ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ECAC Semifinals & Finals: Albany, NY

For those of you unable to make it to Albany - this from the Watertown Daily Times

This weekend's ECAC Hockey semifinals and championship games will be televised, the conference announced Monday.

The NHL Network will carry the semifinals on Friday night. The afternoon game between Cornell and Brown starts at 4 p.m., while St. Lawrence and Union play at 7 p.m.

The championship game will be on Fox College Sports Pacific at 7 p.m. Saturday.
    DirecTV has both channels, check your local cable $ystem if they carry them.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      Didn't UHM also mention that the dorms are closing Friday? Also, although a very welcome and supporting presence, students even at Messa rarely are more than a few hundred. The Union regulars will attend, but the real unanswered question is how many casual local hockey fans will do so, based on the Union participation. If RPI was in it, I'd guess several thousand would attend who might not ordinarily. I've no idea if similar numbers will come out because of Union. I'd also bet that a lot of RPI fans will be there too as I've seen them in good numbers in previous years.
      Just a little update on the bus/free ticket situation. People can sign up until Thursday (sign-ups started yesterday) and there are currently 20 students signed up for 100 spots...I'm really hoping it gets filled up but again, it's tough since we must vacate the dorms by Friday at the latest. I guarantee you that if school was in session, they would need more than 100 spots.

There has never been a bigger buzz on campus about the hockey team than there is right now (the second most is maybe right after the 1/16 RPI game this year where the rink was 300-400 people over capacity and we jumped to #7 in the PWR). For once, I'm not the only one talking about Union hockey.
      LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        I know the scheduled game 2 start is 7:00, but isn't likely that it will be closer to 7:30? I have to make a pickup at Amtrak at about 6:30 or so.
        I would assume game 2 would definitely start 1 hour after the conclusion of game 1. After 7PM would be a safe bet.

Comment

They'll sell beer even though it's ECAC hockey, right?

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
            Yes. That rule only applies to on-campus events.

Comment

IIRC, they won't or can't. Which is weird because they always used to have it at the Governor's Cup. I'm told it's an ECAC thing.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                It's been fun. I'll miss having you around.
                Someone wrote this when giving me another cute little red spot this afternoon:

"You may be one of the most annoying new posters I've seen yet."

I'm so flattered!

Comment

Originally posted by klumpmypants View Post
                  Yes. That rule only applies to on-campus events.
                  Only in Broadway Joe's, not in the actual arena. Wish they would realize that intermissions are spent down at the bar anyway, not like they're keeping anyone sober by not selling it in the rink.

Also, this thread has been super fun to read.

Comment

Originally posted by StayPuftMMcu View Post
                    Only in Broadway Joe's, not in the actual arena. Wish they would realize that intermissions are spent down at the bar anyway, not like they're keeping anyone sober by not selling it in the rink.
                    The ECAC is more uptight about alcohol than the MAAC is, and that's saying something. The MAAC allowed alcohol, but only one per customer (TUC usually allows two) and required vendors to stop serving before halftime at the championship game.

I can see why campuses wouldn't want to have alcohol served to some extent (which, contrary to the know-it-all, is not strictly because those buildings are on campus, but rather, because of the ECAC's rule - I've been to a few on-campus buildings outside the league that serve alcohol, notably, Agganis and Magness), but to restrict alcohol sales at the neutral-site, off-campus tournament is pretty foolish, in my view. Let people have a good time and let the venue make some bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                      Someone wrote this when giving me another cute little red spot this afternoon:

"You may be one of the most annoying new posters I've seen yet."

I'm so flattered!
                      He's jealous because he used to get all those comments.

The ECAC's ban on alcohol was one thing, but apparently they're banning weapons, and that's a second amendment infringement. We really could have avoided a lot of problems if the Founders had just written hard cider* into the Constitution.

In any case, the no alcohol rule seems to work in most buildings. The difference between a typical ECAC crowd and, say, an NHL game, is night and day, and I doubt it's because the former are gunning for their sheepskins.

(* actually, hard cider sucks, but if the NRA can extend a musket to a semi-automatic, we could extend cider to anything imbibable)
                      Last edited by Kepler; 03-16-2010, 05:23 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Doesn't banning weapons have something to with a recent incident at a hockey game? I can't remember what level, but I seem to remember reading something about it. Not that I'd have a need to bring weapons to a game... unless the game were in Potsdam, I'd have to defend myself somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Doesn't banning weapons have something to with a recent incident at a hockey game? I can't remember what level, but I seem to remember reading something about it. Not that I'd have a need to bring weapons to a game... unless the game were in Potsdam, I'd have to defend myself somehow.
                          IIRC, it was the usual high school hoops stabbing.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Oh wow. So there's going to be no beer at the TUC? Gonna have to pre-game it hard. I thought for sure they would have it there. Ridiculous.

Comment

Oh wow. So there's going to be no beer at the TUC? Gonna have to pre-game it hard. I thought for sure they would have it there. Ridiculous.
                              Flask!

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                IIRC, it was the usual high school hoops stabbing.
                                Correct, Albany High. or the" high" as the locals call it.

Comment

Working...
                                X