamic player with great vision and the ability to make plays with the puck. He has all the tools to be a special college hockey player.”

The addition of Lind and Tynan give the Irish 12 freshman on the roster for the 2010-11 season.

Notre Dame’s Freshman Class of 2010-11

Player Pos. Birthdate Ht. Wt. S/C Hometown/2009-10 Team
                Jared Beers D 8/15/90 5-10 182 Right Mishawaka, Ind./Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL)
                Jeff Costello LW 11/2/90 5-11 202 Left Milwaukee, Wis./Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL)
                David Gerths RW 9/27/90 6-0 195 Right Ankeny, Iowa/Lincoln Stars (USHL)
                Stephen Johns D 4/18/92 6-3 215 Right Wampum, Pa./USA Under-18 Team
                Anders Lee C 7/3/90 6-2 216 Left Edina, Minn./Green Bay Gamblers
                Kevin Lind D 3/31/92 6-3 198 Left Homer Glen, Ill./Chicago Steel (USHL)
                Joe Rogers G 2/27/90 5-11 175 Right Marysville, Mich./Albert Lea Thunder (NAHL)
                Bryan Rust C 5/11/92 5-11 191 Right Bloomfield Hills, Mich../USA Under-18 Team
                Steven Summerhays G 8/29/90 6-1 190 Left Anchorage, Alaska/Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)
                Shayne Taker D 2/12/90 6-3 190 Left Surrey, B.C./Cowichan Valley Capitals (BCHL)
                T.J. Tynan C 2/25/92 5-9 170 Right Orland Park, Ill./Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL)
                Michael Voran RW 3/27/90 5-11 193 Right Livonia, Mich./Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)

Comment

I was quite shocked to receive mail from Notre Dame today, apparently I wasn't too obnoxious with the group of Wildcat fans last year, and they sent me information about season tickets.

What struck me odd is that you're forced to buy the CCHA first/second round playoff games (all three) with a full season ticket package. Maybe it's similar with Miami or Michigan, but Northern doesn't do that (nor does the Chicago Wolves).

I'm hoping to get a big group together for the NMU weekend.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    I was quite shocked to receive mail from Notre Dame today, apparently I wasn't too obnoxious with the group of Wildcat fans last year, and they sent me information about season tickets.

What struck me odd is that you're forced to buy the CCHA first/second round playoff games (all three) with a full season ticket package. Maybe it's similar with Miami or Michigan, but Northern doesn't do that (nor does the Chicago Wolves).

I'm hoping to get a big group together for the NMU weekend.
                    I find it funny to hear things like this about other fans season ticket rules. Every single person you talk to at Notre Dame will tell you that the CCHA REQUIRES season ticket packages to include potential playoff games as part of the sale. And yet Northern isn't the only school where this doesn't seem to be the case. Making it even more annoying, one year I wasn't refunded for an unused ticket until August, 5 months after the ticket was not needed and only weeks before season tickets needed to be purchased for the upcoming season. Given a choice I'd likely just buy the tickets up front since 2/3 of the teams will host a series anyway, but I would like the choice.

Along with that hockey info did they include a request for you to purchase one or more of the many MANY unsold football tickets for 2010? Good seats still available.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                      I find it funny to hear things like this about other fans season ticket rules. Every single person you talk to at Notre Dame will tell you that the CCHA REQUIRES season ticket packages to include potential playoff games as part of the sale. And yet Northern isn't the only school where this doesn't seem to be the case. Making it even more annoying, one year I wasn't refunded for an unused ticket until August, 5 months after the ticket was not needed and only weeks before season tickets needed to be purchased for the upcoming season. Given a choice I'd likely just buy the tickets up front since 2/3 of the teams will host a series anyway, but I would like the choice.

Along with that hockey info did they include a request for you to purchase one or more of the many MANY unsold football tickets for 2010? Good seats still available.
                      The Ticket Office plays by Calvin and Hobbes rules. They make up the rules, they don't tell the other players the rules and they change the rules whenever they see fit. I've been a season ticket holder at this address since 1991 (and 10 years before that at my other address, now you all know I'm old). This year, the refund of my playoff tickets bounced when my account was transferred due to identity theft. Did the ticket office send me an email telling me that it had bounced (to go along with the nearly daily emails I get from Notre Dame about other events). No. Did the ticket office send me snail mail to tell me that. No. Did the ticket office send me a check for the refund. No. The ticket office WAITED until I called them to ask about the refunds nearly 2 months after everyone else had gotten their refund. They seemed a little offended when I asked them to refund the interest they'd earned on my money. I wonder why.

On my way to New York for the Sterling Irish Fest. Stop by and see us if you are in the neighborhood. Everyone else, stay out of trouble.
                      Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                      Courage to change the things I can,
                      And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
                        On my way to New York for the Sterling Irish Fest. Stop by and see us if you are in the neighborhood.
                        The ND leprechaun should be close by (he's from that area). I wonder if he'll show up or if he's already on campus...

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

@IrishHockeyFan: nope it was hockey only. An 8x14 folded three times. Had ticket prices for full, half, and two six game plans. Had a rendering and stats about the new arena and bragged of a season ticket holder special event before the exhibition game.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            I get tons of e-mails from all the teams I've bought away game tix to, for all sports, not just hockey. I always wonder if anyone notices my e-mail address in these mass mailings...it's very obvious that I am a Notre Dame hockey fan...and realizes the mailings are futile.

It is also odd that ND's season tix holders received that mailing because tix renewals were due last week. I renewed mine last week and got the mailing yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                              I get tons of e-mails from all the teams I've bought away game tix to, for all sports, not just hockey. I always wonder if anyone notices my e-mail address in these mass mailings...it's very obvious that I am a Notre Dame hockey fan...and realizes the mailings are futile.

It is also odd that ND's season tix holders received that mailing because tix renewals were due last week. I renewed mine last week and got the mailing yesterday.
                              Same here. I mean the stadium looks nice and I like to see as many pics as possible, but all of that info was included with out invoices.

Speaking on invoices, the lady I dealt with at the ticket office wasn't the nicest of ladies. She was very rude when I asked for her to check to see if there was a chance to upgrade my tickets. When I was told that their wasn't I asked that my request be put in with my account like it did last year in case something came up (which it did and I did get moved to seats I liked better but they didn't even bother calling me to ask if it was ok which would have been nice.) She said that I would have to mail in a special request to her supervisor and go from there. With only one season left in this stadium I didn't even bother.

Speaking of the new stadium, does anyone have any early info on how they are going to go about this? Are we going to actually be able to go and look at the actual seats or just guess and hope?
                              TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
                                Speaking of the new stadium, does anyone have any early info on how they are going to go about this? Are we going to actually be able to go and look at the actual seats or just guess and hope?
                                Seating diagram. On line it would most likely include the "view from your seat" function.

Comment

Working...
                                X