Ohio State Offseason 2010: (hopefully) The Dawn of a New Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Offseason 2010: (hopefully) The Dawn of a New Era

Let the discussion begin.... I think most of us will be shocked if Markell is back next season. That being the case, how quickly is a replacement found? Who are the leading candidates? Any chance J.B Bittner is back next season in some capacity? Is there any way Dalpe is back for another year? No matter what, it should be an interesting couple of months.

Re: Ohio State Offseason 2010: (hopefully) The Dawn of a New Era

Hey, at least this thread was started 24 hours later than I would have guessed when we drew Miami in the 2nd round. Markell has to go, that ship has run it's course.

I hope Dalpe comes back but it is all going to depend on what the NHL wants. If they want him, he'll go.

Comment

It has to happen. I held full season tickets before moving to Chicago. Since then, I've always tried to come down for one big weekend every year. No more! If Gene Smith doesn't make the move to show that he cares about the future of men's hockey at Ohio State, why should I care?

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
        It has to happen. I held full season tickets before moving to Chicago. Since then, I've always tried to come down for one big weekend every year. No more! If Gene Smith doesn't make the move to show that he cares about the future of men's hockey at Ohio State, why should I care?
        That unfortunately is an attitude many previously loyal followers of Ohio State hockey have come to adopt. When is enough enough? New coach, rejuvenated program, and everything is joy in Mudville again! The only thing against them is how do you get OSU to understand that a serious ethical breech is committed when you kick a team out of their building for a high school event?

Comment

In my opinion if Markell is gone it will be by the end of this week. His contract is up and if it isn't going to be renewed then let him know and get on with the search. If it is going to be renewed than make the announcement and work out the details later. Don't let indecision hurt recruiting. The longer it goes without an announcement the more likely that he will be back.

Say what you will about Markell, but he is probably the main reason that there are expectations of the program. I appreciate what he did, but believe it is time for a change.

If he is gone I will be curious about the direction of the program. Will the new coach be experienced and offer a quick fix or will the new coach be young and be allowed to build slowly?

Comment

If they renew Markell my guess is that we will lose as many as 8 players (4 draft picks and 4 others), maybe more. Not sure if Gene realizes how much of a negative impact bringing him back would have - it would set the program back to square one.
            Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
              Sterling Cooper, my sentiments exactly. If Gene Smith doesn't pull the plug on this coaching staff, he will be telling me loud and clear that he doesn't give a rip about our men's hockey program. If he doesn't give a rip, why should we?

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                If they renew Markell my guess is that we will lose as many as 8 players (4 draft picks and 4 others), maybe more. Not sure if Gene realizes how much of a negative impact bringing him back would have - it would set the program back to square one.
                Who are the 4 others?

I can see if we lose the draft picks. If the NHL thinks there players are ready and calls them up. Or they can take them early if they don't like what the current coaching staff is doing to develop there player.

Example of this was in the WCHA with the Minnesota Gophers team and coaching staff. The New York Islanders didn't like the way they were developing there player and they took Kyle Okposo out of that program early.

This might be the case for Dalpe and others if there is no change in the direction of Ohio State hockey coaching staff.

My " VOTE " is for what ever will get this program back on track and near the top.

Work hard in the off season Bucks and be ready to come back stronger next year.
                " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Up in the Air, The Sequel

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                  In my opinion if Markell is gone it will be by the end of this week. His contract is up and if it isn't going to be renewed then let him know and get on with the search. If it is going to be renewed than make the announcement and work out the details later. Don't let indecision hurt recruiting. The longer it goes without an announcement the more likely that he will be back.

Say what you will about Markell, but he is probably the main reason that there are expectations of the program. I appreciate what he did, but believe it is time for a change.
                  Nicely put, Draighlicht.

It will be interesting to see how long Gene Smith lets this drag out. Do I want Markell gone? No. Anyone who's ever been fired, downsized, displaced, or terminated--and yes, that's experience speaking--would not wish that on anyone. It's not something I want to occur.

But occur, it must.

