Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2010 CCHA Championships 3/19-20: FSU, Miami, Michigan, and NMU

Originally posted by 840MD View Post
    With all due respect to DaveyK who has forgotten more about NMU hockey than I know, I would be very surprised if NMU lost to Ferris. While they did beat UNO at home, it was hardly a shock. 1) UNO didn't travel very well this season (4-11-3) including two losses earlier in the year at Ferris. 2) Ferris is undefeated (12-0-0) at home in CCHA playoffs.

Ferris finished 3-7-4 (prior to UNO). They could manage just two ties against lowly Western the last weekend of the season when the pressure was on to keep their position in the standings. This is the first trip to the Joe since 2002-2003.

NMU finished 8-3-3 (excluding Alaska wins in 1st round) NMU pretty much had their way in Big Rapids in mid-February. NMU is battle tested at the JOE having been there 7 of last 8 years. The Cat Seniors have only missed the Joe one time in their career. My sense is the team feels like they have unfinished business. I suspect Ferris players and fans are just delighted to be at the Joe, as they should.

Nagle has had a good season for Ferris but he ain't Stewie. Ferris has no answer for POY candidate Gussy or CCHA leading scorer Ollie.

Ferris figures they have to win a game. In their minds, NMU seems an easier task than Miami or Michigan. Figure them to come out just like Alaska in the 2nd game at the Berry...trying to win it in the first period. Count on NMU to sit back and play defensively, letting da Dogs tucker themselves out mentally and physically. NMU will get outshot 5 to 1 but very few of those shots will be scoring chances where most of NMU's will be. NMU will score late first or early second and have to withstand a Ferris rush in the first five minutes of the third period and again when Ferris pulls Nagle at the end. Final score 4-1 Cats.

While obviously possible, a Ferris win would be surprising.

I suspect Miami will handle Michigan although it will seem like a very far away game. Having nothing to play for (NCAA), Michigan will tank the consolation game giving Ferris the win they need.

Miami and NMU will be a great contest that will come down to goaltenders. NMU has tremendous respect fo Miami but not one centilla of fear. In fact, NMU would love to face Miami. Not so much the other way around. We lost two 1 goal early season home games to Miami. NMU was stricken with swine flu during that series and would love to have a chance at the Hawks now that they are healthy. The difference will be goaltending. Repeat after me...Stewie Stewie Stewie.

I will also predict that a member of the Northern contingent will steal the NMU banner hanging in the Ren Center. I seem to remember last year the NMU banner was printed with Ferris colors. Kinda p1ssed us off.
    Miami had several players missing the NMU series due to the FLU as well, so that excuse is thrown out. Also don't forget Miami was up 4-0 in that game and NMU fought back to make it 4-3. Stewart is a very solid goaltender but I will take the Miami tandeem over him any day. Just look at the numbers, they speak for themselves. Miami isn't afraid of anyone, so not sure what you are trying to imply there they will welcome any opponent, whether it be NMU or Ferris in game two they are 4-0-2 in the 6 games against them. Also definantly won't be a surprise if Ferris beats NMU friday. Thats a bold statement to make, that a team that finished higher in the standings and is ranked higher would be a surprise to win. NMU is playing extremely well as we all know, but Ferris made a big statement in sweeping UNO and holding them to only 3 goals on the weekend. Nagel is highly underrated and is just as good as Stewart. If Ferris can find consistant offense they have a very good chance at beating NMU. But Michigan is still the team to beat in the tourny, they are playing as well if not better than anyone right now. They are out to make the tournament and have a chip on their shoulder. It will be a very interesting weekend of hockey.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
      Miami had several players missing the NMU series due to the FLU as well, so that excuse is thrown out. Also don't forget Miami was up 4-0 in that game and NMU fought back to make it 4-3. Stewart is a very solid goaltender but I will take the Miami tandeem over him any day. Just look at the numbers, they speak for themselves. Miami isn't afraid of anyone, so not sure what you are trying to imply there they will welcome any opponent, whether it be NMU or Ferris in game two they are 4-0-2 in the 6 games against them. Also definantly won't be a surprise if Ferris beats NMU friday. Thats a bold statement to make, that a team that finished higher in the standings and is ranked higher would be a surprise to win. NMU is playing extremely well as we all know, but Ferris made a big statement in sweeping UNO and holding them to only 3 goals on the weekend. Nagel is highly underrated and is just as good as Stewart. If Ferris can find consistant offense they have a very good chance at beating NMU. But Michigan is still the team to beat in the tourny, they are playing as well if not better than anyone right now. They are out to make the tournament and have a chip on their shoulder. It will be a very interesting weekend of hockey.
      I disagree. Michigan is lacking Depth, and Im still not sold on Hunwick. If Miami is "not afraid of anybody" then why arent they the favorite this weekend? Miami lost a game to Ohio State. So what? They are rivals playing in the playoffs. That does not dimishing anything Miami has done. 3 leage losses all year in the CCHA, you can not sit here and tell me they are not the favorite.
      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
      2006-2007: 15-24-2
      2007-2008: 20-20-4
      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
        I disagree. Michigan is lacking Depth, and Im still not sold on Hunwick. If Miami is "not afraid of anybody" then why arent they the favorite this weekend? Miami lost a game to Ohio State. So what? They are rivals playing in the playoffs. That does not dimishing anything Miami has done. 3 leage losses all year in the CCHA, you can not sit here and tell me they are not the favorite.
        I would forsure say Miami is the Favorite, but Michigan is playing really well lately and is playing for alot on the line! what has it been 18 years since they missed out last? They have also been a scoring machine! And you talk about rivalries, Michigan went into Munn and took out #2 State

