http://www.10tv.com/live/content/spo...l.html?sid=102

Comment

Re: Ohio State Offseason 2010: (hopefully) The Dawn of a New Era

Merry Christmas!

Markell Out As Ohio State Hockey Coach
      Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:37 AM
      Print Story
      E-mail Story
      COLUMBUS, Ohio — John Markell's contract will not be renewed as head coach of Ohio State men's ice hockey, sources told 10TV Sports on Tuesday.
      In 15-plus seasons behind the Buckeyes' bench, Markell compiled a 280-268-56 career record.
      After four consecutive 20-plus win seasons from 2002-2005, the Buckeyes have had a winning record just once, in the 2008-09 season.
      Under Markell, Ohio State hockey made six NCAA Tournament appearances, including a trip to the Frozen Four in 1998. The Buckeyes also captured the CCHA Tournament in 2004, the first such title for the school in 32 years.
      Ohio State also significantly upgraded its recruiting under Markell.
      National Hockey League players R.J. Umberger (Blue Jackets), Ryan Kesler (Canucks) and Dave Steckel (Capitals) all played for the Buckeyes, while others (Rod Pelley, Nate Guenin, Tyson Strachan, Sean Collins, Eric Meloche and Corey Elkins) have spent time in the NHL.
      Markell was named interim head coach during the 1994-95 season, replacing Jerry Welsh. The interim tag was removed on May 22, 1995.
      Stay with 10TV News and 10TV.com for additional information.
      ©2010 by 10TV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comment

Needed to be done. Let's not lose sight of the fact that Markell ran an exemplary program in many regards, with a very high apr and never hearing of his kids getting into any kind of trouble. It's just that the on-ice direction of the program became unacceptable and an unfortunate, but necessary, decision needed to be made.

Comment

Did they clean house or just the Head Coach?
          " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Do you guys think this will affect possible players leaving like Dalpe?

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
              Did they clean house or just the Head Coach?
              Usually, it's left up to the incoming coach who stays and who goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                Do you guys think this will affect possible players leaving like Dalpe?
                Perhaps. Honestly, given Markell's track record of talent development--or lack thereof--I'd say the Hurricanes might have told him to leave if Markell had stayed. Even in the worst case scenario, it's a little bit of collateral damage to the fundamentally necessary surgery.

Comment

I know he hasn't been there a year, but is there any way we could we intice Dean Blais from UNO? Rumor was that he liked really living here in town when he was with the Blue Jackets. tOSU definitely has the $$$ to bring in a big name coach. Ken Hitchcock?
                  sigpic
                  Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Comment

Now on USCHO's home page.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...OhioState.html

Not surprised. I'm sure he'll land on his feet and I wish him well.
                    'Must win? World War Two was a must win.' - Marv Levy

Comment

UNH has an assitant you guys should look at taking (please, I beg you) with head coaching experience in the CCHA... (hint was at LSSU)
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        UNH has an assitant you guys should look at taking (please, I beg you) with head coaching experience in the CCHA... (hint was at LSSU)
                        Scott "Switch" Borek. It's going to be an interesting search.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleachered View Post
                          Scott "Switch" Borek. It's going to be an interesting search.
                          I never heard the "switch" part - what is that?

But yes him - please, please, please take him away...
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                            I never heard the "switch" part - what is that?

But yes him - please, please, please take him away...
                            Playoff game at the old ice rink. LSSU was being beaten badly, Borek kept switching goalies for some unknown reason during each whistle and the crowd started yelling "switch, switch" at each stoppage of play.

Ah, those were the days.

Comment

I appreciate where Markell took the program, but it was time for a new era to begin. Hopefully the players will be excited for the move and get behind whoever we bring in.

Comment

The press release:

The contract of John Markell, head men’s hockey coach at Ohio State, will not be renewed, Gene Smith, Ohio State associate vice president/director of athletics, announced Tuesday. Markell has served at the helm of the Buckeyes the last 15 full seasons, beginning his tenure as the interim head coach in 1995.

“We appreciate John’s service to the institution but most importantly the young men he mentored,” Smith said. “He is a class person with great integrity. We wish him the best as he pursues his next opportunities.”

Chris Schneider, associate athletics director for sport administration, oversees the men’s hockey program at Ohio State.

“We will immediately begin the process to conduct a national search,” Schneider said. “We will take the appropriate time to find our next head coach.”

Markell was 280-267-56 in his career at Ohio State. He led the squad to six NCAA tournament berths, including the program’s first Frozen Four appearance in 1998, and to a CCHA tournament championship in 2004.

“I appreciate the opportunity I had to coach at Ohio State,” Markell said. “I’m proud of the young men I had the chance to coach and watch grow up both as hockey players and in life. I’m proud of the accomplishments we had as a team over the years. I wish nothing but the best to the Buckeye hockey program and the people around it. I’m thankful for everyone I worked with at Ohio State, including the assistant coaches, the administration and support staff and the alumni.”
                                I'm hoping that Gene Smith is looking at this as a legacy hire. Unless he stays quite awhile, odds are that he won't hire football, men's b-ball or women's b-ball coaches. Hopefully, he is viewing hockey as the sport where he can establish his legacy. All of which just doesn't jibe with the notion that we're going to rush out and name some Miami of Ohio assistant to the position.

Comment

Working...
                                X