No announcement yet.

Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Notre Dame's finally getting around to releasing a statement about TJ Jindra joining the staff.

Comment

• Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

official Jarred Tinordi is leaving for the London Knights in the OHL

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/knight.../14985531.html
      Last edited by nhldraftvideo; 08-10-2010, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
        official Jarred Tinordi is leaving for the London Knights in the OHL

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/knight.../14985531.html
        First the earlier players leaving, now another big hit. Tinordi is a first round draft choice of the Montreal Canadians and a solid young defenseman.

Comment

London was after him for quite some time, a friend of mine close to their organization told me a few months back that Tinordi was around 75-25% favoring the London Knights.

I usually am neutral on the whole development aspect between the CHL and NCAA. Some players are a better fit for the CHL while others for college. Tinordi has some major upside but he is very raw. I was actually surprised to see him picked in the first round (then again Montreal has probably the worst scouting department in the NHL).This is a kid who needs more time to develop his game. While the style of his game may be more suited for the OHL, I honestly feel he would have developed better under Jackson's system at Notre Dame.

All in all a loss for Notre Dame and college hockey once again, but perhaps not as big as some of you Irish fans may be thinking. It probably would have taken Tinordi to his Junior season to fill the roll of a top pairing Dman and the way things work in college hockey, he never would have stuck around that long anyway!

Comment

Grrr. Why wait until 2 weeks before classes start to decide that? Makes it a little late to fill that scholarship hole. Oh and heaven forbid you get a quality education in the meantime...
            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
              Grrr. Why wait until 2 weeks before classes start to decide that? Makes it a little late to fill that scholarship hole. Oh and heaven forbid you get a quality education in the meantime...
              Plus he was the only Notre Dame freshman to not be arrested this summer.

Another big loss for college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                In listening to Tinordi's interview on my XM radio yesterday, it doesn't sound like Notre Dame is a done deal. He basically said that he will do what Montreal tells him, etc
                Not surprised at all that Tinordi is heading to the OHL. His interviews at the NHL Draft did not all invoke the feeling that he was vested in attending Notre Dame.

Tough loss, but not unexpected.

Comment

Welcome to the Suck. Otherwise known as Notre Dame hockey 2010/2011.

I keep waiting for the upheaval to end. As we draw nearer to actually seeing the official start of practice in another month or so, perhaps by then it will. If someone else was going to bail on late notice, too bad it wasn't a forward. We seem to have a little more room to work with up front than on the blueline.

One thing is clear to me as August drags on and we get nearer to the start of the season: If last year's injury and leadership issues are repeated this year, the season will be long, much longer than last because this season the team is short on experience and shorter on proven talent than last year.

So the opportunity is there for people to step up and make something of this season. Opportunity for leadership abounds. Opportunity for improvement. Opportunity to make the last season in the Joyce the best one yet. Opportunity is all anyone can ask for or have a right to expect. There is an entire season's worth there for the taking. So welcome to the Suck, I say. Embrace it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                    Welcome to the Suck. Otherwise known as Notre Dame hockey 2010/2011.

I keep waiting for the upheaval to end. As we draw nearer to actually seeing the official start of practice in another month or so, perhaps by then it will. If someone else was going to bail on late notice, too bad it wasn't a forward. We seem to have a little more room to work with up front than on the blueline.

One thing is clear to me as August drags on and we get nearer to the start of the season: If last year's injury and leadership issues are repeated this year, the season will be long, much longer than last because this season the team is short on experience and shorter on proven talent than last year.

So the opportunity is there for people to step up and make something of this season. Opportunity for leadership abounds. Opportunity for improvement. Opportunity to make the last season in the Joyce the best one yet. Opportunity is all anyone can ask for or have a right to expect. There is an entire season's worth there for the taking. So welcome to the Suck, I say. Embrace it.
                    Boy guys what is going on in South Bend??? Jackson lose controll? Never saw this coming, players getting arrested and guys leaving in august...I feel for ya, any light?
                    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                      London was after him for quite some time, a friend of mine close to their organization told me a few months back that Tinordi was around 75-25% favoring the London Knights.

I usually am neutral on the whole development aspect between the CHL and NCAA. Some players are a better fit for the CHL while others for college. Tinordi has some major upside but he is very raw. I was actually surprised to see him picked in the first round (then again Montreal has probably the worst scouting department in the NHL).This is a kid who needs more time to develop his game. While the style of his game may be more suited for the OHL, I honestly feel he would have developed better under Jackson's system at Notre Dame.

All in all a loss for Notre Dame and college hockey once again, but perhaps not as big as some of you Irish fans may be thinking. It probably would have taken Tinordi to his Junior season to fill the roll of a top pairing Dman and the way things work in college hockey, he never would have stuck around that long anyway!
                      Very interesting comments. I happen to agree with them 100%. I watched him play about 6 or 7 times last season and was never impressed with him as a player or his attitude on the ice. Montreal made a stupid pick at that spot.
                      He would not have been an impact for the next 2 years + at ND and would have left anyways and ND would have gotten squat in return.
                      He was the first cut at WJC camp and was only there because he played for dev program. Was 100% out of place and easily the worst dman there.Can you imagine that Columbus got Moore at about the same spot last year and Rangers got Kreider. Laughable to put the three in the same universe.

What was even more laughable was him saying he is going to be able to work out more and get bigger and stronger by going there. That is bs as the number of games, travel etc does not allow for that.

I agree, not a big loss.
                      Last edited by Hokydad; 08-11-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I can't help but think of two things: 1. You can't make an omellette without breaking a few eggs, 2. Things happen for a reason.

Okay, so I'm hopped up on cold medicine, but I still feel good about the upcoming season.
                        "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Kevin Lind from the USHL is coming in place of Tinordi.

Lind is a better player and will be a better fit.

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1050992

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ts_kevin_lind/
                          Last edited by Hokydad; 08-12-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I think these bumps in the current Notre Dame road are going to pay big dividends in the future.

Having players leave creates playing opportunities for others, and also helps a coaching staff use suspensions and defections to clarify culture, and expectation for both the players, recruits and fellow coaches in how they approach the game and the players who play it.

If Jackson is smart, he'll use these dark days to redefine the Notre Dame experience as the new building beckons....

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              Kevin Lind from the USHL is coming in place of Tinordi.

Lind is a better player and will be a better fit.

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1050992

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ts_kevin_lind/
                              Both of the articles you've linked are many months old and make no mention of Lind joining the Irish in place of Jarred Tinordi. Here's an article that actually does make mention of it.

Comment

I am well aware of the dates they were written. They were written at the end, or close to the end of the previous season.

Note that he was ranked ahead of Tinordi by many, central scouting included for some time. He was over shadowed by a couple d at the Steel and was pushed back to a support role. The problem was that KL tried to replicate John Moore to much and ith urt his game. He was not playing to his strengths. He is back on track and was a steal by Anaheim in the draft. He will be a better fit and a better contributor to ND.

Tinordi and his advisors told everyone before the draft that if they selected him, that he was going major junior and if picked, they had to sign hi, He simply used ND as a leverage. Good riddance, Lind is a better fit and a better teammate.

Comment

Working...
                                X