X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MN Golden Gopher 2010 Offseason Thread

Originally posted by Duey View Post
    Can't blame just Garth Snow now.....After reading this one I just about found myself feeling bad for Lucia......ok, not really.

What future Canadian Reserve does its first-round pick in 2006, defenseman David Fischer?

The right arm of Pierre Gauthier and DG Hamilton Bulldogs, Julien Brisebois, not ruling last week can see Fischer joined the Bulldogs since his season with the Gophers at the University of Minnesota has concluded there are seven days.

But Pierre Gauthier has awarded PressThrough the VP Communications team Donald Beauchamp, the organization had until August 15 to sign a professional contract with Fischer, and that there was no hurry for now. Wait do we see what he can do at the camp's development team in July?
    One could understand the Canadiens want to take his time. Fischer and the Gophers had another regular season. Offensively, the defender of 22 years has been poor as the rest of his team. He has amassed just six points in 39 games, seven points below the previous season, when he had yet played eight games less.

And if one relies on the analysis of two recruiters NHL teams interviewed in recent days, there is little hope for Fischer access to the NHL.

"It's not safe," says the first man who, like all scouts called to analyze the performance expectations of other clubs, asked not to be identified because their organization prohibits them from commenting publicly on players who not theirs.

"According to reports from our scouts, I do not think he can go to the NHL, he said. It is an AHL player. It lacks too many things: hockey sense, fighting, not to mention he has no great impact at the college. His talent is average, it has no dominant quality. There has been no progress over the years, or almost not. And it's very rare that a player can unlock after stagnating in the NCAA. There are exceptions. As Ryan Stoa, Avalanche, who just played in Minnesota. "

The second scout abounds in the same direction. "From what I saw of him and all the reports of scouts at our house - for I am informed regularly of his progress - for years, there is not much hope in his case. David Fischer is like a flat tire. It lacks a little of everything. It happens to all teams make mistakes. But we resumed elsewhere. The Canadiens are certainly pleased to be able to recover PK Subban who himself, is unanimity among all NHL scouts. "

Defending Fischer, the former scout says that the quality of education is poor in the Gophers. The future of coach Don Lucia is also questioned in the region. He is accused of not having been able to harness the potential of some of its best players, like Fischer, Patrick White (first choice of the Canucks, 25th overall in 2007) or Jordan Schroeder, another first-round pick of the Canucks (in 2009), whose performance rose from 45 to 28 points since last year.
    "There's always a chance that more progress Fischer Hamilton Guy Boucher, a good coach, said the recruiter first. Coaching at the University of Minnesota is rotten. The head coach there is atrocious. "

The Gophers have still produced good players for the NHL over the years. Defensemen Keith Ballard, Paul Martin and Alex Goligoski stayed several years and they have progressed. Erik Johnson was not there when the Blues have drafted in the first place in 2006, and there remained only one year after the draft. Ditto for Phil Kessel. Kyle Okposo has left the club early in his second season, as Jim O'Brien, the first choice of Senators in 2007. Thomas Vanek remained there two years before making his professional debut in the organization of the Buffalo Sabers. Blake Wheeler has spent four years and its growth was slow before taking his place with the Boston Bruins.

"This is not only in Minnesota, said second recruiter. I recently attended a game between Notre Dame and Michigan State, it was terrible. There was no talent. No markers, no guards. I'm not saying it never comes out, but nobody was impressive. There are still good programs in the NCAA: Michigan, Boston University, Boston College, Wisconsin, North Dakota. But the best place for a young person who wants access to the NHL, it is the junior leagues. It's professional. Unless the young player is not ready physically, as is the case with Louis Leblanc. He decided to study and grow. Ultimately, it will not prevent him from making his way. It will perhaps take him a year older. But physically, he is so not ready. "
    I bolded everything in this incoherent article that is gramatically incorrect, and one could argue the whole thing is. How do people become "it" in a pronoun, and how does Schroeder's point total rise from 45 last year to 28 this year? Good Zach Parise*, I don't care if the article is right, because that was horribly written.
    Last edited by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey; 03-26-2010, 02:02 AM. Reason: *wrong deity.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
      I bolded everything in this incoherent article that is gramatically incorrect, and one could argue the whole thing is. How do people become "it" in a pronoun, and how does Schroeder's point total rise from 45 last year to 28 this year? Good lord, I don't care if the article is right, because that was horribly written.
      It appears to be translated from French.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...5_article_POS1

Comment

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post

Ah, well, that would explain things. Next time I suppose I can open a link posted by Duey and save myself some time critiquing an article that was likely copied and pasted into freetranslation.com.