If OSU decides to retain Markell, I wonder not only how many players will stay (as Arpod stated) but also how many fans will come back. For me, it's not about where the team finishes in the standings, or how they do against that team up north (or down south), but rather are they performing as well as they can, and do they continue to improve? They have not.

Certainly, the program has risen from the doldrums of the mid-nineties, but that benchmark is no longer relevant. Yes, under Markell's helm it has reached a higher plateau, but that plateau is more tenuous than secure, filled with dizzying slides back downhill, only to climb back up--back to the same level as before, then plummeting again. Enough.

So, the question for the administration is: can they risk putting their fan base through this any more? The decision to keep Markell may, if nothing else--and, as osualum86 suggets--put a stamp on just how much importance the university places on the hockey program. Are sporadic trips to the Joe and occasional appearances in a regional enough? If they think it is, then he stays.

I'd like to think otherwise: that they think it's time for a new era on OSU hockey; that they see there's another, higher level to attain.

But please, Gene, whatever you do, make the decision. And make it soon.

Comment

If he is gone I will be curious about the direction of the program. Will the new coach be experienced and offer a quick fix or will the new coach be young and be allowed to build slowly?
                    Very well said, and I concur with Brewmaster's comments below.

I also appreciate what Markell (and Geiger) did with the program. When Welch's contract was not renewed, the program was in complete chaos, with even less fan support at the Ice Rink. Markell did give the program respect, even when the local media and opposing fans and programs did not. If he goes, I do wish him success, but I think he has done all he can at Ohio State.

If Markell goes, I suspect Dalpe follows. He's probably packing his things now.

As for the new coach, do the assistants (Brent and Bittner, who I have very high respect for) stay, or does the program make a new start?

It's going to be an interesting off season, unfortunately for a few of the wrong reasons.
                    'Must win? World War Two was a must win.' - Marv Levy

Comment

I tend to agree with this. John Markell accomplished things here that had not been done before (Mason Cup, NCAA Tournament Appearances, Frozen Four). At the same time, he has never gotten us to that upper echelon level where we are a top 5-top 10 program competing for national titles on a regular basis. As Brewmaster put it, none of us want to see a guy lose his job. As I have said before, John Markell is a good guy whose players go to class and graduate. However, if we want to get to the next level, we need to make a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                        The writing is on the wall regarding player development under Markell. I've never seen a coach bring in such highly touted recruits only to watch their talent stagnate or even regress to such a degree this side of Charlie Weis. Steckell and Umberger seem to be the two biggest examples, but there are countless others. Given that history, I just don't see how Ohio State can continue to attract the level of player to compete at the top echelon of the CCHA much less nationally.

Comment

Just a quick comment on Sunday night. I was able to watch online and used that free promo code, thanks! I think the effort was there the whole game but I felt we really didn't start playing until the 3rd period when we actually created some scoring chances. Just a very conservative first 2 periods, but I suppose you could say it almost worked. I don't have the stats in front of me but the PP seemed to look much better the past few weeks including one last night. Unfortunate we could not draw a few more PP chances. Can't quite figure out how the 2nd goal went in. Seemed like Carlson had the post hugged. Lastly, what a chance for Albert at the end.

Who knows what the future holds? Is it on Gene Smith's radar?

Comment

Re: Up in the Air, The Sequel

Originally posted by Brewmaster View Post
                            Are sporadic trips to the Joe and occasional appearances in a regional enough? If they think it is, then he stays.
                            Problem is that I don't even see that as attainable down the road. That is what Markell accomplished with Kessler, Steckell, Umberger, Dalpe type talent. I just don't see The Ohio State hockey program attracting those players in the future with the current regime in place. I see a return to the true dark days post Pooley brothers, when Ohio State was a perennial cellar dweller.

At least back then, the old ice rink provided a rowdy, fun environment. Pulling 1200 fans into the Schott will just be depressing.

Comment

What does everyone think of the current staff running the summer camps?
                              I got a pamplet at the Alaska game and thought it was odd that the current staff was listed. Was it bad timing, poor planning or what????

Comment

Working...
                              X