NCAA Frozen Four: UMD vs. Minnesota -- the Sibling Rivalry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Frozen Four: UMD vs. Minnesota -- the Sibling Rivalry

Have you ever witnessed a conflict between sisters? They can get pretty intense. Well hockey games involving sister institutions are ripe with emotional turbulence as well. But deep down, you know that they really love ... let's just say they have strong feelings about their sibling and leave it at that.

The Bulldogs and Gophers meet for the 6th time in one season. This last happened in 1999-2000, the first year of both the UMD program and the WCHA. UMD, the #1 seed, defeated #2 seed Minnesota in the WCHA title game. They entered the national tournament as the #2 seed, and met #3 seed Minnesota in a national semifinal. Ten years later, #1 seeded UMD has defeated the #2 Gophers in the WCHA title game, and the 'Dogs are seeded second as they meet the third-seeded Gophs in the national semi.

May history repeat.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Re: NCAA Frozen Four: UMD vs. Minnesota -- the Sibling Rivalry

Hey ARM -- get an original thought. Stop plagiarizing me.

Just kidding... I'll give you some credit here. I missed the part about the upcoming game being the 6th meeting between the two schools, and I didn't mention the seedings for the two teams in the WCHA and national tournaments.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
      Hey ARM -- get an original thought.
      I'm happy just to have a thought, original or not.

Times official, this game is at 8 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        I'm happy just to have a thought, original or not.

Times official, this game is at 8 PM.
        Great, I was hoping they wouldn't schedule them in the afternoon.

I assume a single ticket gets you into both games? For yesterday's games I was pleasantly surprised that the prices were the same as regular season games; hopefully they won't raise them TOO much for the Frozen Four.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Is there anything left to say about this match-up? I just hope that both teams come in to the game healthy and ready to go. UMD's advantage seems to be "D" in the past few games . . . we'll see . . .

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
            Is there anything left to say about this match-up? I just hope that both teams come in to the game healthy and ready to go. UMD's advantage seems to be "D" in the past few games . . . we'll see . . .
            We were missing a D in the q'final. It would be great to have her back for the FF so I hope she's mended and ready to go. ARM mentioned her absence and noted she has been playing well...she has indeed.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Let's see... "UM" and...uhh... "UMD"

Hmmm, one has a D, and one doesn't. How perfect!
              Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Okay, this is weird...I was just checking my FF tickets and noticed a strange disclaimer on the back:

Ridder Arena bans the import, possession, sales, consumption, smuggling and all cerebral ponderance of Whoopie pies on these premises.
                This could be a problem eh?
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Is there anything left to say about this match-up?
                  If not, we'll just make stuff up.

I just hope that both teams come in to the game healthy and ready to go.
                  I imagine both teams have players who aren't going to get truly healthy in the course of a week, but they'll just lace 'em up and go like they have been of late.

UMD's advantage seems to be "D" in the past few games . . .
                  Fewer mistakes in general. For some reason, I feel good about this one. I haven't for the last couple of meetings, but I don't think it is a case of UMD being better than UM; I think we match up fine. The big question in my mind is if the Gophers can play 60 minutes. We won the battle of the top lines last time, and if we do that again and stay out of the box, I like our chances.

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                  Hux is probably now either in mourning or deciding not to attend.

Comment

Okay, this is weird...I was just checking my FF tickets and noticed a strange disclaimer on the back...

They still allow Caddyshack dancing gophers, right?
                    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                      They still allow Caddyshack dancing gophers, right?
                      The gopher is fine, it is the crazy human dancing with it that might be a problem.

Comment

Okay, this is weird...I was just checking my FF tickets and noticed a strange disclaimer on the back:

Well, we won't pick up our tix till we get to Will Call, but as long as Internal Posession is not prohibited, I think we've found a loophole for all our guilty pleasures
                        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Quote:
                          Ridder Arena bans the import, possession, sales, consumption, smuggling and all cerebral ponderance of Whoopie pies on these premises.

Maybe that only applies to the sibling rivalry game?

Otherwise, SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Even the cereberal ponderance, huh? Geezz...I hope they can't check for other stuff that way!
                          Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

As I suspected . . . nothing left to say . . .

Comment

UMD needs to have a good week of practice and a better week of motivation from the coaches and team leaders after their performance against New Hampshire. Considering the opponent, the venue and the stakes, I don't think that's going to be a problem.

I guess the NCAA is streaming a free video feed at least of Friday's games. Of course, the NCAA's national basketball championships are starting...you know, where only the best 982 teams make it to the playoffs...so the Bulldogs/Gophers game might be buried on the NCAA website. If anyone finds a link, feel free to post it.

Comment

Working...
                              X