Comment

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post

Most of the crap posted on USCHO reads like this.
          License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

"According to reports from our scouts, I do not think he can go to the NHL, he said. He is an AHL player. He lacks too many things: hockey sense, fighting, not to mention he has had no great impact at the college. His talent is average, he has no dominant quality.
            IMO the scout's assessments based upon the above criteria are baffling. And David Fischer has NO hockey sense? Fighting is a valid criterion for entrance into the NHL now? I don't think so. Even Bouchard took boxing lessons for two summers as an NHL player. There's no question David Fischer has hockey sense, in fact he played some of his best defense toward the end of this season. He simply did not demonstratively accelerate his game at the college level. So who's fault is that? IMO placing all the blame on Lucia is reckless unprofessional judgment, period.

I think the remainder of the article indicates the lack of professionalism and knowledge of NCAA hockey among some NHL recruiters as well as the author himself.

The Gophers have still produced good players for the NHL over the years. Defensemen Keith Ballard, Paul Martin and Alex Goligoski stayed several years and they have progressed. Erik Johnson was not there when the Blues drafted him in the first place in 2006, and remained at the UMN only one year after the draft. Ditto for Phil Kessel. Kyle Okposo left the club early in his second season, as did Jim O'Brien, the first choice of the Senators in 2007. Thomas Vanek remained there two years before making his professional debut in the organization of the Buffalo Sabers. Blake Wheeler spent four years and his growth was slow before signing with the Boston Bruins.

"This is not only in Minnesota", said second recruiter. I recently attended a game between Notre Dame and Michigan State, it was terrible. There was no talent. No markers, no guards. I'm not saying it never comes out, but nobody was impressive. There are still good programs in the NCAA: Michigan, Boston University, Boston College, Wisconsin, North Dakota. But the best place for a young person who wants access to the NHL, is the junior leagues. It's professional. Unless a young player is not ready physically, as is the case with Louis Leblanc. He decided to study and grow. Ultimately, it will not prevent him from making his way. It will perhaps take him a year longer. But physically, he is so not ready."
            At least the author was generous enough to acknowledge that "some" talent (add R. Potulny, BTW O'Brien has never played in the NHL.) has been developed and excelled in the NHL over the years. Secondly, the fact that some players decided to go pro after one year was expected and had very little to do with coaching.

Notre Dame and MSU had down years compared to the last 2-3 when they were highly ranked. I find it comical that the recruiter attempts to sound authoritative in his sweeping negative assessments based upon attending one game and then has the audacity to publish it. It simply highlights again the reductionist world view and selection bias that many of these "recruiters" maintain. For example, both Wisconsin and Boston University failed to qualify for the NCAAs 2/4 previous years (BC missed the NCAAs last year) just like the Gophers. But of course they're still superior programs, right?

So young players should forget about getting a college education and becoming a student athlete because if you really want "access" to the NHL you should go to MJs? And what about all the players, including those previously mentioned, that were NCAA student athletes and now play in the NHL? They are apparently an aberration. IIRC, the recent WJs Team USA was stocked with NCAA players and seemed to fair quite well against Team Canada's MJ players. BTW, no one is questioning the higher percentage of players in MJs that end up in the NHL compared to NCAA players. These are two equally valid and variable developmental tracks.

But if you're not physically ready "you can study and grow"? Too funny.

Comment

Tom Serratore, Gopher recruit next season, finishes the season with Youngstown on a high note.