Either way I am intrigued by both games, I think the Ferris NMU matchup will give the fans a great game!

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
          Just because I think Michigan is the team to beat, doesn't mean Miami is afraid of them. Watching Michigan play the last three weeks they are playing extremely well. I agree they lack depth and that has hurt them all year and is why they finished 7th. But Caparusso is hitting his stride and Hunwick has played well. Im not fazed by Miami's loss to Ohio st., but watching them play they aren't playing their best and have a question on who is going to be in net. Knapp played extremely well on sunday and Reichard had some issues friday and saturday. Michigan is playing better hockey right now. Doesn't mean I think they are a better team, if Miami gets back on track they are the best team in the field in this tournament and maybe in the national tournament. Getting pushed to 3 games was good for them, having the week off they did have some rust. It will be interesting to see, but Michigan is hitting on all strides right now. Doesn't mean Miami won't stop them, I think they will but they are still playing well.
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Let's just man up and make some predictions.

NMU handles FSU 4-1
            Miami takes out UM 5-3
            FSU drops Mich 6-2
            NMU beats Miami 2-1

NMU fans get the NMU Banner at the Ren
            Last edited by 840MD; 03-16-2010, 02:04 PM.

Comment

NMU handles FSU 4-1
              Miami takes out UM 5-3
              FSU drops Mich 6-2
              NMU beats Miami 2-1

NMU fans get the NMU Banner at the Ren
              Miami 5 Michigan 2
              Ferris 3 NMU 2
              NMU 3 Michigan 2
              Miami 2 Ferris 1

Comment

Where is Michigan lacking depth other than in net? Hunwick has been more than serviceable, but hasn't seen a team of Miami's caliber yet. He better correct his over-commitment issues. Hogan will presumably get pushed next season by an incoming goaltender.

Michigan was picked by coaches and media to finish 1 or 2 in the league. I don't think those people felt their depth was that thin.

Now if Summers doesn't play, the defense is weaker, but not thin. Kampfer and Langlais are experienced offensive d-men, but are not having their best season. Burlon would be their next best stay at home guy. Llewellyn is an upperclassman that brings a physical side, but is undisciplined. He and Pateryn usually rotate, since one is a penalty machine, the other a turnover machine. Moffie is the youngest, and is still making freshman mistakes. When they play within themselves, like they have the last several weeks, they are decent. When they contribute offensively, which they have started to do, the team wins. Next season's recruiting class will replace two starters and possibly force another to sit.

The forwards are led by Rust, Hagelin, Caporusso and Brown. Stop those guys offensively, you pretty much stop Michigan. Lately, though, guys like Lebler, Winnett, Glendening,Treais, Wohlberg and Lynch have been showing up on the scoresheet. Vaughn, Rohrkemper, Sparks, Ciraulo rotate out of the lineup and are 4th line energy type players. No, this team is not the juggernaut of past years, and can't send out offensive balance like Miami can. But they have not been the same team since the playoffs started. They seem to have a better commitment to backchecking, forechecking, closing gaps and creating offensive chances off of their defense. The blueline is contributing points and have cut their turnovers and mistakes. Penalties are still an issue, and that resulted in the only goal scoring the Spartans did this past weekend, even with the solid PK Michigan has. They still have speed, but lack a little size.

Speculation is, Michigan's incoming class will produce at least one anticipated sniper, maybe two to replace Lebler and fill Czarnik's spot.

Comment

NMU 4 FSU 3
                  MIA 5 UM 1

UM 4 FSU 1
                  MIA 4 NMU 0

This is the first year I can remember that I don't have a jersey to support a team.
                  Anybody but Northern

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    How about this:

Ferris and Michigan win Friday
                    Michigan and NMU win Saturday

CCHA gets at least 4 teams in the tournament, depending on how Alaska falls in the PWR.
                    I would not like that so much. #1 seed is still on the line!
                    http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                      Where is Michigan lacking depth other than in net? Hunwick has been more than serviceable, but hasn't seen a team of Miami's caliber yet. He better correct his over-commitment issues. Hogan will presumably get pushed next season by an incoming goaltender.

Michigan was picked by coaches and media to finish 1 or 2 in the league. I don't think those people felt their depth was that thin.