Comment

Interesting posts about Fischer, Lucia and the Gophers program. I think Don Lucia is unfairly criticized. Same for Fischer. Still, there is a lot of negativity surrounding the Gophers and their head coach these days. I'm pretty sure recruits are seeing it. The Gophers are losing some top recruits - at least I would think so. I imagine if Don Lucia is fired it will be because of alumni pressure and nothing Maturi thought of on his own. Maturi is the same man that gave Brewster a contract extension - yikes!

As a Sioux fan, I hope the Gophers retain Don Lucia. He has struggled for about 4 years now. Dean Blais would reinvigorate the Gophers program. Heck, so would Motzko or a host of others.
                A Fan of the UND Fighting Sioux!! Sioux the NCAA!

Comment

Originally posted by siouxinminny View Post
                  The Gophers are losing some top recruits - at least I would think so.
                  Actually the Gophers have the second largest group of top 50 recruits among all schools according to CollegeHockey247.com. But what matters most is, what kind of work ethic will they demonstrate towards their development and when will Hill leave?

Comment

Originally posted by siouxinminny View Post
                    Interesting posts about Fischer, Lucia and the Gophers program. I think Don Lucia is unfairly criticized. Same for Fischer. Still, there is a lot of negativity surrounding the Gophers and their head coach these days. I'm pretty sure recruits are seeing it. The Gophers are losing some top recruits - at least I would think so. I imagine if Don Lucia is fired it will be because of alumni pressure and nothing Maturi thought of on his own. Maturi is the same man that gave Brewster a contract extension - yikes!

As a Sioux fan, I hope the Gophers retain Don Lucia. He has struggled for about 4 years now. Dean Blais would reinvigorate the Gophers program. Heck, so would Motzko or a host of others.
                    The extension for Basement Brew had nothing to do with perfromance. It was all about recruiting, as dumb as that might be.
                    04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
                    USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
                    I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
                    Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
                    I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Montreal throwing Lucia under the bus now? Sweet. Couldn't have been their scouting dept. I suppose? After all, they've been so relevant the last few years.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                        Ah, well, that would explain things. Next time I suppose I can open a link posted by Duey and save myself some time critiquing an article that was likely copied and pasted into freetranslation.com.
                        So I should have posted the article in French or should have went thru and corrected the weak translation?

Who gives a S**T? Although tough to read, you get the point of the article. Don't tie me to the tracks because you didn't realize it was translated.
                        "I'm not looking for the best players, Craig, I'm lookin' for the right ones......"

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Montreal throwing Lucia under the bus now? Sweet. Couldn't have been their scouting dept. I suppose? After all, they've been so relevant the last few years.

Oh there is no question that's what they're doing.....But in the interest of fairness Lucia signed Fischer and not Kyle Medvec. Sure....Fischer looked like the clear choice at the time but how that did turn out? Again....Lucia doesn't have a crystal ball but it's still on his watch.
                          "I'm not looking for the best players, Craig, I'm lookin' for the right ones......"

Comment

Originally posted by Duey View Post
                            Oh there is no question that's what they're doing.....But in the interest of fairness Lucia signed Fischer and not Kyle Medvec. Sure....Fischer looked like the clear choice at the time but how that did turn out? Again....Lucia doesn't have a crystal ball but it's still on his watch.
                            No. The article isn't about who Lucia chose, it's about who Montreal chose. Montreal screwed up and now they're blaming someone else for their mistake. Much like the Islanders have done. Lucia has won before, RECENTLY. The Islanders haven't been relevant since the early '80's.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The article makes more sense if you read it in an Inspector Clouseau voice.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                              Twenty red lights in his honor
                              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                No. The article isn't about who Lucia chose, it's about who Montreal chose. Montreal screwed up and now they're blaming someone else for their mistake. Much like the Islanders have done. Lucia has won before, RECENTLY. The Islanders haven't been relevant since the early '80's.
                                Touche......I got off topic and started doing exactly what Montreal did and started going after Lucia.

But in my defense.....I don't care who Montreal picks, I care who Lucia picks. And yes, this is nothing more than Montreal's scouts praticing a little CYA....it just so happens to be true!!

Fischer was a hot mess.....sorry for all you Fischer fans but he was a flop. Was there a bigger flop in the programs history?

Comment

Working...
                                X