Now if Summers doesn't play, the defense is weaker, but not thin. Kampfer and Langlais are experienced offensive d-men, but are not having their best season. Burlon would be their next best stay at home guy. Llewellyn is an upperclassman that brings a physical side, but is undisciplined. He and Pateryn usually rotate, since one is a penalty machine, the other a turnover machine. Moffie is the youngest, and is still making freshman mistakes. When they play within themselves, like they have the last several weeks, they are decent. When they contribute offensively, which they have started to do, the team wins. Next season's recruiting class will replace two starters and possibly force another to sit.

The forwards are led by Rust, Hagelin, Caporusso and Brown. Stop those guys offensively, you pretty much stop Michigan. Lately, though, guys like Lebler, Winnett, Glendening,Treais, Wohlberg and Lynch have been showing up on the scoresheet. Vaughn, Rohrkemper, Sparks, Ciraulo rotate out of the lineup and are 4th line energy type players. No, this team is not the juggernaut of past years, and can't send out offensive balance like Miami can. But they have not been the same team since the playoffs started. They seem to have a better commitment to backchecking, forechecking, closing gaps and creating offensive chances off of their defense. The blueline is contributing points and have cut their turnovers and mistakes. Penalties are still an issue, and that resulted in the only goal scoring the Spartans did this past weekend, even with the solid PK Michigan has. They still have speed, but lack a little size.

Speculation is, Michigan's incoming class will produce at least one anticipated sniper, maybe two to replace Lebler and fill Czarnik's spot.
                      Ok, the last time I checked this thread was about the 2010 playoffs, not 2011. The incoming class comments are not relevant, neither is the preseason stuff. UM is better now than they have been all year. We know this. Now it's time to prove they can play with the best the league has to offer. I think they can, but will fall short.
                      Anybody but Northern

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                        I would not like that so much. #1 seed is still on the line!
                        Agreed, rhm's predictions just seem so much more plausible

Comment

To my knowledge, Miami has never beaten Michigan at Joe Louis. And, there have been very few "happy endings" that I've been a part of at that cool old barn so I guess my expectations are tempered. Until proven otherwise, Michigan has our number in the state of Michigan. I know we swept at Yost this year, but I don't think that counts for much in March. Knowing our history there, I'm just not overly optimistic and I don't think we're playing our best hockey right now. Hopefully we haven't peaked too soon.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. Regardless, I'll be there this weekend hoping for a first-ever Mason Cup.
                          http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by scullyer View Post
                            Ok, the last time I checked this thread was about the 2010 playoffs, not 2011. The incoming class comments are not relevant, neither is the preseason stuff. UM is better now than they have been all year. We know this. Now it's time to prove they can play with the best the league has to offer. I think they can, but will fall short.
                            Who the @#*! are you to make a judgment like that?

I saw two posts that called out Michigan's depth. I countered it. The media and coaches didn't see any problem during the preseason, and most cases the biggest question during the season was not that Michigan didn't have talent or depth, but why they weren't executing. So it is relevant.

They are also looking at filling their "depth" issues with their incoming class, so it is relevant.

Your last comment is just condescending conjecture.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                              Who the @#*! are you to make a judgment like that?

I saw two posts that called out Michigan's depth. I countered it. The media and coaches didn't see any problem during the preseason, and most cases the biggest question during the season was not that Michigan didn't have talent or depth, but why they weren't executing. So it is relevant.

They are also looking at filling their "depth" issues with their incoming class, so it is relevant.

Your last comment is just condescending conjecture.
                              Wow. Sounds like I hit a nerve. I wasn't really going for that. I guess I just get tired of hearing what the team was "supposed to be" or "going to be". I just like to call it like it is. This is a good hockey team right now. Like Berenson said before Saturday night's win "We are not gaining confidence in Hunwick, we are gaining it from him".

Conjecture.....maybe. I picked them to sweep LSSU and to beat my Spartans in 3 We'll see if I get this one right.
                              Anybody but Northern

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                                To my knowledge, Miami has never beaten Michigan at Joe Louis. And, there have been very few "happy endings" that I've been a part of at that cool old barn so I guess my expectations are tempered. Until proven otherwise, Michigan has our number in the state of Michigan. I know we swept at Yost this year, but I don't think that counts for much in March. Knowing our history there, I'm just not overly optimistic and I don't think we're playing our best hockey right now. Hopefully we haven't peaked too soon.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. Regardless, I'll be there this weekend hoping for a first-ever Mason Cup.
                                Ditto. I haven't been around very long and have only been to the Joe once, but the only clear memories I have of JLA are from the Michigan-Miami final in 2008. As if the close 2-1 loss wasn't bad enough, I had to deal with the rudest and most obnoxious Michigan fans I have ever encountered. The best part? They were probably 10 years old and were being encouraged by their fathers to throw food at and taunt those of us in the Miami band. I got pelted in the head by ice cream balls all game and was instructed not to respond in any way because I was a "representative of the University."

I hope we can make those kids cry on Friday, but I'm definitely not overly-confident it will happen...
                                Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Working...
                                X